• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sotheby's golden age children's illustration art auction on April 11 2011

12 posts in this topic

My friends are having an auction at Sotheby's of golden age children's illustration art on April 11

After reading several discussions here in the past I thought there might be a few board members who might find some items of interest in the lots represented.

Just a few of the artists whose work is represented are:

Boutet De Monvel

Brunhoff

Disney Studios

Edmund Dulac

Heath Robinson

Willy Pogany

Beatrix Potter

Arthur Rackham

Here is a link to the overview page:

http://www.sothebys.com/app/paddleReg/paddlereg.do?dispatch=eventDetails&event_id=30664

and here is a link to the online catalog, it takes a moment to load:

http://www.sothebys.com/app/ecatalogue/fhtml/index.jsp?event_id=30664#/r=index-fhtml.jsp?event_id=30664|r.main=event.jsp?event_id=30664/

Thanks for looking!

Lee

Kendra and Allan Daniel, as both collectors and dealers, stand in the forefront of the relatively recent recognition of children's illustration as fine art

pretentious drivel meter just went through the roof :/

Author's license and perspective. :foryou:

what about the art :baiting:

meant no offense to your friends... but the "HEY GUYS ITS REAL ART NOW, SO DONT WORRY BUYING IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU DUMB ANYMORE" marketing from the auction house rubs me the wrong way. I didn't check out the entire catalogue but I did see that Jessie Wilcox Smith, which is very nice indeed.

A lot of 2nd tier paintings/drawings with a few nice paintings thrown in for good measure.

MI

That's kind of harsh, isn't it? I mean you could say the same about the vast majority of auctions out there.

Author's license and perspective. :foryou:

what about the art :baiting:

meant no offense to your friends... but the "HEY GUYS ITS REAL ART NOW, SO DONT WORRY BUYING IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU DUMB ANYMORE" marketing from the auction house rubs me the wrong way. I didn't check out the entire catalogue but I did see that Jessie Wilcox Smith, which is very nice indeed.

None taken :)

That's their job to romance the objects.

I'm not one for labels either I like what I like because it speaks to me, not whether it is considered important or not.

True, but the question wasn't posed about other auctions, just this one.

However, the statement is still true.

Thank you for your response.

They are wonderful people and I wish them the very best for their auction.

Hopefully by posting here I've assisted in helping make somebody aware of this collection who finds something they have been

looking for that might otherwise have gone by unnoticed. That's why I love these boards for all the information and varied perspectives.

Cheers!

Lee