• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you rather have Glue or Tape???

20 posts in this topic

On your comics would you be more upset with glue on the spine ,ETC. or Tape???? I remember a article with Steve Borock talking about both!! Fill me in . I forget, I know everybody would want neither but if you were confronted with a book you really wanted ,which one would you guys pick??? I myself don't mind sealed tears with archival glue,that's my opinion!!! What's yours??? Also I'm talking about vintage books 1930's to early 60's!!!

Whichever is easiest to remove confused-smiley-013.gif

Archival tape over glue - glue over other tape. Most hideous - masking or duct tape. Yes I've actually seen books "repaired" this way. Here's another one - coupon clipped from ad page- or 1" triangle missing from front cover corner?

Here's another one - coupon clipped from ad page- or 1" triangle missing from front cover corner?

My personal view has always been a piece out of the front cover is a collectible low grade book (we're talking about Golden Age here), but a missing interior coupon is an incomplete comic that gets sent back to the seller. I suppose it's because I can't stand hidden surprise defects. With the piece out of the cover, everyone knows what they're getting, and the book is priced accordingly! thumbsup2.gif

To clarify, I'm assuming either defect would be disclosed in advance. As I collect GA mainly for the cover art, and would rather have a cover with solid eye appeal on a low grade book than a coupon I could care less about. That being said, I am fully aware of the stigma attached to missing coupons and would pay accordingly. I am always happy to pay the 2.0 price for a book with a sharp looking cover, but has internal defects that don't impact the stories to any significant degree.

On your comics would you be more upset with glue on the spine ,ETC. or Tape????

I accept that I'm really very different to most collectors in this, because I just want to have the comic and for it to look eyepleasing.

That's why I love restored comics. I just bought a beautiful restored Adventure 61 to upgrade my tatty old copy.

My two most beautiful looking books in my collection are my two near-mint Susan Cicconi restoreds - New Fun 5 and Detective 22.

She may have done my Action 2 - it looks so utterly pristine and beautiful and not actually looking restored at all, that it could easily be her wonderful work. I admire her so much. I would much rather have those comics than lower grade unrestored ones, because to me it's not about value or grading, it's about having the complete run of every DC.

I saw no need to restore my Action 1 because although it's low grade, the front cover is complete and very pleasing to the eye. On the other hand, if I'd bought that woefully horribly overgraded one we were all debating on here a while back, with mould and a huge piece out, then it would have gone off to Matt Nelson with seconds of its arrival.

My Detective 27, however nice it looked and with white pages, had a split spine, so there really was no choice to me - I was never gonna leave it looking like that.

But between glue and tape, I'd choose glue everytime. Tape only works if it's archival tape used to fix in a missing piece and touch it up. Then it becomes invisible. Having said that, I don't mind it on the inside of a cover to seal a tear, but prefer to not see it on the front cover if I had a choice.

My Action 1 has tape on the spine but I don't mind that so much.

Can't sniff tape.

I wouldn't imagine that glue put on forty or fifty years ago would smell any different to the tape. But I've seen plenty of collectors take a comic out of a mylar and the first thing they do is sniff it.

Imagine drug dealers on New York street corners - "hey you wanna sniff a More Fun 52" ????

Can't sniff tape.

I wouldn't imagine that glue put on forty or fifty years ago would smell any different to the tape. But I've seen plenty of collectors take a comic out of a mylar and the first thing they do is sniff it.

Imagine drug dealers on New York street corners - "hey you wanna sniff a More Fun 52" ????

If you were around in the 50's or 60's you'd probably recognize the smell right away.