• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP - Foray Into Non-Horror GA

27 posts in this topic

Thanks to the GA Cigar and threads like Show me Your Nedor, Timely etc. I have to say the more I look at these books the more they intrique me. To the point that, with Wondercon almost here, I will pursue some of the Superhero type GA books. Especially the Centaur, Nedor/MLJ and similar non DC/Timely books. I'll be looking for VG grade books. I may go for a Timely just to have one (have a nice early Wonder Woman I got from Joanna so I can say I have a DC superhero GA book! grin.gif)

But I need some HELP - some suggestions. Now I'm only going to allocate about $1,000 to this genre at Wondercon and need some recommendations on what titles/number ranges to look for that give good bang for the buck, so to speak. I want to assemble as broad a spectrum as I can so will avoid multiples of the same title unless their is a content changeover where one hero maybe took over from a previous one (if such a thing exists).

I have been subconsciously prepping for this for a year or so. Shield's excellent site has been very helpful. The scans posted here have been revelatory. I am exceedingly comfortable in the pre-code horror genre, the Jungle/Jumbo/JoJo etc genre, the action genres like Startling, Thrilling, Dagar, Wings etc. BUT the GA Superhero genre (especially the 40's and WWII) is really foreign to me on a first-hand basis.

So please, for the love of Mister Mystery, some guidance here would be much appreciated. Also, I am, at least at this point, not looking for keys. Just the plain old bread and butter superhero book. thumbsup2.gif

Get a mid grade Marvel Mystery in the 40-65 range. Look for one with the hooded ku klux klan nazi covers. Those are always awsome. And I think 64 has a cool cover with people getting run over by a spiked vehicle.

I had some luck picking up a few 3.0- 3.5 MMs with Schomburg war covers for under $200 last year - but I expect that more and more collectors are realizing that they are among the cheapest Timelys you can find and prices are rising. Issues 52-66 are your best bets. A great value are the Schomburg War Nedors - with some notable exceptions, they can be found in the VG range for $75-$150. Black Terror/Exciting covers are among the coolest non-Timely Schomburg efforts, and far cheaper. MLJs seem to sell for a bit over guide when they have a really cool cover, but once again are cheap when compared to Timelys. If you're interested in DCs, there is alot of late 40s stuff that can be found for well under $150 in the VG range if you are patient, including Batman books. As popular as they are, many GA DCs are downright plentiful when compared to other companies' output, and can be found for 60-70% of guide, sometimes even less.

A great value are the Schomburg War Nedors - with some notable exceptions, they can be found in the VG range for $75-$150. Black Terror/Exciting covers are among the coolest non-Timely Schomburg efforts, and far cheaper. MLJs seem to sell for a bit over guide

Hey thanks! thumbsup2.gif At this juncture I am loking for quanity as well as cool books. You know - new genre. Get the feel for them. Actually I may even hit the GOOD books as oppsed to VG. I figure I can always recoup what I paid or close to it by selling them should I want to upgrade - hmmm - maybe just plain old Goods would give me the breadth I need to make a decision on the future of my collecting these. Man - the more I think of it the more the permutations tickle me.

hey pov! i have sold a few MM's in the 60's-70's i got $40 over guide for a VG & $65 over guide for a good. I remember the good one was a 64, the other i don't know off hand. Any way, i'd say epect a few dollars over guide for low grade, but nothing nutty. Nedor's i have had some luck with and picked up several under guide, but don't have any left. I hope that helps at all!

Make sure they aren't PRESSED!!!! insane.gif

893whatthe.gif

Just kidding. 27_laughing.gif

Actually, make sure they have COVERS that you think are COOL. Since I believe you mostly collect Horror books, I assume that you like them because of the "Wicked, Cool" covers.

Therefore, I agree with other board members and look for Timely books. The covers of these jump out at you compared to most DC's (and some other publishers).

Happy Hunting!!!!!

Well, am looking, at this point, for VG as oppsoed to Fine. But what do you expect the MM 40-65 range to go for in VG, barring any special issues?

When I said mid grade I meant VG. I personally consider 4.0-7.5 mid grade, I'm sure some may beg to differ. I don't know the prices. Timely's seem to get more money for lower and mid grade copies than the DC's do. But I'm sure you can get a very nice VG and still have a big wad of you 1K left.

Hey Pov have you ever read Tec 64. That's got a cool Joker EC horror type story. There's a great pannel with the electric chair. The Joker is fryed but he created a serum andis brought back to life by his thugs. When Batman goes to bring him to stand trial again he can't because it would be double jeopardy and the Joker goes scott free until he screws up again. Only problem aside from it being a Joker story the book carries a major premium due to it being the 1st appearance of the Boy Commandos.

If you are looking for variety, you might want to pick up a Quality comic. The early Quality's had some great interior art by the likes of Jack Cole, Lou Fine, Reed Crandall, Paul Gustavson, Nick Viscardi (Nick Cardy), Alden McWilliams, and others. Titles like Smash and Feature tend to be relatively inexpensive as their covers generally aren't that exciting. The books with Lou Fine covers (National, Hit) tend to be on the more expensive side. Some of the issues of Police have great Jack Cole Plastic Man covers and that title is relatively inexpensive. These books are for the most part anthology titles, with a couple of super-hero stories mixed in with adventure stories and some humor stories. Worth checking behind the covers. 1942 or earlier seems to be a good period.

Speaking of Lou Fine covers, you can't miss with some of the early Fox books. Great covers on the early issues, but the insides are a little lacking. Now if you go to the late 1940's you can always try to find a Phantom Lady. But finding them at reasonable prices is tough.

As to Standard/Nedor, you might want to check out America's Best which is an anthology title. A lot of issues have Schomburg covers and not only do you get Black Terror, but also Fighting Yank and Pyroman (although they don't appear in all issues).

Fawcett's are relatively cheap for Golden Age. Whiz is a good sampler title. Master is better, but you don't get Captain Marvel (just Jr.). However, some issues have knockout Mac Raboy covers.

I think the better Centaur's are those from 1938-1939. You stand a better chance of finding some nicer art. I wouldn't count on finding any under Guide.

The early issues of Heroic are often overlooked. The first 9 issues have Bill Everett covers and stories. They are relatively cheap for books from 1940/41.

I also think that Marvel Mystery's between 41-66 are your best buy. Earlier issues get pricy and later issues are post-WWII.

You might also want to consider some other DC's. Wonder Woman is one flavor of DC, but there's still a wide variety of characters to be sampled.

Timely's suck, don't get any. 27_laughing.gif893frustrated.gif

Since you like horror I'd suggest when picking through them look at the interior art as well. 95% of the most gruesome art is not on their covers. Most dealers really price up those issues in the 40's. Depending on the $$$ you want to spend I'd suggest #51-66.

Timely

POV go get some Jungle's or Jumbos's...or some low grade Xela'a good girls. thumbsup2.gif

Agree with ya Mush - but already got 40 or so Jungle/Jumbo type books! grin.gif

How about Jiggly Jumbos? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I kinda like Jumbo Jigglys! blush.gif

I second the recommendation for Quality books - early Smash issues are fabulous, with outstanding Lou Fine artwork, and they come cheap. Also Jack Cole's Midnight issues are really good.

First - my thanks to all who replied with suggestions.

The real reaon I mentioned was not too interested in Timely and DC is that in my old GA collecting days I owned a good number of both - I really just want to learn more and read more that is beyond my experience - so Timely and DC is definitely low on the list.

Also thank the Timely DC recommendations for taking the tie to reposnd. But rteally looking for the non-Timely/DC - seeking new lands!

And got some good advice here too so thumbsup2.gif

The post by ecfanman was excellent. I would pick up any generic anthology title from pre 1943 (that's what I like anyway).

Fox: Mystery Men (best), Wonderworld, Fantastic

Quality: Police, Crack, Smash

MLJ: Pep, Zip

Fawcett: Whiz

or you could go after the cool obscure titles: Blue Bolt, Lightning, Target, Prize, Speed, Silver Streak, 893blahblah.gif

Try to go after one from each company as a sample. It usually gives you a great feel for what each companies books are all about. Have fun!

OK - I have made some decisions. As some of you know I am trying to complete a pre-code horror type set - that is, one copy of every pre-code horror title. But of late, and as this post reveals, I am wanting to branch out.

I really like the "type set" idea. It gives me a chance to gather a nice representation of the pre-code books.

So I have decided to really broaden my collecting to include not only the GA super-hero books you all have been good enough to advise me on, but also crime, romance, adventure (things like Dagar Desert Hawk, Rangers etc with the GGA covers) and sci-fi (sweet Xela airbrushes there). I have a good start with the Jungle type books as I have a good number of them, meaning I have trading fodder. I will just retain my favorite Jungle, Jumbo, Fight etc. and bring the rest to Wondercon for trading with a few of the dealers I know well.

Seeing that Wartime Romance Baker cover really brought back Baker memories and Romance GA memories. And having acquired on ebay that now legendary in this forum (thanks to OldGuy getting it and posting it and making me say "Man I got to get that!") Perfect Crime 18 (the "Your dope peddling days are over, Cokey!" and "Drop that knife you hopped-up rat!" cover) the crime genre also calls anew.

The cool thing, to me who has not the budget of some folks here, is that I can get really cool books that represent a title. So instead of saving for a full run of Crime Does Not Pay, I only need to buy one and, in doing so, can put more into that one and get an early one (and you GA crime fans know what some of the early CDNP books can be like.)

So, feeling 20 years younger with this idea. And also means I have some new spreadsheets to create. Will be interesting trying to compile lists like my precode horror checklist. The Benton book on Crime will help a lot for the Crime books. Sites like Shield's will help for some of the GA Superhero books. But man this is gonna be fun, I think.