• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Anaheim Comic Con 2011 - April 29-30, May 1

92 posts in this topic

The first list to date is posted, but by no means complete:

http://www.wizardworld.com/exhibitors-anaheim.html

Ummmmm yea, you have what we thought you would have like 5 true comic book dealers, besides Terry Comics who I see every 3 seconds your show has mostly modern dealers. zzz

I probably only need a Friday pass cause within 1 hour I can browse all the comic book dealers in the room. :sorry:

One more thing...Right now we have over 200 artists signed up. I suspect by the time the show rolls around we will be between 225-250. That's pretty massive!

Yes, but how many of these artists can create a buzz because they are in demand.

I am not seeing any main artists or writers that can draw people to the con. (shrug)

Hey all,

We do 13 shows a year, and there are factors that are beyond our control. If you ask Jim, we did call him to let him know about the lack of flexibility, and there was little we could do. I'll take you through the month of April so you can see what happened. The first weekend is WonderCon. The weekend of the 22nd is Easter Weekend.

The other weekends had two major conventions locally that would've conflicted. One was a music festival the other was a TV gathering. They affect the local markets, and if you are not in SoCal, these are not on anyone's radar.

A show 3000 miles away has 0 impact on attendance and in reality, only affects probably less than 10 dealers. I would say there were less than five artists that could not attend, and that is a small number. We will have TONS of dealers. It may or may not be for you, but you can decide what you would like to do. It would be silly to miss.

Yes, but those dealers that may have thought about doing your show will now be in Boston.

Sorry, but besides the SDCC socal convention are just lacking of real comic book dealers with quality material.

I do not see the usual Nor cal dealers attending this show, I mean in my head I already know what comic dealers you were going to get before you signed them up.

These socal shows like Long Beach and Anaheim are just so predictable with no draw. (shrug)

Again I will be going to the show, and hoping to find some quality material so I do not want you think I want this show to be lackluster or anything negative.

My expectations are low so either way I am not going into the convention assuming it will be bad, but I am hoping to see some new comic book dealers rather the same 5-8 in the socal area that I see all the time.

Just saying I have seen more bored comic people at socal shows in general more than any other area in the USA.

Your goal should be to sign up as many comic dealers as you can that is what the comic book collector wants from this show.

Good luck, and I will see you there. (thumbs u

Hey Spiderman,

These events are for everyone and not narrowly focused on one segment, there is enough for everyone. As for saying there are no artists creating buzz, I would disagree with that. Many of the artists are currently working on Top 50 books for both the Big Two, and many of them are hottest independent artists will also be on hand.

These artists are the best at what they do, and judging them afar without taking a good look at their body of work is not how any of us would like to be judged. Think about sitting at your desk working without anyone ever giving you a shot or dismissing you out of hand. Many of these guys are immensely talented and are selling movie properties to Hollywood and bringing fresh styles.

Our shows are PACKED, especially on Saturday afternoon, so if you think it's not working, you should ask the artists and dealers who attend our show and not rely on hearsay.

Rather than going in with "low expectations" and a negative attitude (which almost guarantees a poor time, like going to a birthday party dreading it), why not keep an open mind about what you will see. You will be far happier and more richly rewarded with the experience. In case you haven't noticed, the one-dimensional shows are just not attracting customers, and pretty soon, there will only be a few people left at those events. Ours are the opposite.

Of the list I posted, I challenge you to find anyone with more talent than Michael Golden. In any case, it's all personal preference, and judging by the size of our crowds, we are clearly listening to the audience and delivering a wonderful experience.

wizstephen, sorry, but even I'm not attending Wizard World Anaheim

and I only live 10 minutes away (went last year). I'm flying out to Boston

for their show (due to the artist lineup). I go to A LOT of conventions every

year, and Boston wins over Anaheim this year.

John H.

Our shows are PACKED, especially on Saturday afternoon, so if you think it's not working, you should ask the artists and dealers who attend our show and not rely on hearsay.

Boy, are you REALLY talking to the artists and dealers ?

That's not the feedback that I'm hearing directly from them.

John H.

P.S.: There is a difference between PACKED and attendees that are spending

money. The PACKED means that the promoter makes some money at the gate,

while the spending money means that the dealers/artists are making money.

Remember also that this is a CGC board, where most posters care about

comics, so demanding quality dealers in attendence is a major criteria for them

to attend a convention (no matter how far or close it is located).

My barometer is Harley. Get 3 collectors in the same room, I don't care if it's a Denny's, and Harley sets up. If you can't get Harley to exhibit at your show, then your show is clearly not trying to appeal to anyone interested in gold/silver/bronze/copper comics.

Judging by your website's homepage, you're trying to appeal to people whose interest is out of work TV and film personalities.

These events are for everyone and not narrowly focused on one segment.

It's clear from this statement that you do not consider vintage comics to be a focus of this event, and I think that's why you're getting a lot of backlash here. It's events like these that should be called "pop-culture shows", not comic-cons.

Hey Guys,

We appreciate the feedback, but we just disagree. It's not a big deal. The dealers that come to our shows are cleaning up. Ask the ones that come, not the ones that stay home. If they weren't doing well, they would not come back. Like I said, it's personal preference. This is not backlash to me, our shows are doing great. If you don't make it, you're just missing out. I'm really here to make people more aware of the guests we are bringing in. If it's not for you, then it's not for you. Our shows are working very well for us, the vendors and the attendees. That's all that matters. Some people like Bruce Springsteen, some people like garage bands. No big deal.

-Stephen

Hey nearmint,

We are very happy with who's coming, the turnout, the dealers, vendors, etc. Like any rock tour, it's not for everybody. And we are very happy with what we do. If it's not for you, it's not for you. I live in NYC and on any given night, there are 100 plays, Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Nets, concerts, etc all going on at the same time. Some venues hold 100 people, some hold 80,000. And you know what? They are ALL BUSY! Not everyone goes everywhere. We pick and choose what we like. All I am saying is that we have over 210 artists right now and will probably finish with over 225. We will bring approximately 2500-3000 artists to 13 cities in 2011. If you can't find something you like among that, then that's ok. Then our shows are not for you. And that's cool. I am a Bruce Springsteen fan. I am one of the 80,000 that turn up at Giants Stadium. Some people like indie and garage bands that play to 300 people. That's cool, too. All personal preference. But we like our shows, and the fans love what we do, and the vendors who come out do really, really, well. -Stephen

Hey Spiderman,

These events are for everyone and not narrowly focused on one segment, there is enough for everyone. As for saying there are no artists creating buzz, I would disagree with that. Many of the artists are currently working on Top 50 books for both the Big Two, and many of them are hottest independent artists will also be on hand.

These artists are the best at what they do, and judging them afar without taking a good look at their body of work is not how any of us would like to be judged. Think about sitting at your desk working without anyone ever giving you a shot or dismissing you out of hand. Many of these guys are immensely talented and are selling movie properties to Hollywood and bringing fresh styles.

Rather than going in with "low expectations" and a negative attitude (which almost guarantees a poor time, like going to a birthday party dreading it), why not keep an open mind about what you will see. You will be far happier and more richly rewarded with the experience. In case you haven't noticed, the one-dimensional shows are just not attracting customers, and pretty soon, there will only be a few people left at those events. Ours are the opposite.

Of the list I posted, I challenge you to find anyone with more talent than Michael Golden. In any case, it's all personal preference, and judging by the size of our crowds, we are clearly listening to the audience and delivering a wonderful experience.

I did talk to the comic dealers last year as I am a comic book dealer who works for a big dealer in this hobby in which I know you have talked to many times.

The comic dealers said last year it was one of the worst shows they have ever set-up at.

Of all the WW shows you put on this is the most unattractive of the bunch.

Michael Golden is okay, but not a draw.

This is not up for debate you have zero main event draws for an artist or writer at this show. (shrug)

No Stan Lee, Jim Lee, Kirkman, etc...

Most of the crowd will be anime teenage kids that will be attending this show will be bringing $20.00 bucks to the show and not spending jack on actual COMIC BOOKS.

Of course there will be people at this show, but their is a big difference in attendance in which Wizard already made their money, and the comic book dealers actually making money from the attendees.

I have a lot of experience in this hobby as I usually attend 20-30 comic book shows a year, and all the feedback I got from CGC and vintage dealers was that this show last year was brutal.

Judging the the lineup of exhibitors and guests I see that trend continiueing.

I hope I am wrong, but I highly doubt it.

I will be there again either way just because I might as well kind of thing, but I guarantee just like the Long Beach Comic con I will be pretty bored trying to find good old books will be pretty sparse as most southern California comic conventions.

Best of luck to the show as I want it to be good.

Hey Spiderman,

Although you think you are correct and there is no arguing, I will just say that our dealer reports, sign-ups, res-signs, feedback, and overall numbers do not bear out what you are saying. Every part of this show is greater than last year. We have more vendors, more dealers, more sponsors, more pre-tickets sold, more celebs, more of everything. I do not think our shows are for you, and that's ok. I didn't actually ask for feedback on the boards, I was just posting the info so it would be helpful for others to decide if they like our list. Maybe other people have different tastes than you. And as for Michael Golden, I think anyone who knows anything about comics would disagree. I will not respond to you anymore and I wish you happy collecting. -Stephen

Hey Spiderman,

Although you think you are correct and there is no arguing, I will just say that our dealer reports, sign-ups, res-signs, feedback, and overall numbers do not bear out what you are saying. Every part of this show is greater than last year. We have more vendors, more dealers, more sponsors, more pre-tickets sold, more celebs, more of everything. I do not think our shows are for you, and that's ok. I didn't actually ask for feedback on the boards, I was just posting the info so it would be helpful for others to decide if they like our list. Maybe other people have different tastes than you. And as for Michael Golden, I think anyone who knows anything about comics would disagree. I will not respond to you anymore and I wish you happy collecting. -Stephen

Well when you post on a feedback web-site that is what you get.

All I am getting is private PM from people who agree, but do not feel like posting in this thread.

The funny thing is you are probably thinking we are arguing or I upset which is not the case.

I am not debating the show will not make money or you have a good amount of pre-sale tickets, cool I am glad.

You just have to realized you are advertising this show on a CGC forum website that mainly deals with old vintage collectibles, and WW Anaheim is massivly lacking that aspect.

WW Anaheim is more of a teeny bopper, anime, TV show driven show with comics being very over-shadowed.

sorry, but for people on this site to be excited to go you need to even have the "comic book" dealer line-up of atleast WW Philly etc....

Best of luck to the show as I want it to be good.

Your PR work is terrible.

lol

No I just keep it real as you know. ;)

You really want me to show the irony though in your last statement. :baiting::whistle:

Hey Spiderman,

Well when you post on a feedback web-site that is what you get.

All I am getting is private PM from people who agree, but do not feel like posting in this thread.

The funny thing is you are probably thinking we are arguing or I upset which is not the case.

I am not debating the show will not make money or you have a good amount of pre-sale tickets, cool I am glad.

You just have to realized you are advertising this show on a CGC forum website that mainly deals with old vintage collectibles, and WW Anaheim is massivly lacking that aspect.

WW Anaheim is more of a teeny bopper, anime, TV show driven show with comics being very over-shadowed.

sorry, but for people on this site to be excited to go you need to even have the "comic book" dealer line-up of atleast WW Philly etc....

That's much better.

:baiting: