• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 11 - Is JRjr the new Rob Leifeld?

40 posts in this topic

Just picked up the last few issues of the new Avengers series. I loved the Infinity Gauntlet series from back in the day so thought I'd give this a go.

Dear sweet jeebus - this must be the ugliest book ever drawn. :sick:

Since when did Wilson Fisk become The Watcher???

avengers_11_p03.jpg

No way.

Despite how JrJr's style has changed over the years and many folks don't like it, he doesn't even come close to Liefeld in terms of ineptitude. Even Milgrom in his 'let's draw 12 covers and interiors for 13 books this month' couldn't out-Liefeld Liefeld (I know, that's like trying to compare Jim Brown with Adrian Peterson - different eras and all).

Liefeld is the Chuck Norris of bad comic book art.

Just picked up the last few issues of the new Avengers series. I loved the Infinity Gauntlet series from back in the day so thought I'd give this a go.

avengers_11_p03.jpg

Big heads are the in thing at Marvel at the moment.

ross.jpg

I just hope somebody doesn't post that Liefeld Captain America in this thread..

ABVHLC03e.jpg

I don't know how any editor looked at that and thought.... "Oh yeah, this looks great." (thumbs u

avengers_11_p03.jpg

Reminds me of Apocalypse Now era Marlon Brando.

avengers_11_p03.jpg

Well, to be fair...Uatu has ALWAYS sported a gigantor noggin, and he's ALWAYS been one of the funniest looking, most ill-proportioned, characters in the Marvel universe.

Picking on how anyone draws The Watcher is about as poignant as ripping on the paint job of a demolition derby car. It may suck, but it was built that way to begin with.

avengers_11_p03.jpg

Well, to be fair...Uatu has ALWAYS sported a gigantor noggin, and he's ALWAYS been one of the funniest looking, most ill-proportioned, characters in the Marvel universe.

Picking on how anyone draws The Watcher is about as poignant as ripping on the paint job of a demolition derby car. It may suck, but it was built that way to begin with.

JRJR has been mailing it in for years. It is good to know you keep his escutcheon burnished. Keep looking at those DD pages, because those days are looooooooong gone.

avengers_11_p03.jpg

JRJR has been mailing it in for years. It is good to know you keep his escutcheon burnished. Keep looking at those DD pages, because those days are looooooooong gone.

Maybe I can get you a Foggy Nelson page.

avengers_11_p03.jpg

Like every species see Galactus different maybe everyone sees the watcher different

It's not just that Watcher pic, JRjr's whole game has got pretty damned bad which is a shame cos he can be so much better. Some of his interpretations of Thor in the new Avengers series have been terrible IMHO.

Please show some other examples of JRJR's recent poor work. He's one of my favorites, but I've stopped following moderns, so I'm out of the loop.

Thanks!

Going back to my original post - Every panel on every page of this series.

I only posted the Watcher pic as it looks nothing like the character to the point of being absurd.

I agree that in the grand scheme of things, Leifeld is probably the worst artist in the business but in his defence, at least you can recognise his (badly drawn and incorrectly proportioned) characters. If the Watcher pick had no text, I wouldn't have had a Scooby Doo who it was supposed to be. In fact I'd have put money on Kingpin.

Having picked up and read the last 4 issues on a whim, I'll not be picking up any more till a new artist is assigned.

Just read this book. I don't think JR JR is the only one phoning it in. Does Bendis read other marvel books besides what he writes? Or does other writers continuity not matter?

I hope that's a big red herring at the end of the book. Abnet and Lanning are writting great stuff and I'd hate to see it ignored...