• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Fast Track posted by lpersky

8 posts in this topic

Is it really worth it?

Recently I sent in two books under the Modern Fast Track teir hoping that the extra $8 per book would get my books graded and returned to me sooner. The published turnaround time on this level of service is 10 business days, excluding show Fridays. Well CGC, today is the 10th business day and my books still show as "Recieved" and there is no comic line data for my books... What's the hold up? I would at least expect to see some progression over the 10 business days like I typically would other levels of service, or is this just how it's done with MFT and on the 10th day the grades appear?

I wonder if CGC doesn't get my books graded relative to the turnaround time if I can get a refund or credit on future submissions, since I paid extra? Just a thought.

See more journals by lpersky

I believe that if they don't meet the fast track timeline then they refund your extra fee for the fast track service. Maybe someone else can back me up on this (I have never had it happen).

just got off the phone with customer service and no, they do not refund the extra fee for fast track even if the turnaround time approaches other tier turnaround times.... kinda makes me think i should have just submitted them as normal modern submissions and saved the $16... that's another book i could have gotten graded....

maybe CGC should start guaranteeing turnaround times similarly to Beckett Grading Services for example.... I submitted through BGS at the 2 week services AND I RECIEVED MY CARD IN THE 2 WEEK PERIOD, it wasn't just graded and out the door by then, it was IN MY HANDS by then.... CGC would probably see increased business if they did... I think if CGC didn't enjoy the current 'monopoly' that it has on the industry, their model might be a bit different (of course they will say that there is no monopoly because PGX exist, but let's face it, do you submit through PGX?)...

or here is some more free advice, maybe hire more graders? I'm sure they have the cash to put another person on payroll... or open a West Coast branch/division, I could run it for them :) ... just a thought...

AHHH but if you did run it for them then I believe they have some sort of rules and regulations about buying and selling graded books. I don't ever plan on doing the fast track because as you mentioned with that extra money you could have had another book graded. If I want a quick turnaround time, I will just submit at a show with the same day service.

I do hope you get your books back shortly.

Tnerb

yeah I think "Fast Track" might have been a big waste of money. According to the "Services and Fees" section of the site, which was updated last on 04/07/11 (today), all levels of service are "On Time"... if that is the case and today is the 10th business day according to their qualifications (my invoice shows received as of 03/23/11 and there was a show on 04/01/11), shouldn't my books be graded by now? that only makes sense right? Otherwise they are not "On Time".

and just as an update, they now appear as "Verified".

just got off the phone with customer service and no, they do not refund the extra fee for fast track even if the turnaround time approaches other tier turnaround times.... kinda makes me think i should have just submitted them as normal modern submissions and saved the $16... that's another book i could have gotten graded....

maybe CGC should start guaranteeing turnaround times similarly to Beckett Grading Services for example.... I submitted through BGS at the 2 week services AND I RECIEVED MY CARD IN THE 2 WEEK PERIOD, it wasn't just graded and out the door by then, it was IN MY HANDS by then.... CGC would probably see increased business if they did... I think if CGC didn't enjoy the current 'monopoly' that it has on the industry, their model might be a bit different (of course they will say that there is no monopoly because PGX exist, but let's face it, do you submit through PGX?)...

or here is some more free advice, maybe hire more graders? I'm sure they have the cash to put another person on payroll... or open a West Coast branch/division, I could run it for them :) ... just a thought...

i tried PGX first. they're not bad... but i don't buy the "faster" turnaround of theirs. there's no option to use USPS, just fed ex. and for the price they charge for the return postage, it should be the fast kind of fed ex. it took 10 days to get to me after it was shipped. might as well just go with CGC and USPS.

UPDATE: my 2 books submitted on the fast track have been graded. FYI, I submitted two copies of Wolverine (vol 4) #1 Campbell "Deadpool" variant... one is a 9.6 and the other a 9.8...

overall I guess the fast track isn't so bad after all if it takes 10-11 days for the grades... still beats the 20 day expectancy under normal situations... the consumer in me still would like to see guarantees in the future though as a reassurance for my money spent...

now hopefully the US Government comes to some agreements on the budget to avoid the shutdown, I would hate for my books to get stuck in some sort of USPS limbo lol...