• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adult content

86 posts in this topic

I'm really trying to figure out if I'm in a minority here (on the large scale)

I don't think there is such a thing a too much foul language, too much nudity, or too much violence, in entertainment media. I, for one, am glad that the comic book industry has evolved (along with me and my tastes) into adult content.

Vertigo books, MAX, and some of the indy stuff has really made me happy by portraying things in a MORE realistic light. I mean, let's face it, a teenage superman is going to peek through a wall into the girls locker room! It's normal!

The thing that confuses me, though, is a [percieved?] undertone throught these boards that this is all a bad thing. A lot of posts starting with, "I'm no prude, but..."

I don't get it? Is my corner of the world perverse and unholy? ( I don't mind, I just didn't think it was the minority opinion)

I put this in modern because there's little from the pre-90's books that ever 'pushed the envelope' in the mainstream.

I don't think there is such a thing a too much foul language, too much nudity, or too much violence, in entertainment media.

I mostly feel the same way, but like all good things I like mine in moderation. I like that there are different lines like Marvel Knight, MAX and their regular stuff. I'd hate to see just one.

As long as the comics are labeled in such a way as parents can tell that a comic isn't for kids, it doesn't bother me. However, concerning the long term success of the industry, I do see a problem with Marvel making the vast majority of their comics with adult content. Where is the next generation of fanboys going to come from if everything is geared towards adults and kids aren't allowed to buy the newest Amazing Spider-man, Fantastic Four, Avengers etc... because it has too much adult content?

I think most folks here are fine with a more adult set of books, but don't see the need to solely focus on the aging comics reader at the expense of the all-ages style of books that got many of us hooked on comics in the first place.

Personally, I'm glad there are more adult comics out there, but my preference is for brand-new series that push the boundaries, rather than ret-conning Silver Age superheroes to be dark, dirty, grim & gritty.

But I gotta ask...

I don't think there is such a thing a too much foul language, too much nudity, or too much violence, in entertainment media.

...you're exaggerating just a bit, yes? I mean, there's a time and place for everything. What works on HBO or Vertigo does not necessarily belong on something like a Superbowl halftime show or the latest issue of the Avengers or the Outsiders, f'instance.

I put this in modern because there's little from the pre-90's books that ever 'pushed the envelope' in the mainstream.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Here's a newflash: Superheroes are NOT real, so "more realistic Modern comics" is an oxymoron, at least in terms of your:

portraying things in a MORE realistic light. I mean, let's face it, a teenage superman is going to peek through a wall into the girls locker room! It's normal!

comment.

Now if you want totally realistic comics, go back to some of the 1980's Independant comics like Love and Rockets. I'm no fan of these books, as I like totally unrealistic entertainment (like Watchmen), much as you probably do with current Modern comics.

What you are probably mistaking for "more realistic comics" is simply a different spin in totally unrealistic characters, scenarios and stories. thumbsup2.gif

I think most folks here are fine with a more adult set of books, but don't see the need to solely focus on the aging comics reader at the expense of the all-ages style of books that got many of us hooked on comics in the first place.

Personally, I'm glad there are more adult comics out there, but my preference is for brand-new series that push the boundaries, rather than ret-conning Silver Age superheroes to be dark, dirty, grim & gritty.

But I gotta ask...

...you're exaggerating just a bit, yes? I mean, there's a time and place for everything. What works on HBO or Vertigo does not necessarily belong on something like a Superbowl halftime show or the latest issue of the Avengers or the Outsiders, f'instance.

Exaggerated? A BIT, yes. I don't like it just for thae sake of having it, but for the sake of a a more realistic story, absolutely.

Avengers and Outsiders, I had no problem. Frankly, I didn't realize the problem until later.

The Superbowl thing, BFD in my book. Stupid, stupid stunt, but look at the majority of superbowl viewers...lemmings.

Kids are gonna learn that stuff, I'd rather my kids learn it when I'm around to explain things, than on the playground (where I had to learn) or even on the internet....

I just think the less censorship the better. Sorry, didn't mean to get political.

I agree, I would hope there would be more options rather than less, as long as it's marketed correctly. What I find truly offensive is the amount of time and resources expended to give me less choices. Bubba the Love Sponge fired and Howard Stern suspended over the uproar from the Superbowl. There are real issues out there that need more immediate attention, and this isn't one of them. I'll remember in November.

Exaggerated? A BIT, yes. I don't like it just for thae sake of having it, but for the sake of a a more realistic story, absolutely.

It's just a concept. Once you start putting super-powered guys in tights into a comic, the term "realism" gets tossed out the window.

While I don't mind sex and violence in truly realistic and possibly thought-provoking scenarios, I find this whole "sex in superhero comics" thing rather childish, and when I see the fanboys at the LCS giggling over Antman getting it on with Wasp, I feel sorry for these poor guys.

I grew out of that phase by about 15. confused-smiley-013.gif

Supposed adult content for the sake of "adult content" is the point of concern for me.

It's the story/art that's important, NOT, whether they get their cup of cussing and breasts into each issue. Also, some of the adult content books are just trying for the shock factor to create a buzz for the book.

I enjoy a G rated silver age book more than most modern stuff. That said, sure mature content works when it is directly relevant to the subject/storyline. But it is not necesarily required to tell a good story. This goes for movies as well as comics. Hey, growing up most of us couldn't get into R movies, but we could get access to the current comics. For me I don't feel that I missed anything by not getting to see/hear nudity or harsh language any earlier than I did. Life goes on without a daily dose of the "Real World"(not MTV) in comics or other entertainment sources. I read for escapism not to be reminded that bills have to be paid, I have to lock my doors, worry about my kids every time they leave the house, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Doesn't have much to do with relevance to the story. (the giggling I mean.) juggle.gif

So exactly what is the relevance of that scene, and how did it contribute to the story?

What you see as "realistic", I see as childish, lame and totally inserted for its shock value. You could take that Antman/Wasp scene out of the comic and it wouldn't have changed the story at all.

Now althought Watchman is another totally unrealistic story, the sex scene contributed to, and even changed, the overall plot.

That's the difference between a gratuitous "fanboy giggle" sex scene or profanity, and including those same ingredients because the story REQUIRES them.

The Superbowl thing, BFD in my book. Stupid, stupid stunt, but look at the majority of superbowl viewers...lemmings.

Hey now... sumo.gif Lemmings are people too damn it! I love the superbowl, but hate the half time show. I missed the Janet incident because we were watching part of Fight Club during half time (I downloaded it later though to see what the fury was about... not all that impressive).

I do agree that adult content is a good thing in the appropriate place. I just don't know that I want to see my long established super hero's becoming something that would air on HBO. I agree with someone else who said earlier that they would like to see new series that push the edge. Bring out some new dysfunksional hero's to play with. Though, I will say that I would't mind seeing a comic with a nice love scene between Jean Grey and Emma Frost 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

When the Hulk was shown threatening to commit rape in Ultimates was the point that Marvel went over the edge IMO. There was no need for it other than stroking the writer's fancy.....

Jim.

I dislike it. Too "hardcore" and I'm turned off. There's enough "real world" in the real world--want it? Put your comic book down and go out to it. But for me, comics are a time of imagination and fun. I can accept material that's incorporated into the plot, but to add more just to make it "hard" doesn't work for me.

Plus, I'm also one of those guys who'll admit that I love comics for their nostalgic effect.

What you see as "realistic", I see as childish, lame and totally inserted for its shock value. You could take that Antman/Wasp scene out of the comic and it wouldn't have changed the story at all.

Now althought Watchman is another totally unrealistic story, the sex scene contributed to, and even changed, the overall plot.

That's the difference between a gratuitous "fanboy giggle" sex scene or profanity, and including those same ingredients because the story REQUIRES them.

But this still comes down to different tastes. You, obviously, want solid substance in your comics. Many people are just looking for pure entertainment and sometimes that includes gratuitous sex. All it is is a difference of tastes.

Many people are just looking for pure entertainment and sometimes that includes gratuitous sex. All it is is a difference of tastes.

Of course, and I really only have a problem when people promote "super hero sex" as being "more realistic". More entertaining to some of the underdeveloped adults in our society maybe, but about as unrealistic as you can get.

I dislike it. Too "hardcore" and I'm turned off. There's enough "real world" in the real world--want it? Put your comic book down and go out to it. But for me, comics are a time of imagination and fun. I can accept material that's incorporated into the plot, but to add more just to make it "hard" doesn't work for me.

Exactly....and I will probably catch hell for the following comment......

I read, and expect, comics to be escapist entertainment. If I want to read about "real world" situations, I'll grab a newspaper. If I want to read the next "great literary" story, I'll grab a novel. Comics that I enjoy are 4-color imaginary stories featuring adventurous heroes that fight a clear good vs. evil scenario. If they try to get "too deep", I immediately get turned off as the format rarely does it well and there are so many other media that does consistently.

There's a reason that Watchmen, Maus, Yossel, and even the Dark Knight are so highly regarded......they are the rare instances where complex issues were done well in comics.

Jim