• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-Hero Marvel Poll!

Pre-Hero Marvel Hierarchy  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Pre-Hero Marvel Hierarchy

27 posts in this topic

Do you mean Uncanny Tales #26?

http://www.atlastales.com/supersize.zdz?t=c&i=4373

Yes, that's the one. Thanks for the confirmation!

UncannyTales26.jpg

I guess I consider Strange Tales and Journey Into Mystery #1s Atlas books, with a different feel than the "pre-hero"s. I think I'm looking for the Beginnings of Marvel, as distinct from Atlas. Post Atlas Implosion. I also left out most of the prototype books, thinking that ST 97 was the big dog there.

In terms of the parameters of the prehero age, I go with its definition as laid out in Comic Book Marketplace #21: Begins Dec 1958 with SW#1/WOF #15 and ends with TOS #38 on Feb 1963. As far as JIM + ST are concerned:

ST #67-100

JIM #50-82

These book were all drawn by the classic Marvel bullpen of Kirby, Ditko, Heck and Ayers. And Kirby drew 138 out of the full 163 covers as well as 120 of the cover story artworks!!! (worship) (worship) Early JIM + ST prior to these dates differ vastly in look + feeling. Those earlier books have much in common with the horror/ supernatural themed comics of the mid 1950's and little to do with the classic Monster preheros.

This seems reasonable to me as well.

Getting back to the original question, the monster books were born as a group, sextuplets - if you'd like, which makes it harder to define a "key." FF1's popularity, by contrast, can be seen as the creative spark and evidence necessary to launch the other superhero titles.

Hey Alan, nice copy! Is that from a know collection? I just know I've seen that "P" with the circle someplace...

It's the White Mountain copy.

You may want to also consider ST 89 - first Fin Fang Foom. I would think this a bigger key book than 97, no?

At the very least it ought to be on the list when pre-hero keys are discussed.