• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the hobby, wondering about something...

71 posts in this topic

so my purpose would be primarily visual. I like the character of worn comics. I think they tell their own stories. It would be like showing 20 different lives that started out identical.

I would be greatly distracted by the fact that they DON'T start out equally, albeit the differences are minor. They usually have different wraps, cuts, and color strikes. Most long-time grade collectors notice those things, although that doesn't necessarily mean they get hung up on the differences.

Logistics is the area I have little knowledge of. I assume it would be fairly difficult to find the lower grades of an inexpensive Bronze Age book just because people who own them would find out they were worthless and throw them away. Books that I could find in very low grades would be unattainable in higher grades because of cost. If I decided to start collecting this way I would probably have several titles in mind and then move forward with whichever issue I found the most low grades of. High grade copies of the same issues should be comparatively easy to find and purchase.

off to work, more thoughts later maybe.

there was someone on the boards that did this already - or set out to, at least. i want to say it was Hulk 181's they were after, but that seems ridiculously prohibitive at the higher grade levels.

but i know the exercise's been tried before

I've been accidentally sucked into this hobby, and have decided to just go with it.

I notice that the grade of a comic seems to be the most important aspect, behind, of course, what comic it is to begin with. I don't generally approach things the same way most people do, so this grade aspect got me thinking:

Has anyone ever collected a full gradation(0.5 - 9.8(seems like the consensus top grade)) of a specific issue?I also asked this in the Ask CGC Forum.

Thanks,

Kevin

That`s an interesting scenario you presented us with (thumbs u you probably couldn`t do it with a golden age comic as the majority of them are low grade, you probably couldn`t do it with copper or modern as the majority are high grade, so that would leave us with trying to do this with mid- silver age book or bronze age book?

We must investigate the census further to see which comic book would be a good

candidate. hm

You guys are all looking in the wrong place. The best book to do this would be an ultra-common modern or Copper book that wouldn`t cost an arm and leg for the 10.0, 9.9 and 9.8 copies. Like a Spawn 1, X-Men 1 (Jim Lee version, of course), New Mutants 1, etc.

1. Buy slabbed copies in 10.0, 9.9 and 9.8.

2. You can decide whether to buy 9.6 and 9.4 copies that are slabbed already or buy NM raw copies and submit yourself. My guess is it`s probably going to be cheaper to buy them slabbed already, if people are even willing to sell those books slabbed in those grades.

3. Similarly, for lower grades, buy slabbed if they are even available for sale and if they cost less than the cost of submitting.

4. For the remaining grades, buy 30 raw copies in no worse than VF/NM condition, and start trashing them in varying degrees. Submit and see what grades you get.

5. Rinse and repeat until you`ve got slabbed copies in all grades.

I've been accidentally sucked into this hobby, and have decided to just go with it.

I notice that the grade of a comic seems to be the most important aspect, behind, of course, what comic it is to begin with. I don't generally approach things the same way most people do, so this grade aspect got me thinking:

Has anyone ever collected a full gradation(0.5 - 9.8(seems like the consensus top grade)) of a specific issue?I also asked this in the Ask CGC Forum.

Thanks,

Kevin

That`s an interesting scenario you presented us with (thumbs u you probably couldn`t do it with a golden age comic as the majority of them are low grade, you probably couldn`t do it with copper or modern as the majority are high grade, so that would leave us with trying to do this with mid- silver age book or bronze age book?

We must investigate the census further to see which comic book would be a good

candidate. hm

The census is a good place to start. At least to get an idea of the time period to choose an issue from. My personal choice would be a bronze age horror title, maybe a Witching Hour. These wouldn't show up in the census at lower grades but should be readily available.

I'm also considering collecting "Bizarro" sets, essencially full runs of 2.0 or less, but that's a topic for another thread I guess.

Someone here was doing something like this with Hulk 181, I think, but I forget who.

That would be a very tough book to do it with, because (1) there is no 10.0 copy in existence and (2) even a 9.9 copy will apparently run you 6 figures, so if a 10.0 copy did exist, I can`t even imagine what the seller would ask for it.

Has anyone ever collected a full gradation(0.5 - 9.8(seems like the consensus top grade)) of a specific issue?

I also asked this in the Ask CGC Forum.

Thanks,

Kevin

Bullseye talked about doing this years ago, but I'm not sure how far he got. He called it a "grading scale wall".

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=629738&Searchpage=1&Main=34630&Words=%2Bscale+bullseye&topic=0&Search=true#Post629738

Link.

as a completionist i would say someone wants a cgc in every grade ? even that sounds silly to me.

gijoed told me his first book he ever bought off of the rack was JLA #21. He's trying to get the book in every possible CGC grade. 0.5 / 1.0 / 1.8 / 2.0 / 2.5 etc.

hm That's an interesting undertaking.

It would be an awesome display, but I imagine getting every grade would only work on something modern, for the usual reasons...Getting a 10 down to NG would be incredibly cool.

A couple of years ago in Chicago I saw him picking up about six copies of JLA #21 from the CGC booth. Had a beautiful looking 9.4

Also saw him subbing a book that he was hoping to get a 1.0, as he already have a 0.5. I told him the book looked too nice and he should rip off more of the back cover.

You guys are all looking in the wrong place. The best book to do this would be an ultra-common modern or Copper book that wouldn`t cost an arm and leg for the 10.0, 9.9 and 9.8 copies. Like a Spawn 1, X-Men 1 (Jim Lee version, of course), New Mutants 1, etc.

1. Buy slabbed copies in 10.0, 9.9 and 9.8.

2. You can decide whether to buy 9.6 and 9.4 copies that are slabbed already or buy NM raw copies and submit yourself. My guess is it`s probably going to be cheaper to buy them slabbed already, if people are even willing to sell those books slabbed in those grades.

3. Similarly, for lower grades, buy slabbed if they are even available for sale and if they cost less than the cost of submitting.

4. For the remaining grades, buy 30 raw copies in no worse than VF/NM condition, and start trashing them in varying degrees. Submit and see what grades you get.

5. Rinse and repeat until you`ve got slabbed copies in all grades.

The problem I have with this is that I actually like the look of natural low grades. Fabricating them would abandon the aspect that interests me the most.

I understand that finding naturally worn issues in each grade would be a task, but isn't that what collecting is about?

At one point I was trying to get slabs at all the various grade levels to use as references when grading, but not all the same issue. that would make more sense, but i didn't feel like getting 20 copies of the same issue in slabs.

I just did a quick look at the census and picked out a few FF's. FF #25 has all the grades from .5 to 9.8. Also FF# 49 & #50.

What if we were to post one certain comic in all the grades to see if we can see a difference. It would require a bunch of us to scan that particular comic. Just need to decide which comic.

Link.

as a completionist i would say someone wants a cgc in every grade ? even that sounds silly to me.

gijoed told me his first book he ever bought off of the rack was JLA #21. He's trying to get the book in every possible CGC grade. 0.5 / 1.0 / 1.8 / 2.0 / 2.5 etc.

hm That's an interesting undertaking.

It would be an awesome display, but I imagine getting every grade would only work on something modern, for the usual reasons...Getting a 10 down to NG would be incredibly cool.

A couple of years ago in Chicago I saw him picking up about six copies of JLA #21 from the CGC booth. Had a beautiful looking 9.4

Also saw him subbing a book that he was hoping to get a 1.0, as he already have a 0.5. I told him the book looked too nice and he should rip off more of the back cover.

I saw this guy at WWChicago a couple of years ago, he was a little disappointed that a book got a 5.0 instead of a 4.5. It was the first time I ever heard someone be disappointed that a book came back too high. lol

I just did a quick look at the census and picked out a few FF's. FF #25 has all the grades from .5 to 9.8. Also FF# 49 & #50.

What if we were to post one certain comic in all the grades to see if we can see a difference. It would require a bunch of us to scan that particular comic. Just need to decide which comic.

You could raid one of the club threads (AF 15, CSS 22, Hulk 181) and get pics of a book in all sorts of grades. Problem is that everyone scans differently.

You could raid one of the club threads (AF 15, CSS 22, Hulk 181) and get pics of a book in all sorts of grades. Problem is that everyone scans differently.

As long as the images are clear they can be easily compiled into one big image.

I like the idea of going from .5 - 9.8 because iirc that gives us 20 books, which in turn gives us 4 rows of 5 or 5 rows of 4 for display purposes. You could also just compile them side by side and scroll from one end to the other.

I'm still thinking about collecting my own, I just think it would be an awesome wall display.