• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AFTER MUCH CONSIDERATION.....

120 posts in this topic

Your statement seems to presume that most people's primary motivation for buying vintage comics is to make money.

Nope, but I doubt even the most altruistic collector, who may have sunk hundreds of thousands (or more) into CGC books, would want to LOSE money.

Your statement seems to presume that most people's primary motivation for buying vintage comics is to make money.

Nope, but I doubt even the most altruistic collector, who may have sunk hundreds of thousands (or more) into CGC books, would want to LOSE money.

gossip.gif (FF struggles with the "A" word...) 27_laughing.gif

If you're serious about this, I'll take you up on it. I wouldn't be able to send the books off for a few months. I'd submit the list of which book underwent which process to someone on the boards, perhaps povertyrow, prior to mailing them.

Nope, as I'd have to get the model of the press (to make sure it's not some tinker toy), see the books in there, and have some valid witnesses that the books were under 5000 PSI for an extended period of time, similar to these amateur pancakes.

I'm not sure how we could work it, other than you dragging a huge book press to a show sometime.

I don't think it's at the top of most people's list as a reason to "love pressing." If it were, they would sell now, before the idea becoming common knowledge has a slight dampening effect on the market.

Nope, as I'd have to get the model of the press (to make sure it's not some tinker toy), see the books in there, and have some valid witnesses that the books were under 5000 PSI for an extended period of time, similar to these amateur pancakes.

I'm not sure how we could work it, other than you dragging a huge book press to a show sometime.

Would you trust ANYONE on the board as a neutral third-party to undergo the experiment? Pov? Redhook? ANYONE?

gossip.gif (FF struggles with the "A" word...) 27_laughing.gif

Well, since you're so eager to call attention to how you misused that word...remind me again how I ever claimed to "altruistically" build my comic book collection? confused-smiley-013.gifpopcorn.gif The two concepts are most commonly a contradiction in terms.

I could probably deliver a press to Darth since he lives only one state away, although I dunno if he's got much interest since the issue is of minimal concern to Modern collectors.

What is this 5000 psi press you're referring to? The industrial one that crushed the robot in Terminator didn't generate THAT much pressure.

What is this 5000 psi press you're referring to? The industrial one that crushed the robot in Terminator didn't generate THAT much pressure.

Okay, for you, I'll accept one of those weenie 2000 PSI wimp models that you can buy on EBay. 27_laughing.gif

Would you trust ANYONE on the board as a neutral third-party to undergo the experiment? Pov? Redhook? ANYONE?

Unfortunately, my restoration equipment (and my "good" collection) was sold before I moved from Boston to SF - during my last "Just not interested in comic books anymore" period of idiocy. frown.gif

Please, Joe trusts no one because he assumes that every one is as full of [!@#%^&^] as he is. makepoint.gif

Jeez,...I live only a couple of miles away..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I could probably deliver a press to Darth since he lives only one state away, although I dunno if he's got much interest since the issue is of minimal concern to Modern collectors.

I know Richmond is still a bastion of secession but Centreville (where I currently reside, right near Manassas) is still in VA confused-smiley-013.gif

Now what's this? I'm getting a press as abelated B-day gift? 893applaud-thumb.gif YAY!

I know Richmond is still a bastion of secession but Centreville (where I currently reside, right near Manassas) is still in VA confused-smiley-013.gif

Now what's this? I'm getting a press as abelated B-day gift? 893applaud-thumb.gif YAY!

Please...Rudd lives on the south-side of Richmond,...they don't know the war is over yet there.....

Jeez,...I live only a couple of miles away..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If he'd accept you, I would agree! Here's the only force-based press I own:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=268&item=3595336256

If that's not good enough, we can use a car jack to hoist up a car, put a few cheapie VF pressing candidates between two pieces of plywood, and stick them under the tires for a day or two (when no rain is forecast).