• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AFTER MUCH CONSIDERATION.....

120 posts in this topic

The funny part about this "Hate Pressing" vs "Don't Care" (the camp I'm in), is now everyone in the "Don't Care" camp wants a press. It's like I'm missing out on something.

Thanks to all the "Hate Pressing" collectors for bring this topic to our attention. thumbsup2.gif

You are missing out... I'm inviting you to my new camp - "Love Pressing" camp cloud9.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm interested for sure; there's really no candidate from the books that I own or collect that would benefit from a press, other than have some aesthetically pleasing to look at bronze readers...this sure beats crushing books between two flat planks under the pressure of several longboxes for months...

After all, the "contradiction," as you so ham-handedly put it, WAS the point... and you apparently still don't get it. foreheadslap.gif

No, 'splain it to me like I'm 5, dipwad popcorn.gif

Do you really think that would help?

I mean, the first explanation obviously didn't take... so what makes you think you have the faculties to fare any better a second time around?

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

The funny part about this "Hate Pressing" vs "Don't Care" (the camp I'm in), is now everyone in the "Don't Care" camp wants a press.

At this point, I bought mine for the same reason I bought a fine-tip brush, several different types of paint, and an exacto knife a long time ago--to learn resto detection by doing.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif You bought a press because you wanted to learn resto. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif You bought a press because you wanted to learn resto. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Resto detection. What are the signs of a book having been pressed using all the different available techniques? I'm not convinced this has been thoroughly researched, and the only way to do it is to try different techniques and see if I can figure out a way to determine it has been done.

You bought a press because you wanted to learn resto.

And how can you truly learn about whether the resto is successful or not without trying to pass the book off as unrestored? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I mean, the first explanation obviously didn't take... so what makes you think you have the faculties to fare any better a second time around?

I think it might help; if nothing else, I'll learn a shiny, new figure of speech I was previously unaware of to dazzle my friends, family, and co-workers. Just as a reminder, here's your original usage of the word:

Hey, FF, YOU'RE STILL OVERPAYING. Get it yet? It's not about "investments"... you've made that ABUNDANTLY clear the last 5,000 times you cried about your beautiful, altruistic reasons for collecting.

What's the "intentional literary device" you're using here, again? I haven't figured it out yet. Was it "contradiction," you said? You're contradicting what with what, again? How have my explanations for the reason I collect been "altruistic," or even the OPPOSITE of "altruistic"? The word just doesn't seem to apply at all the way you used it.

This matters so incredibly little, but it amuses me to see just how long you persist in being a petty, argumentative troll who just can't give up.

Resto detection. What are the signs of a book having been pressed using all the different available techniques? I'm not convinced this has been thoroughly researched, and the only way to do it is to try different techniques and see if I can figure out a way to determine it has been done.

...ummm...putting some books in a press for days/weeks will not teach you anything except how do destroy a book! Good luck with that! makepoint.gif

Timely

And how can you truly learn about whether the resto is successful or not without trying to pass the book off as unrestored? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Your implied purpose for restoration in general in this statement reminds me of how badly the Dupcaks of the world have screwed things up for the Cicconis, Nelsons, and Hefts! frown.gif

...ummm...putting some books in a press for days/weeks will not teach you anything except how do destroy a book! Good luck with that! makepoint.gif

Timely

What will the specific physical signs of the "destruction" be? You don't know for sure until you try or until somebody shows you visual evidence.

The JURY has come back with an ACQUITTAL for the "PRESSED" camp.

Can we let this issue die? flowerred.gif

Where's a good MARKET CRASH THREAD when you need one. grin.gif

Nope - I accept your fine flowewrs but dagnabbit - pressing is still not understood and it must be. Must be....must...Spock! SPOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it might help; if nothing else, I'll learn a shiny, new figure of speech I was previously unaware of to dazzle my friends, family, and co-workers. Just as a reminder, here's your original usage of the word:

Hey, FF, YOU'RE STILL OVERPAYING. Get it yet? It's not about "investments"... you've made that ABUNDANTLY clear the last 5,000 times you cried about your beautiful, altruistic reasons for collecting.

What's the "intentional literary device" you're using here, again? I haven't figured it out yet. Was it "contradiction," you said? You're contradicting what with what, again? How have my explanations for the reason I collect been "altruistic," or even the OPPOSITE of "altruistic"? The word just doesn't seem to apply at all the way you used it.

This matters so incredibly little, but it amuses me to see just how long you persist in being a petty, argumentative troll who just can't give up.

hm. Now why would little FF want to leave off the very explanation he's begging for? It was RIGHT THERE... but you chose not to bring it up (literally).

893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

I seem to remember you struggling the last time you tried playing Grammar Police... maybe you should just stick to being Hammer's apprentice?

I don't know how many books it would take, but it would take 350,000 pounds of pressure equally distributed over the entire surface area of the comic book. That's a pretty high stack.

Now granted, I'm not talking about a superior pro press job, involving a single page and cover, but those amateur "pancake books" where some bozo slaps an entire book under 5,000 PSI for a few hours. Like I mentioned in another post, do some calculations and figure out how many stacked books that would take.