• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover recreations. A quick question.

64 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to purchase a cover recreation directly from the original artist, a well known and well respected artist. He told me he light boxed it-- essentially tracing over his original work, then he inked it. Of course, it is not nearly as expensive as the original cover but he still wants a fair chunk of change for it. I wanted to get some opinions on whether it really has any value since anyone could trace a cover and come close to the producing the same product. How much does it matter to the value that it is the original artist?

Also, this is the only recreation I'm aware of but he could always make another at some point.

The value of a recreation is almost entirely determined by the artist who is doing it.

An ASM #14 cover recreation by an unknown artist is worth about $50-100 if it's perfect, a recreation of it done by an artist like Bob Layton or Bob McLeod is $450-550 being as that's what they charge and that's the going rate for their pieces. The same piece done by Ditko would probably be $30,000.

It's all relative.

Get an artist that you respect to do it and it's worth his asking price. Get a good artist to do it and it's worth his going rate. Get the original artist to do it and it's something more special as it is tied to him historically.

If the artist doesn't matter to you...buy a poster.

The same piece done by Ditko would probably be $30,000.

I'm getting off-topic here, but Ditko doesn't do commissions, surely?

Andrew

No he doesn't, and never has to my knowledge, especially not of Spider-Man. That's why a recreation by him, if one existed or could be had, would command an enormous sum of money.

It's an example of how valuation of recreations run the gamut from peanuts to penthouses depending on who we are talking about, how accessible they are, if they are the original artist to the piece, and the subject matter.

Frankly, the lightbox issue is irrelevant to me when we are talking about the original artist of the piece in question. Jack Kirby could have hired a team of trained circus monkeys to act out the events portrayed on the FF #1 cover and drawn a recreation that way and I don't think it would make it worth any more than a lightbox recreation.

What recreations would warrent something around 10k or close to it? Certain Ditko Spider-Man, Smith Conan, Adams Batman, Robinson Batman, Romita Spider-Man 39, 40 or 50, Miller Batman or DD, Steranko - many, Anderson JLA 1, Infantino Showcase 4, maybe Flash 105, possibly a Jim Lee cover(?), a Kubert Showcase 34 cover, to name a few off the top of my head.

First, let me thank everyone for the wonderful comments and advice given in this thread. I sincerely appreciate it. This shows what a wonderful collection of people are in our hobby.

I hate to be so cryptic and secretive but frankly, I don't want someone to back door me on the deal or to potentially embarrass an artist I deeply respect.

I will give a little more information:

The artist is one of, or in the same league as, the artists mentioned above by OtherworldsJ33. This artist is doing their signature character and one of their best covers. Also, this person does not just crank out recreations like Buscema did. This artist VERY rarely does any recreations and does not like doing them although this artist does do sketches. Hopefully that helps.

What recreations would warrent something around 10k or close to it? Certain Ditko Spider-Man, Smith Conan, Adams Batman, Robinson Batman, Romita Spider-Man 39, 40 or 50, Miller Batman or DD, Steranko - many, Anderson JLA 1, Infantino Showcase 4, maybe Flash 105, possibly a Jim Lee cover(?), a Kubert Showcase 34 cover, to name a few off the top of my head.

First, let me thank everyone for the wonderful comments and advice given in this thread. I sincerely appreciate it. This shows what a wonderful collection of people are in our hobby.

I hate to be so cryptic and secretive but frankly, I don't want someone to back door me on the deal or to potentially embarrass an artist I deeply respect.

I will give a little more information:

The artist is one of, or in the same league as, the artists mentioned above by OtherworldsJ33. This artist is doing their signature character and one of their best covers. Also, this person does not just crank out recreations like Buscema did. This artist VERY rarely does any recreations and does not like doing them although this artist does do sketches. Hopefully that helps.

Coyness...:luhv:

I'm guessing its either John Romita or Joe Kubert.

I like these guesses, but I figure both Romita and Kubert would more likely reimagine the cover, than lighbox their old work.

Does Murphy still draw? Plus I think of him as well known for doing recreations.

Infantino sketches and did recreations, but does he have the steady hand to ink his own works, like he did a decade+ ago, let alone lightbox one?

I hope Superhero goes for it and posts the results here! (...Hoping it's a Ditko!)

Let's also hope it's not going to turn into another unfortunate story of a collector giving the cash up front to an artist and then having to wait forever with no respectful communication as to any updates for the piece and then eventually having to resort to posting the information on sites like this and circling back here.

Good luck with the piece. If you've not paid for it yet, I'd recommend giving a deposit then promising a balance due upon completion of the artwork to ensure the timliness and quality.

Good luck with the piece. If you've not paid for it yet, I'd recommend giving a deposit then promising a balance due upon completion of the artwork to ensure the timliness and quality.

Amen. There are too many stories of deals taking years to conclude. They are a truly painful thing to go through.

Well he hasn't said he's paid it all in advance.

TBH for me 5k down is a hell of a lot anyway, let alone 10k. Personally I think 10k should get something really nice thats published and not recreated.

Hope it all turns out well though and can't wait to see it whatever it is...