• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover recreations. A quick question.

64 posts in this topic

...and another consideration, with aged artists or those in ill health, is "what happens when you pay an artist in advance and they pass away before completing the project?" - although it's a tough situation, and some can chalk it up as the cost of doing business and the inherent risks that comes with it... to others, it is a lot of money and could be akward (approaching the estate) trying to retrieve their rightful money.

With that, aside from deposits, for all purposes, taxation, insurance and proof of ownership as well as the paper trail for authenticity... GET A RECEIPT is my advice.

...and another consideration, with aged artists or those in ill health, is "what happens when you pay an artist in advance and they pass away before completing the project?" - although it's a tough situation, and some can chalk it up as the cost of doing business and the inherent risks that comes with it... to others, it is a lot of money and could be akward (approaching the estate) trying to retrieve their rightful money.

With that, aside from deposits, for all purposes, taxation, insurance and proof of ownership as well as the paper trail for authenticity... GET A RECEIPT is my advice.

When you pay in advance, its sometime even tougher to get your piece or (heh heh) you money back when the artist is still ALIVE -- aged or not!

Good luck with the piece. If you've not paid for it yet, I'd recommend giving a deposit then promising a balance due upon completion of the artwork to ensure the timliness and quality.

Amen. There are too many stories of deals taking years to conclude. They are a truly painful thing to go through.

"Patience is a virue"

Luckily, the cover was already done so no need to worry about those very legitimate concerns. I remember quite well all the trouble with the "patience is a virue" piece.

The artist had the cover recreation priced "interestingly" because he is always asked to do them and does not want to unless people meet his price. After some discussion, and a little begging...OK, a lot of begging...we were able to come to an agreement. I hope to receive it next week.

Luckily, the cover was already done so no need to worry about those very legitimate concerns. I remember quite well all the trouble with the "patience is a virue" piece.

The artist had the cover recreation priced "interestingly" because he is always asked to do them and does not want to unless people meet his price. After some discussion, and a little begging...OK, a lot of begging...we were able to come to an agreement. I hope to receive it next week.

My guess is Neal Adams.

If Neal Adams, I'd hope the quality of the piece rivals this:

http://www.nealadamsstore.com/SOLD--Re-creation-Batman-251-Cover--SOLD_p_345.html

Even 'tho was listed at $40k, to me that feels like "manufacture's suggested retail price" or for those in advertising "rate card", more than fair market value pricing, so at $10k, that would be a nice acquisition.

http://www.nealadamsstore.com/SOLD--Re-creation-Batman-251-Cover--SOLD_p_345.html

Even 'tho was listed at $40k, to me that feels like "manufacture's suggested retail price" or for those in advertising "rate card", more than fair market value pricing, so at $10k, that would be a nice acquisition.

I was guessing . . . but at the end of the day, a re-creation (which, no doubt, can be be spectacular in its own right) cannot hold the same kind of 'historical importance' as the original original . . . (if that makes sense)?

If I wanted to go the route of a re-creation, I'd prefer to go the route of a, re-imagining.

That is, something based on the original image . . . but something different enough to make it unique enough in its own right ., . .

Why have a bog-standard copy, when you can have something new and fresh?

Something to bear in mind if you have a spare $10k to blow . . .

I was guessing . . . but at the end of the day, a re-creation (which, no doubt, can be be spectacular in its own right) cannot hold the same kind of 'historical importance' as the original original . . . (if that makes sense)?

If I wanted to go the route of a re-creation, I'd prefer to go the route of a, re-imagining.

That is, something based on the original image . . . but something different enough to make it unique enough in its own right ., . .

Well if it was the original #251 cover I think you'd have to add an extra zero at the end of that price, so as long as he doesn't crank out a dozen of these, it's a pretty great piece at that price, historical significance be damned. lol

Well if it was the original #251 cover I think you'd have to add an extra zero at the end of that price, so as long as he doesn't crank out a dozen of these, it's a pretty great piece at that price, historical significance be damned. lol

Trust you to chime in with a smart-arse response ;)

Just keeping you grounded, after your pasting of the ignorant Mr. Rae. :foryou:

Just keeping you grounded, after your pasting of the ignorant Mr. Rae. :foryou:

I bow down to your expertise in these matters . . . (worship)

The quality rivals it exactly... ;)

The quality rivals it exactly... ;)

With that being marked sold, it makes great sense and about the right price. I paid a decent chunk ($1,200) of that for a commissioned comic-size sketch from Neal Adams and much less for a nice Mike DeCarlo recreation.

th_Neal-Adams-Joker-Batman.jpg

MikeDeCarlo-Batman251re-creation.jpg

I remember Russ Cochran carrying some Neal Adams covers in his Comic Art Auctions of the 1980s.

I bought a SUPERMAN cover from him for the princely sum of $75 (yep, seventy-five bucks!). It was reduced in price as no one wanted to bid on the art.

I later sold it to a UK collector friend for £250 (you'll have to look up exchange rates to find the $ equivalent).

I came to regret parting with the Supes cover, but was fortunate to find a replacement some years later.

Not exactly a major character, and not action-orientated . . . but I like the dark moodiness of the piece . . . complete with hooded hangman (you can't go wrong with 'hooded hangman' covers!).

25pom8g.jpg

http://www.nealadamsstore.com/SOLD--Re-creation-Batman-251-Cover--SOLD_p_345.html .

Yes, this is the piece I purchased and it looks amazing!!! Neal knocked it out of the park on this. Tight pencils and great inks. I knew I could never obtain the original and Neal wasn't sure it even still exists. Thank you everyone for your help.

http://www.nealadamsstore.com/SOLD--Re-creation-Batman-251-Cover--SOLD_p_345.html .

Yes, this is the piece I purchased and it looks amazing!!! Neal knocked it out of the park on this. Tight pencils and great inks. I knew I could never obtain the original and Neal wasn't sure it even still exists. Thank you everyone for your help.

You paid 40K for this?