• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading comics to mycomicshop.com. Lone Star Comics

39 posts in this topic

i am interested in how this works do you guys buy any books ?.. How much in trade/cash would you guys give for say a jim lee x-men #1 ?..

Go here and you can look up any comic you're interested in from our database of almost 300,000 issues:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/record

The search pages will show you:

- If we're buying the issue or not. If we're already well stocked it won't be on our current want list.

- If we are buying an issue, the page shows you how much we pay for each grade. For more expensive books, our offer prices will be reviewed when you offer a list of books to us for sale, and we will offer competitive percentages relative to Overstreet and GPA.

- If we're not currently buying a particular issue, we'll show you approximately how long it will likely be before we are buying it again. The length of time is based on our current stock on hand and at the rate at which it is selling.

- The page also shows you if the comic is eligible to be consigned with us. Anything with a retail value of about $50 or more, or any CGC book, can be consigned for sale as a fixed price listing or an auction item.

We buy over 100,000 comics a month this way.

Seems shady to me. Not a fan of their grading either. I bought a few books from them off ebay last year and the copies that showed up were definitely not in the grades stated. I returned them and got a refund but overall given the tone of the emails I received and the time it took to see my refund come through I won't do business with them anymore.

You have 100 cash trade in or 120 trade credit.

The book you want is 100 retail or 125 credit price.

Where is the benefit? (shrug) In what scenario would receiving credit be more advantageous?

For some comics it's 1.2x trade. For others it's 1.33x, 1.5x, or 2.0x.

And the 25% higher trade credit price only applies to comics $40 and up.

Your point is valid though, that if you were only selling us comics where our trade credit price is 1.2x the cash amount, and you knew you were only going to be buying comics $40 and up, then you might decide not to take trade credit.

A simple solution to all of this is to price your comics the same regardless, and adjust the amount of credit you give by 25% to your advantage. It has the identical effect, will be 100% transparent, and be almost immediately implementable, provided you have an algorithm for your trade values

A couple of the comics I sent in did seem to be graded a little harsher, than other books I saw scans of on their site, particularly my X-men 94, but I also was happy that my New Mutants 98 graded in at a 9.4. I thought it could potentially come in lower. I was accepting the price offered and not the grade given so I was happy about that until I saw the price of the books I was looking at go up. Anyway, I saw the change on the web site and it lookes clearer to me.

I would also recommend adding something to the FAQ page for selling.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/faq

This is where I would expect it to be spelled out.

mycomicshop.com is unique in that you can actually see the price they are offering for the books. The prices for a lot of books is pretty good imo. With the trade credit price policy I would sell keys on another venue or consign them. It is not worth the time for me to sell (ship) $6-$7 books on ebay. Having some place you can send them all to is a plus imo. If someone is looking at books under $40 there is no difference in cash price vs trade credit price. I was looking at books >$40 though.

They have applied the trade credit adjustment to my account. So, they did provide a quick resolution to my issue. That counts for something.

My submission did contain an Amazing Adventures 11, New Mutants 98, and X-men 94. Maybe that had something to do with the acceptance of the books along with me taking store credit. I am debating whether to send in my second batch. There are some decent books, but not as good as the first batch. We'll see.

I got a really good price on the X-men 94 off of ebay at $96. I figured if I sold it for $100 with all the fees it was a wash with the $94 mycomicshop.com offered. The new mutants 98 had pretty bad centering so I am not sure how much I could have gotten for it. I took $48; The buy price on a 9.4. That is the one I thought was a 9.2. With that I got rid of a couple books that I thought I would have a hard time selling...a really beat up DD #2 and a couple $5 books. This was mainly just to test out the process and I learned what I liked and didn't like about it. As for selling here, maybe I should try a couple and see how it goes.

I did two large trades with them a couple of years ago and was very happy with that process... in fact I didn't know they restructured the cash/credit deal last year.

I'm not too sure about this new way.

I agree with another post in this thread stating that they'd like to be told right up front what the price of a book is regardless of whether you're using cash or credit.

I give them a lot of credit for their upkeep on such a monsterous site, quick responsive customer service and what appears to be accurate grading and reasonable prices (worship) Sure they want to buy big books at low prices to sell for more, but spoon who doesn't?

I have recently conducted a small deal with MCS via their website. I scrolled through their data base of books they had listed as books they will buy. I pulled 100+ books from drek to 80's to moderns, archies I could not sell and books from my $1 books that have been overlooked month after month. The prices they offer are your choice, cash or credit and I opted for cash. I agreed to the list prices, grdaed them and shipped them at my expense. They received the books grarded them and obviously we were agreed on about 40% and they restructured everything pricewise to their grades and yes they actually upgraded and paid more on several that they figured as better than I graded, I thought this would never happen. the original deal was for $300 and I got a check for $250. It cost me $25 to ship and my check included about $3 rebate on shipping. All in all I am much happier with the loot than the books and the time frame inwhich this whole transaction went down was very quick and easy and they are professional and reputable as far as I am concerned. They have a great system in place for taking your unwanted hard to sell books if you dont mind selling cheap. I give them a five star, 2 (thumbs u approval, once you are comfortable with the price they are offering.

What Archies did you trade in? :baiting:

I just finished my 4th trade with them and I normally take a credit to get different books. I trade stuff that either I don't want any more or I cannot sell. It is a nice barter system for me.

I have recently conducted a small deal with MCS via their website. I scrolled through their data base of books they had listed as books they will buy. I pulled 100+ books from drek to 80's to moderns, archies I could not sell and books from my $1 books that have been overlooked month after month. The prices they offer are your choice, cash or credit and I opted for cash. I agreed to the list prices, grdaed them and shipped them at my expense. They received the books grarded them and obviously we were agreed on about 40% and they restructured everything pricewise to their grades and yes they actually upgraded and paid more on several that they figured as better than I graded, I thought this would never happen. the original deal was for $300 and I got a check for $250. It cost me $25 to ship and my check included about $3 rebate on shipping. All in all I am much happier with the loot than the books and the time frame inwhich this whole transaction went down was very quick and easy and they are professional and reputable as far as I am concerned. They have a great system in place for taking your unwanted hard to sell books if you dont mind selling cheap. I give them a five star, 2 (thumbs u approval, once you are comfortable with the price they are offering.

Good to hear! :applause:

One thing I have noticed about their buying system: Their buying prices change constantly. It's kind of like the stock market. You have to pick the most profitable time to sell.

Actually, the same can be said about their selling prices. They fluctuate sometimes, so pick the right time to buy.

I just looked at the db link that was posted. I'm thinking about trying it out. hm

I used to have my subscription with Lone Star when I lived in TX and did a small amount of trading for store credit. While that was before the aforementioned 2010 pricing changes, I found it to be a painless process and have nothing but good things to say about their staff. I've also sold a couple more expensive books directly to Buddy at shows and he was good to work with.