• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor Movie as good as Iron Man

602 posts in this topic

I don't think he was impersonating at the end. I think that was mind-control. But physically was he present?

Ah, you know I had not thought about mind control...that is a possibility.

only $66M in the opening weekend, it's a disappointment, couldn't even beat last weeks winner 'fast five'. :tonofbricks:

Let`s withhold judgment until we see how big the drop-off is in the 2nd week. But if it gets the typical 50%+ drop-off, the movie is going to struggle to hit even the $150 million domestic mark and will have to be considered a huge flop.

You could be quite right about it not doing 150 million but I wouldn`t consider it a flop, as it is well on its way to being a solid moderate hit. Its opening alone trumped the following Marvel movies Hulk ($62 million in 2003), Fantastic Four ($56 million), Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer ($58 million), The Incredible Hulk ($55 million), and the first X-Men ($54 million way back in 2000).

It should do decent box office untill next week when Pirates of the Caribbean 4 comes out.

2c

That may be true but probably not the best gauge. In terms of estimated attendence (as opposed to just overall gross which doesn't account for rising ticket prices along with an IMAX opening) it was behind Hulk, Incredible Hulk, FF 1 and 2, and X-Men. It was ahead of Ghost Rider and DD which as movies speak for themselves.

Plus, it`s not like Hulk, Incredible Hulk, FF 1 or FF 2 were considered to be huge hits. I can assure you that studio execs were not doing high fives over their domestic grosses, and I`m pretty sure they`re not doing them over Thor`s US opening weekend numbers.

well they must be nervous about Green Lantern,Captain America and X-men: First Class then,as Thor was considered to be the winner box office wise of the super hero movies this summer. Interesting how the others will do now at the box office. hm

only $66M in the opening weekend, it's a disappointment, couldn't even beat last weeks winner 'fast five'. :tonofbricks:

Let`s withhold judgment until we see how big the drop-off is in the 2nd week. But if it gets the typical 50%+ drop-off, the movie is going to struggle to hit even the $150 million domestic mark and will have to be considered a huge flop.

You could be quite right about it not doing 150 million but I wouldn`t consider it a flop, as it is well on its way to being a solid moderate hit. Its opening alone trumped the following Marvel movies Hulk ($62 million in 2003), Fantastic Four ($56 million), Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer ($58 million), The Incredible Hulk ($55 million), and the first X-Men ($54 million way back in 2000).

It should do decent box office untill next week when Pirates of the Caribbean 4 comes out.

2c

That may be true but probably not the best gauge. In terms of estimated attendence (as opposed to just overall gross which doesn't account for rising ticket prices along with an IMAX opening) it was behind Hulk, Incredible Hulk, FF 1 and 2, and X-Men. It was ahead of Ghost Rider and DD which as movies speak for themselves.

Plus, it`s not like Hulk, Incredible Hulk, FF 1 or FF 2 were considered to be huge hits. I can assure you that studio execs were not doing high fives over their domestic grosses, and I`m pretty sure they`re not doing them over Thor`s US opening weekend numbers.

well they must be nervous about Green Lantern,Captain America and X-men: First Class then,as Thor was considered to be the winner box office wise of the super hero movies this summer. Interesting how the others will do now at the box office. hm

Really?

I would have put him at the bottom of that list with GL.

X-men has an Uber-successful franchise already up and running for over a decade. They road is paved for X-men to do massive business both from a familiarity standpoint and from established box office performance.

Next would be Captain America. A pop culture icon far ahead of Thor in almost every respect. I would be shocked if Cap didn't do massive business, if for no other reason, but for the fact that they don't have to really climb the mountain of explaining that he's a god, yada yada. He's far more accessible of a hero for movie audiences.

Thor's the tough one to explain to audiences and it still did pretty well.

I don't think he was impersonating at the end. I think that was mind-control. But physically was he present?

When the scientist was talking with Nick Fury (Samuel Jackson), when the camera panned to give his (the scientist's) profile, in the background you could see Loki whispering words to him that the scientist then repeated verbatim (mind control). I couldn't tell if he was next to him, or some distance away, but Loki was there. I'm not sure if he was in "spirit" form or physically there, but was he visible and if so, visible to whom?

When the scientist was talking with Nick Fury (Samuel Jackson), when the camera panned to give his (the scientist's) profile, in the background you could see Loki whispering words to him that the scientist then repeated verbatim (mind control). I couldn't tell if he was next to him, or some distance away, but I saw him. I'm not sure if he was in "spirit" form or physically there, but was he visible and if so, visible to whom?

If he was in spirit form he would not be sporting burns/bruises to his forehead.

:gossip: He was visible only to the audience..for we see all.

2c

Really?

I would have put him at the bottom of that list with GL.

X-men has an Uber-successful franchise already up and running for over a decade. They road is paved for X-men to do massive business both from a familiarity standpoint and from established box office performance.Next would be Captain America. A pop culture icon far ahead of Thor in almost every respect. I would be shocked if Cap didn't do massive business, if for no other reason, but for the fact that they don't have to really climb the mountain of explaining that he's a god, yada yada. He's far more accessible of a hero for movie audiences.

Thor's the tough one to explain to audiences and it still did pretty well.

I am willing to guess X-men will come in with the lowest box office of the four superhero movies this summer. why? The answer is no Wolverine in movie,as we are going to find out that it`s been Wolverine who has been carrying the X-men all these years. Then again I could be wrong. I guess we will know by September 1.

The trailer for the new X-Movie was great. I'm hoping this will be as good as it appears to be.

Just saw Thor today and I thought it was very entertaining. Of course, it didn't stick to the comic Thor but I thought the casting was excellent, story was good and the action/FX was top notch.

I'd give it an A-. Some of the lines by Portman were a bit cheesy. Overall, it exceeded my expectations. I have never been a big Thor fanboy so I didn't know what to expect. All the acting was great and the 3D was even fun to watch. This was my first 3D movie since all the 3D hoopla started up. I didn't even see Avatar in 3D...(although I wish I had).

This only makes me more excited for Cap and the Avengers movie coming soon.

:banana:

From BoxofficeMojo:

Weekend Report: 'Thor' Thwacks It Within the Park

by Brandon Gray

May 9, 2011

Thor hammered out $65.7 million at 3,955 locations, handily dominating the weekend. The Marvel Comics adaptation's opening salvo wasn't as thunderous as Fast Five's $86.2 million :boo: nor recent summer starters like the Iron Man movies and X-Men Origins: Wolverine ($85.1 million), but it was bigger than Clash of the Titans (2010) ($61.2 million).

That $65.7 million meant Thor had the third highest first-weekend gross yet for the beginning of a Marvel movie franchise after Spider-Man and Iron Man. In terms of estimated attendance, though, Thor's opening weekend ranked below Hulk, X-Men and Fantastic Four but was still ahead of Daredevil and Ghost Rider. Other Marvel movies that fared better on the attendance front included The Incredible Hulk and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Thor's 3D presentations at a record 2,737 locations accounted for 60 percent of business. Distributor Paramount Pictures noted that Thor's start was well above the last 3D event, Tron: Legacy, which debuted to $44 million (though that's not quite apples-to-apples because it was a Christmas release). Also included were 214 IMAX 3D runs that contributed an estimated $6.6 million to Thor's gross. Paramount's exit polling indicated that Thor's audience skewed male (63 percent) and age 25 years and older (72 percent).

While Thor was ho-hum as far as summer kick-offs go these days, it was nonetheless solid for a lesser superhero movie, especially one that's all about contributing to a larger movie universe (The Avengers (2012)) as opposed to being a stand-alone property. Not every superhero is destined for box office greatness, and the less down-to-earth ones tend to struggle more than the earthly ones.

nor recent summer starters like the Iron Man movies and X-Men Origins: Wolverine ($85.1 million), but it was bigger than Clash of the Titans (2010) ($61.2 million).

That $65.7 million meant Thor had the third highest first-weekend gross yet for the beginning of a Marvel movie franchise after Spider-Man and Iron Man. In terms of estimated attendance, though, Thor's opening weekend ranked below Hulk, X-Men and Fantastic Four :o but was still ahead of Daredevil and Ghost Rider. Other Marvel movies that fared better on the attendance front included The Incredible Hulk and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer :roflmao: .

Thor's 3D presentations at a record 2,737 locations accounted for 60 percent of business. Distributor Paramount Pictures noted that Thor's start was well above the last 3D event, Tron: Legacy, which debuted to $44 million (though that's not quite apples-to-apples because it was a Christmas release). Also included were 214 IMAX 3D runs that contributed an estimated $6.6 million to Thor's gross. Paramount's exit polling indicated that Thor's audience skewed male (63 percent) and age 25 years and older (72 percent).

While Thor was ho-hum as far as summer kick-offs go these days, it was nonetheless solid for a lesser superhero movie, especially one that's all about contributing to a larger movie universe (The Avengers (2012)) as opposed to being a stand-alone property. Not every superhero is destined for box office greatness, and the less down-to-earth ones tend to struggle more than the earthly ones.

I think that a lot of mainstream viewers

1) don't know much about Thor and thus aren't as interested in trying

2) envision the preview as more of a period piece, or something adult themed (and boring, think Shakespeare), and thus don't take their kids to see it.

both work against attendance, but I think word of mouth will assure it decays at a slower pace than something like hulk...

On the other hand, I suspect Green Lantern will be more of a 'children' oriented feature, and attract a much greater opening, but won't hold a candle to Thor in terms of storyline and film quality.

Regardless, I am certainly amazed with what they WERE able to pull off with Thor. All things considered it was one of the few comic based films that I really enjoyed from an adult's perspective.

but I think word of mouth will assure it decays at a slower pace than something like hulk...

I am very curious to see how this plays out.

(thumbs u

I think word of mouth would get people to see the movie 2c

Much like when Batman Begins was released.

It made 44 million in its first weekend,but when word got out that it was a awesome movie,people started to see it and grossed over $200 million.

But Thor was already out 2 weeks worldwide before opening in USA. That worldwide count is at 174 Million.

Here's a list of movies that were released in the last 15 years that I've seen in the theater at least twice...

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

The Dark Knight (3 times)

Iron Man

I'm planning on watching Thor again this weekend.

After having a day to reflect on it, I believe I liked it even more than I liked Iron Man. I need to see it one more time before I decide. No doubt it was a great action movie.

For me it's really close with Iron Man. I'm going to see it again with my daughter later in the week. I think it was a killer movie. Side note...Plus Natalie Portman is so freaking hot...finally a superhero movie with a really hot love interest. Even Gwyenith Paltrow is kind of plain in my opinion.

Saw it tonight and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Solid B+/A-

Didn't like it quite as much as Iron Man, but only a tiny bit. Branaugh effectively tapped into the Lee/Kirby theme of Thor as arrogant, needing to experience humanity to learn humility and ultimately being redeemed. If Cap is this good I am stoked.

Spoiler Alert

PS I haven't read this thread for ages, but early reviews said the SHIELD bowman was not Hawkeye. It was.

Didn't like it quite as much as Iron Man, but only a tiny bit. Branaugh effectively tapped into the Lee/Kirby theme of Thor as arrogant, needing to experience humanity to learn humility and ultimately being redeemed. If Cap is this good I am stoked.

Spoiler Alert

PS I haven't read this thread for ages, but early reviews said the SHIELD bowman was not Hawkeye. It was.

I was a little upset that we didn't get a sample of him in action. :cry:

But Thor was already out 2 weeks worldwide before opening in USA. That worldwide count is at 174 Million.

i've gotta agree. just looking at domestic gross for this one isn't going to tell the whole story. int'l gross should exceed $300mm.

Spoiler Alert

I was a little upset that we didn't get a sample of him in action. :cry:

Seeing him in action would have probably been the end of the film, lol.

Spoiler Alert

There was surprisingly more of him than I had expected as well.

The cameos/mini spoilers and foreshadowings that Marvel is putting into their movies is just a whole lot of fun!