• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How will you read the guide?

34 posts in this topic

I'll hit the X-Men prices first (yeah I know insane.gif ). Then I'll hit the cover gallery in the back to see the stuff I can't afford. Then we hit the section that shows the increases on key gold and silvers. After that we turn on the car and drive home from the LCS. grin.gif

When I get my new guide,I will first scan a few prices,Avengers 4,FF48-50,Nexus1,then I'll go thru most of the market reports,then the ads.Ironic or not,just about the last thing I peruse in detail is the price section.

The section I find to be the best is the market reports.

The section I use the least is the Victorian section,though I'll have no use for the BLB section the new gude contains.

Whats your routine?

Nexus 1? The B&W issue? Why? You expecting a change?

I wouldn't think too many folks these days have ever even heard of Nexus, let alone have any interest in buying the series.

Great series and all, but unless there's some reason for it to get renewed attention I wouldn't have your hopes up for any above average increases in value.

Or are you hoping for decreases in value so you can stock up more cheaply? smile.gif

I'll start with the market reports if only to assure myself that pre-code horror is still hot (man is it EVER cold? grin.gif)

Then I'll read any articles that pique my interest. Then will scan through the advertisements looking for old friends and new layouts of old friends and then I'll peruse the web sites for places I may have missed and then will lookup the books I still need.

I'll open it to the back to verify that Mike Carbonaro is still the scariest looking OS advisor.

Good luck this year, Darth's an advisor now. foreheadslap.gif

Is he going to use Logan's picture instead of his own in the back of the guide?

When I get my new guide,I will first scan a few prices,Avengers 4,FF48-50,Nexus1,then I'll go thru most of the market reports,then the ads.Ironic or not,just about the last thing I peruse in detail is the price section.

The section I use the least is the Victorian section,though I'll have no use for the BLB section the new gude contains.

Whats your routine?

Nexus 1? The B&W issue? Why? You expecting a change?

I wouldn't thing too many folks these days have ever even heard of Nexus, let alone have any interest in buying the series.

Great series and all, but unless there's some reason for it to get renewed attention I wouldn't have your hopes up for any above average increases in value.

Or are you hoping for decreases in value so you can stock up more cheaply? smile.gif

SHHHhhhhhhhh.........I dont think the rumors have hit this board yet.

I'm a firm believer that quality will always win out in the long run.

I will read the guide left to right... top to bottom... confused-smiley-013.gif probably while I am in the throne room... hi.gif

What could be more appropriate... reading the "bible" while visiting the porcelain god.

Making a deposit at the small white bank?

i always go right to house of mystery. I am a geek, but i have been doing it every year since 1984! Every one eventually just opens on its own to HOM. Then i'll read doug sulipa's market report, then the rest of the reports, then the covers, then ads etc etc. Its been an annual tradition, and while i often disagree with just about every price, its always fun to peruse!

Whats your routine?

My routine is normally to read the OPG from cover to cover (skimming quickly through the ads). However this time around, I am NOT going to buy the printed guide, and will wait for the electronic version. I just find a higher degree of practicality sourcing values and info from my computer when doing things such as auction listings or buying/selling/trading, and honestly cannot remember the last time I used my printed guide.

I'll open it to the back to verify that Mike Carbonaro is still the scariest looking OS advisor.

Ida know bout that,...now that Darth is going to be in there..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll get the guide, like everyone else, and read the market report first. However, what will I learn? Let's see:

1)High grades continue to sell at multiples to guide.

2)ASM continues hot along with FF's. There has renewed interest in titles such as Thor and Avengers (I don't know much about DC's so you'll have to fill in yourself).

3)First issues continue to sell in any condition and the price gains are in double digits.

4)E-Bay sales continue to surge. THe auction houses are seeing strong demand.

Comiclink is the hot new site.

5)Timely's continue their streak of strong price rises and sell over guide in most conditions.

6)War covers are red hot.

Feel free to add any additions so I can decide if the guide really is worthwhile.

The Market Reports will be the usual disingenuous hype and platitudes, with one or two interesting pointers if you're prepared to read between the lines. That said, they're the first things I read after I check a few across the board prices to see what's changed in the marketplace. The dealer who (seemingly) reveals the most would be Doug Sulipa - he leaves no stone unturned.

After that, I usually check the dealer ads to see who has the most pages (usually Metropolis, although SNE is catching up), the most bizarre sales/buying pitch (Richard Muchin was last years' winner) and the most pushy, hyperbolic and shameless testimonial i.e. WE PAY MORE!!!!!! WE PAY 10X GUIDE FOR EVERYTHING!!!! (all of them).