• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VARIANTS!

62 posts in this topic

So I just saw the solicitations for the X-Men Evolutions variants.....

Marvel, please please please stop pumping out these line wide variants. Stop putting out variants for books that have absolutely nothing to do with the title. Please stop putting out 8 or 9 variants for every #1 and stop putting out variants for every book every 4 issues.

I have purchased and graded many variants I view as being pure fluff for the sake of having a complete collection. After the new Captain America #1 I'm going to have to seriously look at how I will keep buying books and how I will, or if I will continue to keep getting books graded.

I agree with the sheer number of worthless variants. DC is a culprit also (every GL and Flash book has a variant now).

This is a problem for obsessive compulsive buyers like myself. I have to tell myself repeatedly that I don't need them and they will not be worth anymore than the regular issue

The only way they'll stop making them is if people stop buying them.

I know it's tough. Believe me, I KNOW what it feels like to not have a "complete" collection, and it drives you bonkers.

But, for our own good, it won't stop until we tell them to stop.

Marvel and DC are subsidizing their print runs with variants.....it's Franklin Mint mentality.

The only way they'll stop making them is if people stop buying them.

I know it's tough. Believe me, I KNOW what it feels like to not have a "complete" collection, and it drives you bonkers.

But, for our own good, it won't stop until we tell them to stop.

+1 wholeheartedly

I agree that in the main, variants are becoming ridiculous but only when the variant solicitation levels are comparable to the normal version.

I collect Grimm Fairy Tales and Zenescope tend to have multiple variants for every issue. Where Zenescope win with their variants is the tiny solicitation levels and cover art that is usually far superior to the normal "Cover A" Most sell out providing the true collector with a challenge to complete (If they are inclined).

9 times out of 10, you can walk into any LCS and pick up every Marvel or DC variant on the first attempt. No real challenge so no real satisfaction for the dedicated collector.

I'm with everyone else. I think Marvel is releasing 5 different versions of Daredevil #1 in July. I've got every other Daredevil comic, so I feel like I HAVE to buy the variants, but I'm not happy about it.

Also, it should be noted that Marvel and DC are cannibalizing their own sales by releasing so many variants. If collectors didn't feel compelled to buy every variant for their favorite book or books, they might instead put some of that money toward another Marvel or DC book they don't currently buy.

I agree that in the main, variants are becoming ridiculous but only when the variant solicitation levels are comparable to the normal version.

I collect Grimm Fairy Tales and Zenescope tend to have multiple variants for every issue. Where Zenescope win with their variants is the tiny solicitation levels and cover art that is usually far superior to the normal "Cover A" Most sell out providing the true collector with a challenge to complete (If they are inclined).

9 times out of 10, you can walk into any LCS and pick up every Marvel or DC variant on the first attempt. No real challenge so no real satisfaction for the dedicated collector.

I really wish that was true, it would make my life a lot easier. My LCS rarely orders enough copies of books to get all the variants.

There is a choice. They're not making you buy them.

Don't make Joe Quesada have to put Rex down for a dirt nap. Buy the :censored: variants!

kill-this-dog.jpg

Yeah, I don't ever plan to have another focus with one variant in the graded title I collect too. That includes, 2nd prints, Signed Editions, DF's, $1 reprints, Special Editions, -script-Books, Boise Idaho Convention Variants, etc. L&K #1 has 7 of them. :frustrated:

Yeah this really drives me nuts too. I have close to a a full run of most of the X-titles and Uncanny X-men up to issue 520 including variants, 2nd prints, DF, etc, but I finally said enough is enough. I just got so sick of it I stopped collecting all X-Men titles except UXM and have stopped buying all the variants unless I can get them on the cheap at conventions.

So who do I have to tell?

You have to tell yourself. They are not going to stop until you stop. You are their target. They know people want the complete run and will buy them.

Also, it should be noted that Marvel and DC are cannibalizing their own sales by releasing so many variants. If collectors didn't feel compelled to buy every variant for their favorite book or books, they might instead put some of that money toward another Marvel or DC book they don't currently buy.

I do not think that is true. Most of the people who buy all the variants are buying to complete their collection and would not buy extra titles on a regular basis.