• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Favorite Adams Covers Poll: Part 9 (1971 Begins)

Ultimate Favorite Adams Covers Poll: Part 9 (1971 Begins)  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Ultimate Favorite Adams Covers Poll: Part 9 (1971 Begins)

25 posts in this topic

Round 9 is looking fine! The Boardies will vote, narrowing things down a bit in these preliminary rounds. Eventually we will have a favorite SA/BA Neal Adams vintage cover champion! :acclaim:

This round showcases the first 33 Adams covers from 1971 in chronological order, plus 1 book from January of 1970 that was unintentionally skipped.

:whee:

More classics here as Adams is obviously in his prime. Which will rise to the top? Vote count extended to 8.

Pick what you love, not what you think is popular.

Don't be shy with your comments. Let's hear why you made your choices. Influencing others with commentary is encouraged. :gossip:

The polls are still open in these previous preliminary rounds. Please visit them and vote if you have not:

Round 8 (1970 Concluded)

Round 7 (1970 Continued)

Round 6 (1970 Begins)

Round 5 (1969 Concluded)

Round 4 (1969 1st Half)

Round 3 (1968 Concluded)

Round 2 (1968 Continued)

Round 1 (1967-1968)

Choose your 8 favorites this round.

DC Special #6

dcspecial06.jpg

DC 100-Page Super Spectacular #6 (wrap-around cover)

dc10006.jpg

Detective Comics #407

dt407.JPG

Phantom Stranger, The #11

PhantomStranger11.jpg

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #135

JO135.JPG

Hot Wheels #6

HOTWHL06.JPG

Strange Adventures #228

sa228.jpg

Superman #233

233.JPG

Batman #229

BATS229.JPG

Flash, The #203

FLASH203.JPG

Green Lantern #82

GL082.JPG

House of Mystery #190

HOM190.JPG

House of Secrets #90

hos090.jpg

Witching Hour #13

WH13.JPG

World's Finest Comics #200

WF200.JPG

All-Star Western #4

ASW04.JPG

Detective Comics #408

dt408.JPG

Justice League of America #87

JLA087.JPG

Superman #234

234.JPG

Batman #230

BATS230.JPG

Detective Comics #409

dt409.JPG

Flash, The #204

FLASH204.JPG

House of Mystery #191

HOM191.JPG

Phantom Stranger, The #12

PhantomStranger12.jpg

Action Comics #398

AC398.JPG

DC Special #11

dcsPecial11.jpg

Justice League of America #88

JLA088.JPG

Superboy #172

SBOY172.JPG

Superman #235

235.JPG

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #136

JO136.JPG

World's Finest Comics #201

WF201.JPG

Brave and the Bold, The #95

bb95.JPG

Green Lantern #83

GL083.JPG

House of Secrets #91

hos091.jpg

ugh, that WH 13 is going to get a pantload of votes, but i can't get over how utterly stupid the concept is of a guy being that terrified of a little purple spider with a skull for a head.

the spider's hanging by the middle of its abdomen, for pete's sake.

stupid.

ugh, that WH 13 is going to get a pantload of votes, but i can't get over how utterly stupid the concept is of a guy being that terrified of a little purple spider with a skull for a head.

stupid.

You wouldn't scream like a little girl if faced with the demonic skull-spider? I think you would. :baiting:

The obvious favorite is Superman 233. Most of the board memebrs seemed to have the same mindset as I did, that the latter half of this selection was weaker then the first half. I did not vote one cover from the last half. The later part was weak, compared to most of the 1970's selections. DC SS 6 is overated. If the OA were availale for all of these covers, the only piece I would want to own would be the Superman 233 cover.

The obvious favorite is Superman 233. Most of the board memebrs seemed to have the same mindset as I did, that the latter half of this selection was weaker then the first half. I did not vote one cover from the last half. The later part was weak, compared to most of the 1970's selections. DC SS 6 is overated. If the OA were availale for all of these covers, the only piece I would want to own would be the Superman 233 cover.

Personally, I have a strong preference for DC SS 6 over Supes 233. Not sure why you think its overated? (shrug)

Personally, I have a strong preference for DC SS 6 over Supes 233. Not sure why you think its overated? (shrug)

I read a story somewhere that DC boss Carmine Infantino loved the cover, and was showing it off as an example of what a cover should be. Jack Kirby, newly arrived at DC, took a look at it and pointed out essentially it is a bunch of costumed folks standing there with their hands on their hips, staring into the spotlight. To Kirby's way of thinking, a good comic book cover should show some action... or at least some, uh, movement! lol

I'm not suggesting it is not a good cover. Just that it is over-rated, imho. On the positive, the poses of the characters certainly convey strength and conviction. The composition, for what it is, could not be much better. So as far as a group superhero piece, its one of the better pieces that come to mind. To be fair to Neal, I think a group shot like this is, by its nature, a tough job to pull off well.

I'm not a fan of the compostion of these type of pieces to begin with, as often they come off as forced in the number of characters involved. Most everyones physique is almost exactly the same, there is no artisitc individuality to the characters. There is not much spotting of blacks, which for me, is what seperates a piece from being a coloring book as opposed to an artistic interpertation of the scene.

All in all, keeping in mind this was done under a deadline, and that I seen have a lot worse group shots then this, and just because its Adams, and he really can't do a BAD piece of art, I think its a good job. I just don't put it on the same pedestal as many other fans do.

Joe we both know why you don't like DC SS 6 that much, Black Canary ! (crackhead look lol)...

I'm not suggesting it is not a good cover. Just that it is over-rated, imho. On the positive, the poses of the characters certainly convey strength and conviction. The composition, for what it is, could not be much better. So as far as a group superhero piece, its one of the better pieces that come to mind. To be fair to Neal, I think a group shot like this is, by its nature, a tough job to pull off well.

I'm not a fan of the compostion of these type of pieces to begin with, as often they come off as forced in the number of characters involved. Most everyones physique is almost exactly the same, there is no artisitc individuality to the characters. There is not much spotting of blacks, which for me, is what seperates a piece from being a coloring book as opposed to an artistic interpertation of the scene.

All in all, keeping in mind this was done under a deadline, and that I seen have a lot worse group shots then this, and just because its Adams, and he really can't do a BAD piece of art, I think its a good job. I just don't put it on the same pedestal as many other fans do.

Fair enough, I suppose. I also like the cover to Flash 203 a lot. Left side of the cover seems to be a tip of the hat to Kubert, while the right leans towards Ditko, natch ;)

stupid.

You wouldn't scream like a little girl if faced with the demonic skull-spider? I think you would. :baiting:

he would if it was a cat (hint hint).

Joe we both know why you don't like DC SS 6 that much, Black Canary ! (crackhead look lol)...

Eric, You know me too well ...

stupid.

he would if it was a cat (hint hint).

BTW, that Detecive 395 recreation cover is nicer then the original !

Note to all Adams fans, of whom I am one: Please do not put me on public trial for heresy, I'm sensitive.