• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking at a book...

10 posts in this topic

A respectible national dealer grades a mid grade book with light tan pages. I have purchased several books form him and his grading per CGC is right on.

This book has now appeard CGC graded and 2.5 grades higher with OW/W pages. Maybe he got lucky or pressed the booked w/o disclosure.

But what about the page color? Is it possible to restore page quality from light tan to ow/w without CGC catching it?

I think everyone has learned about how to grade a comic book as early as buying that first back issue or reading the OSPG, much like myself. While I don't claim to be an expert in grading, I do okay. However when it comes to determining page color....where do you actually begin? I mean, I have white paper in my printer and there is not a silver or golden age book that I know of with "white pages" like that. I would also venture to say that all paper used to print comic books in the early years was never truely white and never consistantly the same color tone to begin with. Comic book inner paper was usually low grade news paper type stock and even on day one, fresh off the press it would be hard to consider it "white", so where to begin?

I would also venture to say that all paper used to print comic books in the early years was never truely white and never consistantly the same color tone to begin with. Comic book inner paper was usually low grade news paper type stock and even on day one, fresh off the press it would be hard to consider it "white", so where to begin?

Bingo. You really have to know the stock used and where the color started with to begin with. Even between issues of the same era with the same publisher there are differences.

I would also venture to say that all paper used to print comic books in the early years was never truely white and never consistantly the same color tone to begin with. Comic book inner paper was usually low grade news paper type stock and even on day one, fresh off the press it would be hard to consider it "white", so where to begin?

Bingo. You really have to know the stock used and where the color started with to begin with. Even between issues of the same era with the same publisher there are differences.

I know PQ is the "in thing" but in reality the degradation of paper quality,unless tan to brittle should'nt be a factor in your buying decision.I have seen CGC grade a Cream to Off White book that looked clearly White and vise a versa. CGC does'nt even get it right 50% of the time,so I have a rule of thumb that I feel any book that's cr/ow,ow/w,white are in the same league price wise and would be hard pressed to pay a premium for the white page designation.Hell like it was stated from Junkdrawer,paper quality was different from day to day/hour to hour at the printers.These books were never meant to be around for any length of time,so they used the cheapest pulp type paper they could get. 2c

That's okay, argue away with your claims that CGC's PQ designation is meaningless, it won't convince me. I've submitted 100's of my own books that weren't Modern. I would always grade them myself and put a PQ before submitting. CGC was very accurate. If anything they were even tighter on the PQ.

I remember only one incident where I thought the pages were borderline White and they came back CR/OW but the book turned out PLOD anyway so it didn't really matter.