• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major find!

24 posts in this topic

Happens all the time, you'd be surprised. I myself just brokered a bunch of old comics for my sister-in-law, found in the insulation of an old garage. Range Romances #2, Life Story #10, Western Life Romances #1, Western Hearts #1, etc. Nothing like this new find, but cool nonetheless. Lots of GA comics were printed in the western NY area and were fairly plentiful. Instead of tossing them after reading, many got used as cheap insulation.

Anyone know what the condition of these books is like? Mine were Fair to Fine.

There have been several interesting finds like this over the years. There was a Golden Age collection found once that was stored in vintage cereal boxes.

Tom

There was a similar find of vintage comics that got written up in Comic Book Marketplace and eventually marketed on eBay as the "Hole-in-the-Wall-Collection." grin.gif

Tommy Jasmin is brokering it? Good for him. He used to run some pretty cool auctions back in the pre-eBay days, with strict grading and no reserves, although they were cumbersome as hell on the old news-group lists. He always had a solid nose for original owner collections.

thumbsup2.gif for Tommy!

I answered an ad in Craig's List one night about a Famous Funnies #37 found in the wall of a kitchen when they were remodelling.

I picked it up for $40 -- more than it was worth, but some shop in town told her they'd give her that much in trade for it. They gave her a crappy bag for it when she didn't take the offer.

So, I came to pick it up, and the colors were beautiful -- just amazing. But the paper was about as brittle as you can get without it just falling apart in your hands.

The first thing I do when I pull it out of the bag is get it snagged on the 6-1/2"-long piece of tape those buzz-tards at the shop put on the bag. frustrated.gif

Still a cool book to look at, though.

Good its coming to Heritage because I was looking at the June auction and thought it was a little thin.

Their June 2004 auction was a little thin?

Yes, it was. And if the trend continues, both the 2010 and 2013 June auctions will be thin too.

Good its coming to Heritage because I was looking at the June auction and thought it was a little thin.

Their June 2004 auction was a little thin?

Yes, it was. And if the trend continues, both the 2010 and 2013 June auctions will be thin too.

27_laughing.gif

Man that would stink.

Is there anything we can do to avert such a tragedy?

Nope, just gotta roll with it I guess.