• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone familiar with La Luz De Jesus Gallery

2 posts in this topic

Saw an ad of theirs in a magazine this month of them putting on a show featuring "Pop Sequentialism" from "Watchmen to The Walking Dead, Great Comic Book Art of the Modern Age" Just my type of show.

The pages for the show aren't necessarily "show stoppers" but one piece caught my eye. When this page went on eBay I didn't think anyone would want it. And since I have the DPS that follows I "maintained an interest in the auction" Obviously someone sniped it, and I waited for it to show up on CAF. So I was shocked to stumble upon it here. And even more shocked of the "gallery" price tag.

Is anyone (non comic fan) going to the gallery going to have to have any of these pieces because they "speak to them"? I could certainly see that with some covers that transcend just the comics/sequential art from.

And, is any comic OA fan familiar with buying OA going to pay "gallery" pricing? That L.A. overhead must be a killer.

Heck of a write-up on that HB piece though, I must admit.

Some artists I really like have had various shows there over the years.

They have done shows based around commercial artists and illustrators, so comics is not surprising. Especially given the influence of comics on many of their exhibiting artists.

My wife and I tried to go there (like had it on our list of things to do) 4 or 5 years ago when we were out in LA, but they were unexpectedly closed the day we tried to get there. Had a note on the door and all. Was pretty bummed at the time.

Prices are something else entirely, though some aren't as bad as others.

The thing that made me chuckle the most was how they repeatedly chose to accentuate what many comic collector fans would consider a negative and spin it as a positive for gallery audiences. Check out the Punisher cover for an example.

Not surprising that the work is not the cream of the crop, but still not bad examples of the type of work they chose. I've seen other galleries do much worse. :)

-e.