• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Truth justice & the American way No more, as Superman renounces U.S. Citizenship

337 posts in this topic

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/04/27/superman-renounces-us-citizenship/

After recently undertaking a journey to walk -- not fly -- across the United States in the "Grounded" storyline and reconnect with the country and everyday Americans, Superman appears to be taking another step that could have major implications for his national identity: in Action Comics #900...

...Superman announces that he is going to give up his U.S. citizenship. Despite very literally being an alien immigrant, Superman has long been seen as a patriotic symbol of "truth, justice, and the American way," from his embrace of traditional American ideals to the iconic red and blue of his costume. What it means to stand for the "American way" is an increasingly complicated thing, however, both in the real world and in superhero comics, whose storylines have increasingly seemed to mirror current events and deal with moral and political complexities rather than simple black and white morality.

The key scene takes place in "The Incident," a short story in Action Comics #900 written by David S. Goyer with art by Miguel Sepulveda. In it, Superman consults with the President's national security advisor, who is incensed that Superman appeared in Tehran to non-violently support the protesters demonstrating against the Iranian regime, no doubt an analogue for the recent real-life protests in the Middle East. However, since Superman is viewed as an American icon in the DC Universe as well as our own, the Iranian government has construed his actions as the will of the American President, and indeed, an act of war.

What is the "American way"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_way

Note that Superman is mentioned!

I need the condensed version - I'm too busy living the English Dream.

The American Way of life is individualistic, dynamic, pragmatic. It affirms the supreme value and dignity of the individual; it stresses incessant activity on his part, for he is never to rest but is always to be striving to "get ahead"; it defines an ethic of self-reliance, merit, and character, and judges by achievement: "deeds, not creeds" are what count. The "American Way of Life" is humanitarian, "forward-looking", optimistic. Americans are easily the most generous and philanthropic people in the world, in terms of their ready and unstinting response to suffering anywhere on the globe. The American believes in progress, in self-improvement, and quite fanatically in education. But above all, the American is idealistic. Americans cannot go on making money or achieving worldly success simply on its own merits; such "materialistic" things must, in the American mind, be justified in "higher" terms, in terms of "service" or "stewardship" or "general welfare"... And because they are so idealistic, Americans tend to be moralistic; they are inclined to see all issues as plain and simple, black and white, issues of morality.

More power to him. I'm not sure I want to be an American right now either.

The title Texan, or more properly Texian carries more weight.

What a bunch of rubbish.

When will these "writers" learn that there's nothing less entertaining than "relevance", and that "mirror(ing) current events and deal(ing) with moral and political complexities rather than simple black and white morality" reveals nothing so much as a complete lack of imagination.

Sigh...

Is Tennessee still part of the US?

I was watching the History Channel last night and discovered that part of East Tennessee actually tried to break off and become the 14th state ahead of Vermont. The state of Franklin lasted four years before it John Sevier wrangled it back as Congress would not recognize it as a state. .

What a bunch of rubbish: when will these "writers" learn that there's nothing less entertaining than "relevance", and that "mirror(ing) current events and deal(ing) with moral and political complexities rather than simple black and white morality" reveals nothing so much as a complete lack of imagination.

Sigh...

Relevant comics are only relevant to the editors, writers, & 40 year old readers.

John Stewart & Superman comics are relevant news sources & social commentators.

What a bunch of rubbish: when will these "writers" learn that there's nothing less entertaining than "relevance", and that "mirror(ing) current events and deal(ing) with moral and political complexities rather than simple black and white morality" reveals nothing so much as a complete lack of imagination.

Sigh...

Relevant comics are only relevant to the editors, writers, & 40 year old readers.

The Daily Show with Green Lantern. :cloud9:

Sigh...

Pieface.

I was watching the History Channel last night and discovered that part of East Tennessee actually tried to break off and become the 14th state ahead of Vermont. The state of Franklin lasted four years before it John Sevier wrangled it back as Congress would not recognize it as a state. .

You live right around Sevierville, don't you?

West Florida was a sovereign nation in 1810, but only for three months. :(

Sigh...

Hollywood ideological BS creeps into comics. Big surprise. :eyeroll:

The writer, David Goyer , is probably tossing out feelers in advance for his upcoming Superman movie. Seems like the disgusting next step since they already threw out ""the American Way" in Superman Returns. Replaced it with "...all of that stuff".

It's sickening. Save us the drama, just put Superman in a powder blue helmet already, and send him on a bended-knee apology tour. Get it over with.

Sigh...

Kermit the Frog is a Pulitzer worthy news reporter :)

West Florida was a sovereign nation in 1810, but only for three months. :(

:) but then :(