• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's hoping the folks here from the tornado affected states are doing o.k.

13 posts in this topic

I have heard Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia have all declared states of emergency.

My sincere thoughts and prayers are with you all.

:(:wishluck:

Same thoughts here.

I posted a little info in Nik's charity thread, but looks like here is appropriate as well.

I do live in Tuscaloosa, but thankfully my wife and I are OK. I am so grateful that there was a lot of warning lead time, so I cancelled my patients for the afternoon and she headed home early. Unfortunately, the storm itself produced an F5 tornado, which is as bad as it gets. At approximately 4:30 - 5:00 CST it went almost completely dark. Everyone was advised to take shelter immediately (which we did...never again will I make fun of her for being a worry-wart). As we sat in the bathroom...they were literally announcing where it hit on a street by street basis. Our home was outside of the path of destruction (which reportedly is a mile wide in places), but it pretty much leveled Tuscaloosa proper.

Communications have been spotty at best (internet here at work seems OK though). But it appears that a significant number of our friends have lost their homes (include both of my graduate student employees). More distressingly, one of the students believed her husband was at home and he still cannot be located. Absolutely broke my heart to talk to her on the phone this morning. Anyway, please keep the people of Tuscaloosa in your hearts and thoughts the next few days...what I have seen so far has been horrific, and I suspect that the number of confirmed fatalities will increase dramatically.

Heath