• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT -- five favorite places to eat in your home town (or nearest large city)

86 posts in this topic

the North End

I miss the the North End. Funny thing, though., Here in SF, the Italian section is called North Beach. Go figure!

(when I used to come to SF in the late 70's early 80's North Beach was a lot dearer to my Italian heart. But still some good places to be found if you try.)

AHHHHH Food,

1) Capital Grill at Chestnut Hill for fine dining.

2) 111 Chop House in Worcester, very similar to Mortons but a much better atmosphere and great wine selections.

3) Chef Orient, if you like Japanese, Chinese, sushi, this place in Framingham cant be beat.

4) Anthonys Pier 4 or Jimmys Harbor Side at the pier for fine seafood, or Union Oyster House in Fanuel Market.

5) Any mom and pop small (5-8 table restaurant) in the North End you cant go wrong.

Last but not least if you love Prime Rib, this is a little out of the way, just outside Wolfboro New Hampshire, a place called The Foxy Johnny, 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 melts in your mouth Prime Rib.

3 Texas Land & Cattle Steakhouse

Really? Must be better there in Texas... It didn't even last a year here in Phoenix..

1) Three Margaritas - fresh tortillas and some incredible chorizo

2) Native New Yorker - by far the best wings in the valley

3) Santisi Brothers - excellent fettuccine alfredo and the perfect spot for watching the game

4) Outback - I'm a sucker for the bloomin onion

5) Mike & Rhonda's The Place - you just can't beat their breakfast and their prices

Yeah, being a hockey fan first and a Sharks fan second, I saw how Sinden dismantled the team and was sickened with the way he basically denied Bourque the opportunity to win a Cup in Boston near the end of his career. I can tell you that I actually cried like a little girl (no offense to little girls) when Ray finally won the Cup in Colorado, but it was bittersweet to see him hoist it while wearing a jersey from the hated Avs.

It looks now like they've got a good squad though. They were absolutely dominant last night, and Joe Thornton barely played in the third period because of his injury. They could do some damage this year. Their power play with Gonchar is solid, and they were tossing the Habs around like they were a Triple A squad.

One thing that drove me nuts though about the Fleet Center. I don't know if it's because all of the old school hockey fans stopped going to games, but the lack of etiquette by the fans in attendance last night was unreal. The kooks there last night would stand up (and block the view of the people behind them) every time the Bruins were on an offensive rush, whether they had a good scoring opportunity or not. Every few minutes there would be another jerk who would stand up during play while talking on his cell phone and waving to a friend across the arena. And then there were the literally dozens of people who would get up in the middle of a play to go to the snack bar or hit the bathroom. I've never seen anything like it in any other arena in the league, except in Los Angeles during the early Gretzky era.

But it was a great game though! It made me feel a little less bad about having to sell my tickets to tonight's Sharks game.

I'm staying at the Hotel Nine Zero. We wound up going to Terramia in the North End. Good stuff, but I realized along the way that BC was playing in the semis tonight in the Frozen Four. Terramia was great, but with the entertainment factor thrown in, I'd have rather had a hot dog or two at the Fleet Center tonight.

By the way -- went to the Bruins' game against the Habs last night. What a game! I can't believe that the game didn't sell out though. There were tons of tickets available on Ticketmaster yesterday morning. 893whatthe.gif

It's not really a surprise. There are a lot of EX-Bruins fans in town. I'm one of them. Their penny-pinching ways drained the life out of fandom around here in a big way. People basically felt betrayed. I used to go to games all the time at the Garden. I haven't even stepped foot inside the Fleet Center for a hockey game. There used to be a lot of passionate fans around here and now it's just gone...

holy cow, i live in new orleans, its hard to find bad food!

i guess the best has to be brennans, they can do things to food that seem so simple yet taste so extravagant. A spinach salad can be an otherworldy experience! And for dessert, bananas foster was invented here! YUM!!!!

After that it depends on atmosphere & price. The Gumbo Shop is a nice mid range place with incredible gumbo & crawfish dishes

Port of call is a nice simple place with a nautical theme & the best burgers i have ever had. Great cup of mushrooms in wine sauce as well!

Juan's flying burrito will make a delicious burrito the size of Hulk's fist & it will only cost $5 or so. Their vegetarian with potato's could not come more highly recommended

Nirvana is great for Indian, Rock'n Saki for Sushi, its too hard to tell!!!!

i want to go eat now....

holy cow, i live in new orleans, its hard to find bad food!

Oh man - food and music! Have yet to go to New Orleans but it is a thing I really want to do! Hate hot weather so would like to go during the coolest weather but also the least tourist crowd weather - is such a thang possible?

Man! New Orleans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Lulu's in brooklyn (French place) Great coffee and black peppered steak thumbsup2.gif

2 Peter Lugers Great steaks

3 Papaya King 3 hot dogs and drink $2

4 O'Neils Great burgers

5 Nelson's Chicken in Little Neck

thumbsup2.gif

Although I must point out that my favorite steakhouse in New York is Sparks. The food/ service/ etc. are all top notch and the wine list is the best I've ever seen in terms of both quality and pricing. Some places may have more bottles, but no one at that level that I've seen can compare in terms of value. 1.25 to 1.5 retail is not uncommon there even for in-demand wines. cloud9.gif

hey pov, January or february is a great time as is march, just avoid mardi gras if you don't want the crowds. The winter gets to the high 30's or 40's at night and 50's to 60 in the day. March is already hitting up to 80 in the day, but its more in the 70's. You should come by & hang out ! Its the most fun city i have ever been in & the most beautiful, no one should miss it! I did like SF, But it seemed a bit gloomy, a nice romantic gloom, but not enough sun. Maybe i was there at a bad time? It was early October. I do want to spend more time there & i may again this year.

This was about March 7th at my apartment. No shivering for shiverbones!

448447-DSCF0105.jpg

448447-DSCF0105.jpg.ef911ed963c6add672e66f8547edeafe.jpg

The winter gets to the high 30's or 40's at night and 50's to 60 in the day.

Heaven - and things like a really good Jambalaya or Gumbo kind of go down nicely with those temperatures (yeah - I know there is a lot more to the food than that but man - Jambalaya and Gumbo - especially with a good cornbread and butter? On a briosk day???? With some good jazz thrown in?????? mmmmm mmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm!

PS - I know I sound like a tourist! grin.gif

Heaven - and things like a really good Jambalaya or Gumbo kind of go down nicely with those temperatures (yeah - I know there is a lot more to the food than that but man - Jambalaya and Gumbo - especially with a good cornbread and butter? On a briosk day???? With some good jazz thrown in?????? mmmmm mmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Not a tourist, a lover of life! now i want gumbo!

Not a tourist, a lover of life! now i want gumbo!

Gumbo - when done well - oh gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're in Boston, Rob? My last night is tonight. Any must-visit restaurant recommendations where I could get a table on short notice?

If you have use of a car I would check out Hilltop Steak House in Saugus. I would not think of going to the one in Braintree. You want the original one on route 1.

Every one has mentioned the North End But if you want Chinese, there is China town on the orange line. CHRIS

http://www.hilltopsteakhouse.com/index.html

In Miami:

Joe's Stone Crabs - It's reputation is well earned.

Flanagan's - Biscayne Blvd and 135th Street (there are others but this is the best) - Most everything on the menu is great but the seafood jumbo is special.

Houston's - Biscayne Blvd in Aventura - Absolutely great Prime Rib

Steve's Pizza - Biscayne and 103rd St - Best pizza I found in area....

Pollo Supremo - NW 25th ST and 87 AV - Hole in the wall (former Taco Bell maybe?) that has the best baked chicken and black beans and rice I've ever experienced. And that's saying something in Miami....

Jim

(1)Ruth's Chris (Irvine, CA) Best steak that you will ever eat! The Creme Brulee makes you feel like you are committing a sin!

(2)Koji's (Orange, CA) Great sushi with the Rainbow and Crunchy Shrimp roll that rocks the house!

(3)Kim Tar (Cerritos, CA) Extremely good chinese food for pennies! Great seafood chow fun, Won Ton Soup, and Beef Steak!

(4)Macho Cafe (San Gabriel, CA) Best fish tacos on the planet! Customer service is second to none!

(5)John's Philly Grille (Anaheim, CA) Awesome Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches and fries with that awesome seasoning!

and what didn't make it on to the list was IN-N-OUT Burgers. Anybody that visits California should know that they are the best by now insane.gif

My choices of best restaurant in Paris:

1) Les ambassadeurs (Hotel du Crillon, place de la Concorde)

2) Khun Akorn - Thaï restaurant (Nation)

3) Blue Elephant - Thaï restaurant (Bastille)

4) Le palanquin - Vietnamese restaurant (Quartier des ternes)

thumbsup2.gif

Although I must point out that my favorite steakhouse in New York is Sparks. The food/ service/ etc. are all top notch and the wine list is the best I've ever seen in terms of both quality and pricing. Some places may have more bottles, but no one at that level that I've seen can compare in terms of value. 1.25 to 1.5 retail is not uncommon there even for in-demand wines. cloud9.gif

Hey, and don't forget the history there as well. In front of Sparks is where Big Paul got whacked by Sammy the Bull and Johnny Boy (do I sound like enough of a wiseguy for ya? grin.gif) thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Hey, and don't forget the history there as well. In front of Sparks is where Big Paul got whacked by Sammy the Bull and Johnny Boy (do I sound like enough of a wiseguy for ya? grin.gif) thumbsup2.gif

No doubt about it. Being Paul Castellano's favorite restaurant has to count for something.