• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT -- five favorite places to eat in your home town (or nearest large city)

86 posts in this topic

Couldn't agree with you more. Jacobs has killed the team although with their recent acquisitions at the end of the season, I hope that the spark has returned.

My list for Boston:

1) Grill 23. Head and shoulders above the rest in the city. If you can, ask for the chef's table.

2) Rialto. A perfect meal in Harvard Square

3) Mrs. Bartlett's Burgers: When you want to double your cholesterol in one sitting. A Harvard Square Institution. Make sure you order a frappe.

4) Anna's Taqueria. Best burrito in the city, hands down.

5) Giacomo's in the North End. If you don't mind the line, it's worth the wait.

a few places that i like....

1. O'Hara's bar/grille in Newton for a pint and some good pub food.

2. Mediterannio's at Federal Hill in Providence RI

3. Dinero's in Cohasset, MA

4. Hingham Bay Club Hingham MA

5. Pleasant Cafe for pizza in Roslindale, MA

Hey Bean-towners:

Is the Sol Azteca still open? On lower Beacon, just down the street from Fenway, barely into Brookline.

The only style I found generally lacking in Boston cuisine was Mexican. This place was South American/Mayan, but close enough! cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well, there are no large cities in Maine so we'll keep this kind of general for anyone coming up this way...

1) Lobster - Any resteraunt, we don't screw it up in Maine so no worries. Buy one, eat it, use lots of butter.

2) Bar Harbor - Go there, find a place with seating outside near the sidewalk and prepare for a buzzed afternoon watching all the pretty tourists walk by. Food quality isn't important when your buzzed.

3) The Chocolate Grill - Orono, ME. (Go Black Bears!) Good everything.

4) Pepino's - They have this puree' jalapeno dip that'll clean out your sinus', digestive tract, colon and then your plumbing at home too.

5) This isn't local but they have great franks (hotdogs). That's right baby, good ole Fenway Park.

CRC

If you're in Miami. do you know Metarog (Roger Perez) in person ???

My Mom lives in North Miami (Aventura) as well.

Funny you should ask.....

When I sold off most of my moderns on eBay before coming to Germany, Metarog won one of them (What If? run if I remember correctly). He asked if we could meet to deliver them vs. USPS. Found out he worked just down the street from me and a couple of buildings from where my wife worked. Met him for about all of 2 minutes. Seemed like a good guy.

Later after we started posting here, we connected the dots....

Where in Aventura does your mother live? My sister still lives there....

Jim

I'm over in Burlington County,& your right the weather sometimes sucks!!!! But then again that's how I make my money, when the weather gets bad ,I make money with my job!!! Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad!!!! wink.gif

In Philly (yo, listen up for Wizardworld!):

- Towne Pizza: On 19th and Pine, my favorite cheesesteak of them all.

- Ciboulette: In Center City (walking distance from convention center), outstanding provincial French, but you need a reservation

- Suzanna Foo: Also a short walk from the con, this is Asian/French fusion at its best; also need a reservation

- Belgian Chocolate House: For dessert

- Downhome Diner: In the Reading Terminal Market a block from the con; go there for lunch and pig out on the homestyle cookin'

- Dmitri's: in Old City, for the fish, prepared Greek-style

- Jamaican Jerk Hut: Affordable and 3 blocks from the con; If you love spicy.

I won't bother with the restaurants in NYC, you can get a Zagat's and get the low down better than I would know. But, out on LI where I live,

Mother Kelly's in Cedarhurst has terrific Italian food (portions like there's an Army-trained chef in the back).

And the kids like Outback and Chili's about equally well. thumbsup2.gif