• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT -- five favorite places to eat in your home town (or nearest large city)

86 posts in this topic

The Loews is a great hotel, and you have a pretty nice resturaunt right in your hotel. You're basically at 12th and market or so. follow the same directions. walk one street down market onto chestnut street and then about 5 blocks down towards 6th st.

The Loews is slightly better than the Marriot in terms of quality, and you have the Reading terminal market right there as well. Plus, you have a great view of City Hall etc., etc.

Cool. It came recommended by, of all people, my ex-girlfriend's mother. It looked nice, they have broadband access in the rooms and they have a dedicated lap pool so I was sold on it pretty quickly.

Nice choices, Rob, for Boston. Doyles is an all-time favorite--been going there for almost 20 years (except when I lived in DC). As Boston becomes more and more like NYC, it's one of the few places left that really reminds you of old Boston. Great place, great beer, great scotch, and really under-rated food. A real part of Boston political history, too. There's so many forum members in the Boston area, we should try to put together a lunch there one afternoon.

I noticed lots of obligatory kudos for the North End, but one of the best Italian places in New England is in Salem, NH-- The Colisseum. Huge menu, great variety, wide price range, can order off the menu, real friendly.

dc

pasta mia--only line i'll wait on

dc coast--try the chinese style lobster

sam & harrys--non-chain steakhouse

clydes--quick casual burger

pizzeria paridiso (in dupont, not gtown)--great pizza especially for dc

bens chili bowl--go for dogs not the neighborhood

nyc

melons--top 2 burger place

lugers--already discussed (but in bklyn)

pjs--top 2 burger place

blue water grill--casual seafood

nobu--see lugers

cello--been there once, will probably not get the oppurtunity in the near future

i could go on for either city, but i'll stop at 6

Well not sure as to where yet,, but eat drink be merry..what else!

Seriously, we like good food from local dive joints, best ethnic spots, to classic chef driven places. Price is a concern, but we usually try and go to at least 1 really nice place, and eat lunch at several others nice places(since lunch is cheaper), and then most other times, we want to find a good/decent fresh place that is busy and fun, that locals know about. No chains tho.,we can do that here.

We love seafood,, and eclectic menus, focusinbg on fresh

Not afraid to try something different.

Any advice on best place to go/stay/sights/eats.., on a fairly modest budget would be of great help.

Thanks

Zeman

Let's see...if your going to be in southern ME then take the extra 2 minutes to drive into New Hampshire (just over the state line) to Portsmouth. Ask for directions downtown. Portsmouth has everything, it's like a little Boston. For food try Pier 2 or the Dolphin Striker ( www.dolhpinstriker.com, there's a printable map of town too) If the prices turn you off try any of the little spots on Bow Street. Hit the Rusty Hammer or Brewery for some drinks, all within easy walking distance. Stay at the Sheraton in downtown Portsmouth, or at one of the bed and breakfasts on historical Strawberry Banke. Go deep sea fishing, whale watching, catch a play or band at Prescott Park...All within walking distance of everything.

Northeastern ME, Bar Harbor (Bah Hahbah) Expensive. Main drag is a small "L" shaped road. I don't know of a bad, or inexpensive, resteraunt over there. Seafood galore. There's a small smoke shop along the drag between two resteraunts, they have a menu served up by one of the resteraunts, great drafts on tap, big windows for people watching and it's never busy. It's like a small oasis in all the hussle and bustle during tourist season out there. (Not smokey either) Mount Desert Island is close by vehicle, go see Sand Beach and Thunder Hole (really cool), then walk along the Carriage Paths or hike Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park.

North ME, bring a tent. Stay at Lily Bay Campground on Moosehead Lake. See Moose, lot's of them. By car from there go to Elephant Mountain and see the B-52, what's left of it, that crashed into it in 1963. Fly fish the West Branch of the Penobscot River, hike part of the Appalachian Trail, climb Mt. Katahdin, kayak, canoe, go rafting on the Nob, Dead or Kenebec Rivers. Stand on Abol bridge where Henry David Thoreau did while he freaked from all the wild nature around him. S??T in the woods like a bear.

CRC