• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Case of Distributor's Ink Ever?

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I just picked up this copy of Doctor Strange #170 today at the Boston Comic Con. Is the green ink all over the front cover the distributor's ink that you normally see at the top edge of a comic? If so, I have never seen it cover so much of the front cover before! What happened? If it weren't for the green ink on the cover, I would say that this book is at the low end a 7.5 and at the high end a 9.0 (I'm still calibrating my grading skills).

First, is the green ink distributor's ink?

Second, how badly do you think it affects the grade? Is this a "production flaw" that CGC ignores? I can't imagine that this much ink on the cover would be ignored.

It only cost me $7.50, so I'm pretty happy with the purchase no matter what!

Thanks in advance.

ds1.jpg

ds2.jpg

ds3.jpg

ds4.jpg

Yes.

Second, how badly do you think it affects the grade? Is this a "production flaw" that CGC ignores? I can't imagine that this much ink on the cover would be ignored.

If the ink was light and there was just a small bleed going no further than a millimetre from any edge, then the grade would only be marginally affected, if anything. With such heavy staining the grade would be very low despite the book's otherwise decent appearance.

Yes.

If the ink was light and there was just a small bleed going no further than a millimetre from any edge, then the grade would only be marginally affected, if anything. With such heavy staining the grade would be very low despite the book's otherwise decent appearance.

Yep. It's about a $4 comic with the ink. Not that the price really matters though, enjoy the book!

Is this a "production flaw" that CGC ignores?

Distributor overspray can't be considered a production defect as it didn't happen during the production process.

By the way Gav,been wanting to say this for awhile.Your sig. line is rockin' the house with true awesomeness. :headbang:

Cheers Dave, yours is pretty damn good too. (thumbs u

I was wondering the same yesterday as I pulled out an ASM #129 to be put up for sale. Looks like 7.0 or so if you ignore the spray. Overstreet does not consider it a defect, but I guess it depends upon the amount. I would consider yours a 'defect' due to the quantity and placement of it, and I can understand Oversteet's stance assuming it is limited to those who have it along the edges.

I'll post mine later this week if it doesn't sell at the con today.

Have a good one gang!

I had no idea what the blue stains were. Now I do!

The first time I saw one in a comic shop I thought it was a pen mishap.

There's been an Action Comics 252 that's been on E-Bay for the third time with a deep blue stain through the top of it. The copy looks great with the exception of the staining. With only 2 hours left I'm still debating on picking it up or just waiting for another copy to surface. Pull, don't pull, I'm not feeling too trigger happy today. :/