• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman II

8 posts in this topic

One of my all time favorite Superhero movies...arguably the best of the run. I saw the movie when it first came out in the theatres and have seen it many times since.

I do remember one part of the movie that I havent seen since the movie was released. The three villians were in the little hick town and they were laying waste to the area. General Zod was running things and noticed that a kid was trying to escape from town on horse back. (The kid had pleaded with Zod earlier to release his father from being suspended in mid air by a beam Zod was producing from his hand. Zod released his father, letting him fall to the ground.) Just when Zod saw the kid trying to escape, he said "I said no one may leave." Dom (the big guy) took the red light he was holding that he had torn from atop the cop car and hurled it in the direction of the kid. It hissed through the air like a falling bomb when he threw it and it exploded where the kid was. You never see the dead kid, but you get the gist. Next a women says, "He was just a boy." And Purser (the woman villian) says, "And he will never be a man!"

Now I have been looking for that scene everytime it comes on television and I have even rented the movie, but have yet to find a copy with that scene. Obviously it is a brutle scene, with the kids death and all, but I havent seen the scene in so long and I know I didnt imagine it.

Does anyone else remember this scene? Is it on only specific copies of the movie?? confused-smiley-013.gif

That was on the TV version, including many other scenes like an extended begining at Krypton and Lex Luthor being captured by police at the end of the movie. These are not on the DVD box set frown.gif That version is roughly 15-20 min longer than the DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081573/alternateversions

Link with pictures of footage

http://www.supermancinema.net/superman2/exfoot2_the_tv_broadcasts.htm

Thanks for the link Rip! I knew I wasnt insane.gif!!

Some versions show a young boy in the small town get killed by Zod as he rides away for help

This is wrong though...he was killed by Dom throwing the light at him, not Zod! 893naughty-thumb.gif

No no your still CRAZY..... everbody knows "Superman 4: Quest for Peace" was the best one

893whatthe.gifsign-funnypost.gif

http://www.supermancinema.net/superman2/s2analysis.htm

A little trivia on Superman II. Most of it was filmed by Richard Donner. Richard Lester was brought in to finish it. Gene Hackman did not want to finish it unless Donner was director, so the some of the scenes at the end where filmed with a stand in and a voice over to sound like Hackman. All the scenes with Hackman were done by Donner. There is a petition for Warner Bro to get Donner to do a cut of the film that restores most of his film version back. From what I understand, there is enough in the vaults to get a close version of what Donner had in mind for II. The whole vision of I and II was closer to a two part movie and they would mesh better. It is a pity that the Salkinds did not like Donner. Superman II would have been much better.

The scenes with Supermans mom were filmed with Brando, but technacalities prevented those scenes. That is also why you see somebody else doing the music. John Williams score was used, but the music was conducted by someone else using the themes from I.