• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seems like no more adam hughes con sketches

195 posts in this topic

It was a nice sketch

For five and a half grand? It should be a heck of a lot nicer than that.

Five grand is high, unless AH's con sketch auctions start running at 5K (they have been running at 3K) .

Of course that piece has historical significance :P

Malvin

Even 3K is ridiculous to me. To each his own rules the day of course. For my money, there's a lot of stuff I'd buy for 3-5K before I got a 30 minute sketch from AH!.

At this point, AH! sketches reach crazy prices just because they're AH! sketches, not because they're any good. I feel pretty insane for being about to pay 2K for an Art Adams commission ... but it'll be so far beyond that WW sketch in a bunch of ways.

If you think his convention sketches take a 1/2 hour, or anything close to a half hour, then you've never seen the time he takes with his convention sketches.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I have no idea how long they take.

That's why I wanted to correct it before it became a misconception.

Those sketches are several hours each, they aren't quickie doodles, and the market on them has developed over the course of about 20+ years.

Up until a couple years ago Adam was selling them for $100 a pop at shows. 40-50 or more people would line up before the show opens and would run, literally run, to his booth to try and get on the list for one. They've been trading at $2k+ on the secondary market for well over 8 years. Someone sent me an unsolicited $2k offer for the one I got back in 2004 ( I still have the sketch).

It's only in the last couple of years that he's offered a guaranteed sketch on Ebay and let the market determine what they are worth. I don't blame him one bit and I don't think it helps to degrade the artwork because to some people it's worth what seems like an excessive amount. And for the record, I have yet to see an AH! convention piece that wasn't "any good".

The reason people are so nuts for them is because he toiled so hard, for so many years, pumping out con pieces that are all well thought out and well executed, and basically gave the sketches away for 1/10th, or 1/20th of the going rate. The fan base is huge (over 7,800 members of his yahoo group where most fan groups have 400-500 members) and have been following him since the early 90's.

He is still not charging 10% of the going price for the people that go to his table and sign up for a sketch. Most of the sketches he does at shows are $200 or $400. It's only one sketch a day (max) that people fight over on ebay.

If this were an artist asking $3k or $5k for a sketch that's one thing, but it's not what's happening here.

It was a nice sketch

Five grand is high, unless AH's con sketch auctions start running at 5K (they have been running at 3K) .

Malvin

Even 3K is ridiculous to me. To each his own rules the day of course. For my money, there's a lot of stuff I'd buy for 3-5K before I got a 30 minute sketch from AH!.

At this point, AH! sketches reach crazy prices just because they're AH! sketches, not because they're any good. I feel pretty insane for being about to pay 2K for an Art Adams commission ... but it'll be so far beyond that WW sketch in a bunch of ways.

If you think his convention sketches take a 1/2 hour, or anything close to a half hour, then you've never seen the time he takes with his convention sketches.

Those sketches are several hours each, they aren't quickie doodles, and the market on them has developed over the course of about 20+ years.

Up until a couple years ago Adam was selling them for $100 a pop at shows. 40-50 or more people would line up before the show opens and would run, literally run, to his booth to try and get on the list for one. They've been trading at $2k+ on the secondary market for well over 8 years. Someone sent me an unsolicited $2k offer for the one I got back in 2004 ( I still have the sketch).

It's only in the last couple of years that he's offered a guaranteed sketch on Ebay and let the market determine what they are worth. I don't blame him one bit and I don't think it helps to degrade the artwork because to some people it's worth what seems like an excessive amount. And for the record, I have yet to see an AH! convention piece that wasn't "any good".

The reason people are so nuts for them is because he toiled so hard, for so many years, pumping out con pieces that are all well thought out and well executed, and basically gave the sketches away for 1/10th, or 1/20th of the going rate. The fan base is huge (over 7,800 members of his yahoo group where most fan groups have 400-500 members) and have been following him since the early 90's.

He is still not charging 10% of the going price for the people that go to his table and sign up for a sketch. Most of the sketches he does at shows are $200 or $400. It's only one sketch a day (max) that people fight over on ebay.

If this were an artist asking $3k or $5k for a sketch that's one thing, but it's not what's happening here.

Safe to assume you're talking about a piece that's more involved than the WW one that just sold for $5,500? Or is that several hours work, and representative of what one gets for that kinda money?

Safe to assume you're talking about a piece that's more involved than the WW one that just sold for $5,500? Or is that several hours work, and representative of what one gets for that kinda money?

That WW isn't even close to his best sketches, IMO.

Yeah. Usually when I see examples of his con stuff, it's pretty sweet full single figures with a bit of a designy background. I think the WW one is selling so high cuz it's notorious.

It was a nice sketch

Malvin

I think that's actually a $200 sketch that someone got...still not a 1/2 hour sketch.

And on the one that sold on Clink, I am a little suspicious of that final amount.

These are what the guaranteed ones look like:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=827588&GSub=119359

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=777243&GSub=111861

Here's a con sketch I got by signing up on the list

NSFW!!!! Scan

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=741485&GSub=13532

Safe for Forums scan:

AhNancy2.jpg

No, not even close to one of his best....it's also the cheapest, bust-style sketch that he offers.

I was referring to the comment of "AH! sketches reach crazy prices just because they're AH! sketches, not because they're any good."

That's a huge generalization if it's just this sketch that's being used as evidence.

It was a nice sketch

Malvin

I think that's actually a $200 sketch that someone got...still not a 1/2 hour sketch.

And on the one that sold on Clink, I am a little suspicious of that final amount.

These are what the guaranteed ones look like:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=827588&GSub=119359

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=777243&GSub=111861

Here's a con sketch I got by signing up on the list

NSFW!!!! Scan

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=741485&GSub=13532

Safe for Forums scan:

AhNancy2.jpg

Awesome! Yeah, that's more what I was thinking about. Still too pricey for my world, but he gets what people are willing to pay.

It was a nice sketch

Malvin

He's too busy walking around.

It was a nice sketch

Malvin

You mean panels, and signing and program events? Yeah I see that at SDCC and when he was at C2E2. They had him booked up solid all weekend. He was signing at DC so much during C2E2 that he didn't even do his regular signing time or do any sketches this year.

It was a nice sketch

Malvin

You mean panels, and signing and program events? Yeah I see that at SDCC and when he was at C2E2. They had him booked up solid all weekend. He was signing at DC so much during C2E2 that he didn't even do his regular signing time or do any sketches this year.

Chris,

Bolland going to be at this years NYC Con?

It was a nice sketch

Malvin

Chris,

:wishluck: He's another one it's tough to get some work from. He doesn't charge too much, but he only does those sketches he feels like doing. Last year I tried four times (once a day) to get a little Batgirl head sketch, but it was a no go. :( I would have loved that Batgirl head sketch like it was my very own daughter.

It was a nice sketch

Malvin

Chris,

Looks like Baltimore right now. No news on NYCC.

They've been cutting back severely on covering expenses for creators at NYCC and it's a rather large out of pocket from the UK to Manhattan if the show doesn't cover any of it.

It was a nice sketch

Malvin

Chris,

They've been cutting back severely on covering expenses for creators at NYCC and it's a rather large out of pocket from the UK to Manhattan if the show doesn't cover any of it.

He can stay with me. :)

It was a nice sketch

Malvin

Chris,

Would you be willing to let him sleep in your bed if he has a nightmare?

It was a nice sketch

Malvin

Chris,

Would you be willing to let him sleep in your bed if he has a nightmare?

Erm, I think the nightmare comes from being in the bed with me.