• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seems like no more adam hughes con sketches

195 posts in this topic

My sketch took him 5+ hours to complete.

I'd say that's a good average. After seeing him at too many cons to count I'd agree 5 hours is about right for a finished piece like he's done for the last couple of years (that includes a few interruptions of course). At best maybe 2 sketches a day? Usually 4 or 5 at a 3 day show.

...but using that same logic, it only takes one less scrupulous "fan" less than 10 minutes to walk up, tell a lying sob story, put their name on a list and pay $400 for a sketch, to then turn around and sell it on eBay for over $2,500, so if you assume a profit of $2,000 for 10 minutes "work" that's comparable to $12,000 per hour or $480,000 per week or nearly $25 million per year based on that transaction... :)

Joking aside... again, the original point of this issue, I believe was the level of deceit that one person used towards two artists that turned what's normally a fan friendly environment into an economic hustle.

I don't disagree with those who eventually trade or sell their artwork after they've owned it, for whatever reason, be it economic strife or simple boredom with the piece, whether selling it for a profit or a loss. In fact, it's good for artwork to exchange ownership and fall into the hands of a person who beholds it respectfully with appreciation. After all, nobody truly owns art in this world, since we're all mortals and eventually hopefully ownership changes hands, since "you can't take it with you" so to speak.

What was wrong with this specific situation was the level of lying in the name of profiteering that this person engaged in in order to get what he wanted that everyone is now complaining about.

After all, nobody truly owns art in this world, since we're all mortals and eventually hopefully ownership changes hands, since "you can't take it with you" so to speak.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... VIKING FUNERAL!!! If I can help it I'll load it all on to a boat and take it with me riding that burning vessel into Valhalla with Led Zepplin's Immigrant Song playing on my iPod and all my collectibles by my side.

You can take it with you. You just have to plan and be a little retro.

I found this post to be quite amusing because it's obvious that some people have little idea as to the constant demands on Adam's time from fans wanting to meet & shake his hand, to have him sign their comics/trading cards/t-shirt/statue base/copy of Cover Run or whatever other item they'd like him to autograph, to purchase a sketchbook or print from him etc.

Having attended SDCC on a number of occasions, I have seen firsthand the constant line of people queued around Adam's table with people wanting to meet him, sign up for a sketch (no longer) etc. With one or two exceptions, I did not observe the same numbers of people around other creator booths/tables.

He's also been doing a lot of head sketches for $5.00 a head sketch as fund raising for various charities including animal shelters, Japan relief effort etc. That also takes time and the money isn't going to his pocket.

At a number of his con appearances he's committed to the charity auction painting (Heroes) as well as taking part in various panels to discuss his techniques and other related topics (Big Wow).

I suspect that, taking into account all of the above (and other things I haven't considered) your figures are somewhat erroneous! Best,

Royd (yes, I'm biased but it doesn't make what I've stated above inaccurate or irrelevant)

Ok i've read through this thread a bit,here's my opinion. He prolly feels taken advantage of. Ya know, Adam draw this, Adam draw that, then they go and sell it. Thinking he's doing his fans a favor,Are all these people even fans? Probably not. Anyhow, How long does it take him to do a drawing? 20 mins? let's see...that's 3 sketches an hour @200.00 each. 7 hour show...1 downtime for food,bathroom,stretching legs...6 hours of drawing ...$1200.00 per show, 3 day show..$3600 in cash per show, then travel to another city and do it all over again...

I don't feel bad for Adam.

I found this post to be quite amusing because it's obvious that some people have little idea as to the constant demands on Adam's time from fans wanting to meet & shake his hand, to have him sign their comics/trading cards/t-shirt/statue base/copy of Cover Run or whatever other item they'd like him to autograph, to purchase a sketchbook or print from him etc.

Having attended SDCC on a number of occasions, I have seen firsthand the constant line of people queued around Adam's table with people wanting to meet him, sign up for a sketch (no longer) etc. With one or two exceptions, I did not observe the same numbers of people around other creator booths/tables.

He's also been doing a lot of head sketches for $5.00 a head sketch as fund raising for various charities including animal shelters, Japan relief effort etc. That also takes time and the money isn't going to his pocket.

At a number of his con appearances he's committed to the charity auction painting (Heroes) as well as taking part in various panels to discuss his techniques and other related topics (Big Wow).

I suspect that, taking into account all of the above (and other things I haven't considered) your figures are somewhat erroneous! Best,

Royd (yes, I'm biased but it doesn't make what I've stated above inaccurate or irrelevant)

Ok i've read through this thread a bit,here's my opinion. He prolly feels taken advantage of. Ya know, Adam draw this, Adam draw that, then they go and sell it. Thinking he's doing his fans a favor,Are all these people even fans? Probably not. Anyhow, How long does it take him to do a drawing? 20 mins? let's see...that's 3 sketches an hour @200.00 each. 7 hour show...1 downtime for food,bathroom,stretching legs...6 hours of drawing ...$1200.00 per show, 3 day show..$3600 in cash per show, then travel to another city and do it all over again...

I don't feel bad for Adam.

Sounds like all that's true, and Adam's a really nice guy. I only wish he could have dealt with this earlier, before he got quite so fed up, so that he might have found a less drastic solution. Several less drastic solutions have already been suggested here, so I won't bother.

At what conventions does adam hughes do the quick charity sketches at? I never see him soar st local so cal shows. Does he do the charity sketches at san diego comic con and what's the chances if getting one?

At what conventions does adam hughes do the quick charity sketches at? I never see him soar st local so cal shows. Does he do the charity sketches at san diego comic con and what's the chances if getting one?

I have seen him do them at NYCC, Heroes, C2E2 in the last 12 months. It looked like everyone who wanted one, got one.

I have seen him do them at NYCC, Heroes, C2E2 in the last 12 months. It looked like everyone who wanted one, got one.

Add Boston to the list. It seems as though he's been doing a lot recently and he'll usually list what time he'll sign and do quick sketches.

Add Boston to the list. It seems as though he's been doing a lot recently and he'll usually list what time he'll sign and do quick sketches.

The dollar tally is huge too, it's over $1k at each show I have been in attendance, and usually much more.

Mr. Palmer,

Scratch Mid-Ohio from the list. At least, going forward. I was standing right next to Adam and Allison when they got the news that Mid-Ohio was going to become a Wizard show and the both swore up and down to me that they would never do the show as long as it was under Wizard's aegis. They clearly do not like the way Wizard handles their shows and were so vehement about it that I think it wise to take them at their word there.

casl

It was mentioned that the guy emailed Allison making excuses for his behavior.

She posted that he said and I quote:

"He said his car broke down after the show and he needed the money from the auction to fix it. But upon seeing that the Hughes-Fan and Adam himself was so upset, he borrowed the money from a family member and took the piece off eBay to keep."

This was after telling Allison that it was because he lost his job. Then he switched it to his wife losing her job. I think then it was both jobs, perhaps.

Being that it's back on Ebay now he may have switched gears and may begin going with biblical plagues to keep it interesting.

Being that it's back on Ebay now he may have switched gears and may begin going with biblical plagues to keep it interesting.

Locust repellent is expensive.

Technically, the auction itself can be removed from eBay, I believe all it would take is the copyright owner, DC Comics to have it delisted as an infringment tounauthorized marketing and selling of the Wonder Woman character image and name.

I've seen it happen by DC for characters such as Supergirl and Wonder Woman. It's a very random occurance more than a rule that is policed or enforced, but it does happen.

If the "fan" is true to his word and is selling the piece not as a profiteering motive, but one for economic distress, to keep peace with the community he should just put it on eBay for the original purchase price of $400 as a "Buy it Now" to get his money back... or better yet, offer to donate the balance of the price it sells for over $400 to the charity of Adam and Alison's choice. That would be a fair and peacmaking effort.

auction is at 11 Bids $1,525.00 Time left:3d with 5 different people bidding on it

Goal should be a collectve effort by the fans to win the auction & to get the sketch back to Adam

auction is at 11 Bids $1,525.00 Time left:3d with 5 different people bidding on it

Goal should be a collectve effort by the fans to win the auction & to get the sketch back to Adam

Personally, i think the goal should be for the piece to sell for $1.00. It will never happen though