• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seems like no more adam hughes con sketches

195 posts in this topic

Well there is the CGC sketch option to keep forgeries down, but the sketch area for encapsulation is small. Also some artists do not want to do the slab route while others think its a great idea.

Why would forgeries become more of an issue? Adam and Allison are willing to tell you if something looks authentic, and he'll still be doing the $5 sketches that will meet demand. Those headsketches could be faked, but if you really want one - don't go to ebay, just ask someone to pick one up for you at a show. Just like buying a "Bob Kane" sketch off of ebay - buyer beware.

I don't see demand being a problem. He's already done tons of convention pieces over the last 20 years, those will continue to be re-sold and traded.

Am I completely off my rocker here by worrying that with demand for AH!'s work still sky-high, and supply presumably about to dry up in a big way, that forgeries of AH!'s work might become a bigger problem than it has been before?

There have already been plenty of attempts to forge Adam's work. But if you do your research, they're pretty easy to spot. (Hint: They're not very good.) (Another hint: If the sketch - or one very similar to it - is on CAF, ask the owner if he's selling.) (Another another hint: Adam's fan list on Yahoo is a great place to ask if a sketch is legit. The various fans - and Allison - are good at weeding out the bad ones.)

I'm late to the party... why is it infamous?

This is the sketch that broke the camel's back. At Boston Comic Con last year, Adam did 3 sketches. One of them was this infamous sketch. The guy who requested it had begged Adam and Allison all weekend and they granted his wish. He apparently did the same to J Scott Campbell and Neal Adams and scored sketches from them as well. That Sunday night after the con, the guy ended up putting all 3 on eBay. Adam was so disgusted with the action that he decided to end his policy of taking commission lists at cons and now only does eBay auctions before the cons he goes to which go for ridiculously high prices. So if you've won the mega millions, you can get an Adam Hughes commission. Otherwise, you've got to look to someone else to draw some boobs.

I'm amazed Adam held out this long. You can tell he really wanted fans to get pieces at a layman prices but it just doesn't work when the pieces are so valuable

Couldn't the guy at least wait a month? I mean I don't think it is the fact people sell. I think it is the fact people lie and beg then put it up 20 minutes after they get it. I only sell if I get an upgrade.

When artist see their art for sale on ebay for exuberant prices by people who specifically bought the art to sell it makes them feel like worker monkeys and whores.

It kind of degrades them and cheapens their work.

These guys are human beings and have feelings. They want to go to conventions to have a good time and meet people and perhaps make a living. They are not simply here for our amusement.

The fact that they sign and do sketches is simply a biproduct of them attending different festivals & conventions.

The quicker people realize that the better off we will be.

I dont see what's wrong with selling your own property...the guy pays AH what he wants for the piece and after that he can do whatever he likes with it. And I really cant feel too sorry for AH as he has the perfect business - he can create liquid inventory whenever he wants and -more or less- charge whatever he wants for it.

I would assume though at some point, the market will be flooded with so mush AH work that the value will start to diminish -- but then again, maybe not.

The seller has every legal right to sell his property. However if the artist makes it known he doesn't want to produce art for flippers, that he is intentionally undercharging because he wants real fans that plan to keep the art to have it and someone intentionally exploits what he knows about the artist to get an undervalued piece by posing as a die-hard fan he is being deceitful. As much as he has the legal right to sell the property, Adam has the right to be pissed he is being lied to and manipulated by people who aren't really fans and just want to profit from his good will towards his fans.

As for the contention that the value will diminish, it's quite the opposite. I've seen a softening of prices on after-market convention sketches. The demand was greater when he was creating the sketches regularly. I think the spectacle that would occur every time he was sketching at a convention would help fuel interest and demand for sketches on the open market.

BTW, just for the record, Adam doesn't have an issue with people selling his work. He has an issue with people lying to him and taking the opportunity from someone who would value the artwork and experience of getting one at a con much more. I don't want to speak for him but as a fan and someone who's followed his artwork on the market for a while I think I'm correct. Plus, I have spoken to him and Allison about this and have read their opinions on the subject.

Nail on the head, CollectingFool!

Some greedy a**hole took the spot away from a true fan, lied to AH and took advantage of his generosity (under charging for his fans).

Just because the guy had a legal right to flip it doesn't make him less of a doosh.

As much as he has the legal right to sell the property, Adam has the right to be pissed he is being lied to and manipulated by people who aren't really fans and just want to profit from his good will towards his fans.

This seems to be the part that all the "It's my property, I can do what I want" people seem to gloss over. Artists are people too — and when you take advantage of them to turn a quick buck, they don't like it too much.

The seller has every legal right to sell his property. However if the artist makes it known he doesn't want to produce art for flippers, that he is intentionally undercharging because he wants real fans that plan to keep the art to have it and someone intentionally exploits what he knows about the artist to get an undervalued piece by posing as a die-hard fan he is being deceitful. As much as he has the legal right to sell the property, Adam has the right to be pissed he is being lied to and manipulated by people who aren't really fans and just want to profit from his good will towards his fans.

As for the contention that the value will diminish, it's quite the opposite. I've seen a softening of prices on after-market convention sketches. The demand was greater when he was creating the sketches regularly. I think the spectacle that would occur every time he was sketching at a convention would help fuel interest and demand for sketches on the open market.

BTW, just for the record, Adam doesn't have an issue with people selling his work. He has an issue with people lying to him and taking the opportunity from someone who would value the artwork and experience of getting one at a con much more. I don't want to speak for him but as a fan and someone who's followed his artwork on the market for a while I think I'm correct. Plus, I have spoken to him and Allison about this and have read their opinions on the subject.

I still dont see why AH should care what someone does with thier own property.

As for only selling discounted art to his "true" fans, this seems like a very unrealistic goal to keep. What kind of criteria would define an individual as a "true fan"?...how long should a "true fan" wait unitl AH deems its ok to flip the art?...mighty silly stuff!

Maybe AH should write "Not for re-sale" on top of his "for-fans-only" art...that might make it less flippable.

What was the issue with Hughes not just sticking to a random lottery in choosing which sketches to do at a Con? I would think that would be most fair at giving both (un-rich) fans and flippers a chance at getting a commission. Now with the eBay auction only fans with deep pockets or flippers can get a change at an AH piece.

In my opinion and from what I've seen at multiple cons where Adam has sketched, it's not a lot of fun. Actually, it's quite a grind. The only reason he put up with it for as long as he did at the prices he was charging was for the fans. Once he got fed up he decided to limit the amount of work he did and let the market decide the price. Even with that approach you'll notice he doesn't do sketches at every con and his con schedule is much lighter now. Do I miss being able to line up early and get a good chance at a sketch? Of course! I am also the first to say if it were me, I wouldn't do it. And for those who argue the money is compensation enough, he could easily make that much producing a cover from the comfort of his own home, get paid for the publishing AND have the artwork to sell afterwards.

Again, this is my opinion and conjecture but I'd be surprised if I weren't at least close to the truth.

I still dont see why AH should care what someone does with thier own property.

As for only selling discounted art to his "true" fans, this seems like a very unrealistic goal to keep. What kind of criteria would define an individual as a "true fan"?...how long should a "true fan" wait unitl AH deems its ok to flip the art?...mighty silly stuff!

Maybe AH should write "Not for re-sale" on top of his "for-fans-only" art...that might make it less flippable.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about it. AH wants to spend his time doing art for someone who appreciates the art, not someone who's trying to make a buck.

If someone commissions an artist for the sole purpose of flipping it, they're taking that spot and the artist's time away from someone who actually wants the art.

What's so hard about that concept?

What's so hard about that concept? Well... for starters- it's impossible to enforce, and that concept will only lead to frustration. It is a great concept- don't get me wrong.

BUT, the artist has to have a point were they don't get frustrated if the art goes up for sale. You have to let go. Not every re-sale of art is due to a "flipper". Sometimes a "true fan" gets a bad deal in life. Or, sometimes a "true fan" has a change in priorities and has to sell some art. Or, etc, etc etc...

What it all comes down to is that there is no way to know if someone is a "true fan" or buying art to flip the next day. There is no way to know why someone is selling art that the artist had hoped was going to a permanent home. So, to get really really really worked up about it is just adding stress to your life that no one needs...

So that's what's so hard about the concept.

What's so hard about that concept? Well... for starters- it's impossible to enforce, and that concept will only lead to frustration. It is a great concept- don't get me wrong.

BUT, the artist has to have a point were they don't get frustrated if the art goes up for sale. You have to let go. Not every re-sale of art is due to a "flipper". Sometimes a "true fan" gets a bad deal in life. Or, sometimes a "true fan" has a change in priorities and has to sell some art. Or, etc, etc etc...

What it all comes down to is that there is no way to know if someone is a "true fan" or buying art to flip the next day. There is no way to know why someone is selling art that the artist had hoped was going to a permanent home. So, to get really really really worked up about it is just adding stress to your life that no one needs...

So that's what's so hard about the concept.

Exactly. It's pie-in-the-sky to think you can just be a nice guy and sell all your stuff for way less than it's worth, trusting that every customer is there solely because they love that stuff. It doesn't work for any other product or service, why should it work for Alex Hughes sketches?

And the sad thing is, AH let it go on for so long that he found himself fed up enough that he didn't bother trying to reach a happy medium. He just said it, put the sketch ops up on ebay, and left it at that. It's too bad, and the blame is not all on the shoulders of this one guy who bought the WW drawing.