• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Based on my last few submissions, now is not the time to be resubbing books graded in 2010 or 2011 if that was when your book was graded. The standards have tightened up significantly again.

FWIW, I wonder how the Savannahs would fare on a resub now with all of those fugly dust/sun shadows on the covers. CGC is hammering that again......

Edited by kimik

Based on my last few submissions, now is not the time to be resubbing books graded in 2010 or 2011 if that was when your book was graded. The standards have tightened up significantly again.

FWIW, I wonder how the Savannahs would fare on a resub now with all of those fugly dust/sun shadows on the covers. CGC is hammering that again......

Resubmitting or pressing and submitting? I have several books in Matt Nelson's possession awaiting processing.

In my opinion, I don't think there are time frames when CGC is more strict or more lax; it just depends on how they graded your particular book that an individual (meaning you or anyone) may not particularly agree with.

By stating they have tightened up again in grading suggests that their grading standards are constantly changing. I do not believe this to be the case at all. I think they are fairly accurate in abiding by the standards they set forth. Individual results may vary. Certain situations may also affect grading; i.e. convention season, large amount of submissions, training new employees, etc.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Resubmitting or pressing and submitting? I have several books in Matt Nelson's possession awaiting processing.

In my opinion, I don't think there are time frames when CGC is more strict or more lax; it just depends on how they graded your particular book that an individual (meaning you or anyone) may not particularly agree with.

By stating they have tightened up again in grading suggests that their grading standards are constantly changing. I do not believe this to be the case at all. I think they are fairly accurate in abiding by the standards they set forth. Individual results may vary. Certain situations may also affect grading; i.e. convention season, large amount of submissions, training new employees, etc.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Mint, there have been numerous threads about this over time. Grading goes in cycles, which is why it is key to buy the book and not the label. (thumbs u

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Mint, there have been numerous threads about this over time. Grading goes in cycles, which is why it is key to buy the book and not the label. (thumbs u

But there is a root cause. In my original statement I listed several very likely reasons: "convention season, large amount of submissions, training new employees..."

Sometimes this forum makes it seem like CGC doesn't have strict standards. I do not buy into the principle that someone can base their submission time frame on the results of other submitters. By that logic, and due to turnaround times alone; by the time your books would go through the grading process, the standards would have shifted again.

Just an observation.

'mint'

But there is a root cause. In my original statement I listed several very likely reasons: "convention season, large amount of submissions, training new employees..."

Sometimes this forum makes it seem like CGC doesn't have strict standards. I do not buy into the principle that someone can base their submission time frame on the results of other submitters. By that logic, and due to turnaround times alone; by the time your books would go through the grading process, the standards would have shifted again.

Just an observation.

'mint'

That may be true, but the samples of books graded in the last couple of years were a far cry of grading standards I observed in the 2003-2006 era. Granted it's a statistically insignificant sampling I've observed, but I've seen enough over the last decade to know that grading "trends" at CGC have indeed emerged, even if it's only in my head :)

Batman #222 was a common book at today's Red & White show in Calgary - one dealer from Vancouver brought 3 copies with him.........

So they're all stashed in Canada!

They are common drek for us. lol

I snagged two of his copies - VG and VG+ that looks a bit nicer. Nothing high grade, unfortunately, but at the price he was asking it was worth it.

I snagged two of his copies - VG and VG+ that looks a bit nicer. Nothing high grade, unfortunately, but at the price he was asking it was worth it.

Ah cool, I was at the same dealer when you were inspecting those 222's. I picked up a mid-grade #244 and #245 from the same dealer at a decent price.

Just an observation.

'mint'

That may be true, but the samples of books graded in the last couple of years were a far cry of grading standards I observed in the 2003-2006 era. Granted it's a statistically insignificant sampling I've observed, but I've seen enough over the last decade to know that grading "trends" at CGC have indeed emerged, even if it's only in my head :)

Here are a few reasons why the strictness varies IMO, sometimes to noticeable levels.

1. What are CGC grading criteria standards, that they strictly adhere to? This one is rhetorical

2. Grading is subjective.

3. People are unique and different people are constantly grading different books.

So not only is grading subjective, but the individuals applying grades are also imbuing their own interpretation of criteria that is does not have the ability to be subject to peer review outside of a small subset.

Now all of that said I think CGC does an admirable job A) Creating a basis for the application of a subjective exercise. We have the ability to assess their grading from book to book over a very large sample size. B) Retention of their grading staff, which is obviously important for consistency.

So I think they do a good job, but anyone along a long enough timeline will show variance in the subjective application of grading a comic. CGC has the timeline and volume to allow those variances to show up and be observed by a wider audience.

2c

Just an observation.

'mint'

Here are a few reasons why the strictness varies IMO, sometimes to noticeable levels.

1. What are CGC grading criteria standards, that they strictly adhere to? This one is rhetorical

2. Grading is subjective.

3. People are unique and different people are constantly grading different books.

So not only is grading subjective, but the individuals applying grades are also imbuing their own interpretation of criteria that is does not have the ability to be subject to peer review outside of a small subset.

Now all of that said I think CGC does an admirable job A) Creating a basis for the application of a subjective exercise. We have the ability to assess their grading from book to book over a very large sample size. B) Retention of their grading staff, which is obviously important for consistency.

So I think they do a good job, but anyone along a long enough timeline will show variance in the subjective application of grading a comic. CGC has the timeline and volume to allow those variances to show up and be observed by a wider audience.

2c

But this is NOT something that goes in 'cycles' based on your analysis. For instance, human variance and deviation is not a predictable event.

This is my point. There would have to be an 'event' that would allow grading to be cyclical and predictable; not just 'human nature.'

I can understand this under instances of a lot of submissions, training new employees, and convention season. That being said, by the time you catch on and realize that submissions are either 'strict' or lenient; the turnaround times would make any kind of guessing; just a guess...unless you pay for a same day submission based on just a 'hunch.'

Just another view...

Kind Regards,

'mint'