• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Signature Auction Results, Astonishments, Shocks, Disappointments, etc.

417 posts in this topic

Krazy Kat was on the money...this seems to be just the tip of the iceberg.

Sweet LORD!!!

Why not just chant "Candyman" three times into a mirror at midnight?? :frustrated:

lol

He was right about precious metals and he was right about original art. Bang on, actually.

(thumbs u

Not one specific date and not one personal "skin in the game" action taken toward those claims.

That's like saying, sometime in the future, some random commodity will be worth more than it is today....at a certain point, you'll be right...everyone would be.

The only thing I have ever seen him do is create shill accounts and renege on an Ebay art auction.

Fair enough. As a relative outsider (I don't keep up with his posts) I don't know him personally or how much skin he has in the game. You'd know better than me.

:foryou:

The auction venue was the Fletcher-Sinclair mansion on the upper East Side, right on Central Park and amongst some of the highest priced real estate in the world.

On the way, the Trump Towers Time Warner Towers:

Trumptowers.jpg

I miss NYC sometimes when I see photos like this (I also miss the affordable real estate - Hong Kong is crazy). I lived on Columbus Circle and left NYC shortly after the Time Warner Towers went up there and worked at 9 West 57th fairly close to where the auction house was.

Thrilled with my one and only win.....I better be, it's going to be my only win for quite a while. :eek:

lf-1.jpg

You're wild about that book, Andy. Now the Church! Congrats, pal.

That is a really cool book! CONGRATS! :headbang:

That's definitely a wow book... amazing! congrats Andy. Small amount of CT on cover only, I don't know much about it. Is that possible to remove without lowering the grade any?

....I'd leave it alone....might've been Snyder's work and would be kind of historical. Also, removing color touch is just MORE restoration in the strict sense. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

So, my old copy of Mad #1 CGC 9.8 Gaines was for sale.

It sold in 2004 for $32,200.00. The census had 3 CGC 9.8s.

I bought it in 2005 for $32,200.00. The census had 3 CGC 9.8s.

Sometime after I bought it there were magically 6 CGC 9.8s.

Sold it around 2009 or so (whatever it says in GPA) for $25k and was happy to take the loss instead of sitting on it further as copies blossomed into higher grades.

Now there are 5 CGC 9.8s and 1 CGC 9.9. hm

Current sale: $19,200.00 (w/bp).

Thrilled with my one and only win.....I better be, it's going to be my only win for quite a while. :eek:

lf-1.jpg

You're wild about that book, Andy. Now the Church! Congrats, pal.

That is a really cool book! CONGRATS! :headbang:

That's definitely a wow book... amazing! congrats Andy. Small amount of CT on cover only, I don't know much about it. Is that possible to remove without lowering the grade any?

....I'd leave it alone....might've been Snyder's work and would be kind of historical. Also, removing color touch is just MORE restoration in the strict sense. GOD BLESS...

The color touch is amateur, so I assume it has bleed-through and couldn't be removed without digging out the paper...and that ain't happening! If it was pro-CT, that would be a different story.

me too...hasn't moved in minutes

They have to get their act together if they're going to auction off $1MIL in books.

:pullhair:

Anyone who really wants a major book and is willing to place their faith on being able to bid live via the internet is insane.

major books, sure...but many times, there are a ton of lots that "might" be worth throwing a bid in on, that you can't logistically or realistically set up phone bidding on...that is what is frustrating (thumbs u

For those, just put in your best shot as an internet bid and then let it ride. (shrug)

I purposely don`t allow myself to bid during the live auction because I know myself too well.

with rumors of house bidding, I don't like to leave internet bids and let them ride...live or dive (thumbs u

I am really surprised that you are buying into the conspiracy theories.

In any event, the house can bid live, anonymously, via the internet or telephone, so I think any protection gained from bidding live is illusory at best.

Sweet LORD!!!

Why not just chant "Candyman" three times into a mirror at midnight?? :frustrated:

lol

He was right about precious metals and he was right about original art. Bang on, actually.

(thumbs u

Not one specific date and not one personal "skin in the game" action taken toward those claims.

That's like saying, sometime in the future, some random commodity will be worth more than it is today....at a certain point, you'll be right...everyone would be.

The only thing I have ever seen him do is create shill accounts and renege on an Ebay art auction.

Fair enough. As a relative outsider (I don't keep up with his posts) I don't know him personally or how much skin he has in the game. You'd know better than me.

He just makes me laugh, as if saying "Extremely rare collectibles in A)Super High Grade or B) Perfect examples by legendary artists are going to be worth a lot of money someday" is ground breaking news.

You knew that already, I knew that, everyone in the hobby for more than 10 seconds did too, all without creating a dozen shill accounts just so we have someone to talk to.

me too...hasn't moved in minutes

They have to get their act together if they're going to auction off $1MIL in books.

:pullhair:

Anyone who really wants a major book and is willing to place their faith on being able to bid live via the internet is insane.

major books, sure...but many times, there are a ton of lots that "might" be worth throwing a bid in on, that you can't logistically or realistically set up phone bidding on...that is what is frustrating (thumbs u

For those, just put in your best shot as an internet bid and then let it ride. (shrug)

I purposely don`t allow myself to bid during the live auction because I know myself too well.

with rumors of house bidding, I don't like to leave internet bids and let them ride...live or dive (thumbs u

I am really surprised that you are buying into the conspiracy theories.

In any event, the house can bid live, anonymously, via the internet or telephone, so I think any protection gained from bidding live is illusory at best.

lol nothing illusionary about it...

if I enter my max proxy ahead of time, the "house" knows exactly how high it can safely bid me up...

if I enter bids incrementally via a live position, the house has no way to know where or when I will stop... definitely my advantage , if such an advantage exists (thumbs u

will be interesting to see how that does.

anyone else underwhelmed with how the asm 4 did? (77k). based on the spideyphiles and lone 9.6 I was expecting a bigger #

You`re disappointed by $77K for an ASM that`s not #1?

Man, we have become seriously jaded! :baiting:

So, my old copy of Mad #1 CGC 9.8 Gaines was for sale.

It sold in 2004 for $32,200.00. The census had 3 CGC 9.8s.

I bought it in 2005 for $32,200.00. The census had 3 CGC 9.8s.

Sometime after I bought it there were magically 6 CGC 9.8s.

Sold it around 2009 or so (whatever it says in GPA) for $25k and was happy to take the loss instead of sitting on it further as copies blossomed into higher grades.

Now there are 5 CGC 9.8s and 1 CGC 9.9. hm

Current sale: $19,200.00 (w/bp).

Mark, I haven't seen it in hand, but that 9.8 MAD 1 has to be the prettiest 9.8 I've ever seen.....why it didn't get a 10.0 is a mystery to me. GOD BLESS...

anyone else underwhelmed with how the asm 4 did? (77k). based on the spideyphiles and lone 9.6 I was expecting a bigger #

Indeed, as it sold for more money than any other comic in Gary Dahlberg's collection. :o

It went for 2K more than I predicted....and it was a soft 9.6.....more like a 9.496. GOD BLESS...

In hindsight, it was a pretty darn interesting troll, as he forced people in a famously secretive part of the hobby to debate what he was saying with more credible info. If he'd been less abrasive about it, he might have moved the needle quite a bit on his agenda.

dear god in heaven, the DK splash went for $450k. that's right, $450k

Day-um! :o

It`s not often you see even the irrational exuberance estimates blown out of the water. Hope you benefited from the feel good factor. :wishluck:

In hindsight, it was a pretty darn interesting troll, as he forced people in a famously secretive part of the hobby to debate what he was saying with more credible info. If he'd been less abrasive about it, he might have moved the needle quite a bit on his agenda.

....he was actually quite tame compared to some of the DooDah's that come on here nowadays....I actually liked him. GOD BLESS...

$448,125 for the Miller/Janson Splash...

Yes, to some floor bidder named Todd. Applause all around after that lot ended...

stunning. in the OA forum they speculated maybe $200k

My prediction was I would be more shocked if it hammered UNDER $125k than if it hammered OVER $200k. How far above was a mystery to everyone.

Uncharted waters here. A rare thing to have a piece of this stature in a public auction.

I am awestruck. I figured $200K tops.

That is the highest price paid for a piece of OA isn't it?

The Bats #11 and Supes #14 covers didn't even touch that in their reserve auctions, didn't they?

I'm betting those covers will now sell a little easier.

Apples and oranges.

Thanks to Bob Siman for posting the pics. I'll make a more extensive report and some observations late tomorrow night.

Bob and I had a blast making the road trip -- truly an awesome time, not just at the auction but the whole trip combined.

Getting an opportunity to see all of the books -- any of the books in the auction -- was just an incredible thrill. It was also tremendously educational. Seeing each book gave me the opportunity to get a feel for the collection in general, strengths, weaknesses and grading vagaries.

I'll get into more detail generally about this tomorrow, but to me, there was a slightly different feel to this collection v. others. Structural integrity was not the most important factor in the grade for many of these books. While most are terrific (and no John, the ST 135 9.6 is NOT a soft grade -- seeing it in person, it is spot on) examples, they have outstanding page quality, gloss, registration and color strike.

I think this was given high consideration.

Going into this auction, I wanted to bid as a fan, not a dealer. And I did so. In fact I didn't buy some of the better deals, and instead chose two books I love, but neither of which are rare.

My 2nd all time favorite book, Cap 100 CGC 9.6 TC was a stunning copy. Nice whites, deep colors and 9.6 structure. I paid very aggressively, and wanted that book.

The other book I bought was the Iron Man 1 CGC 9.4, which in hand was just spectacular in terms of colors. I thought it went very reasonably.

The ASMs, FFs and JIMs were all very nice. I wish I had $250k to buy everything I wanted.

It was fantastic getting a few minutes to catch up with Mark Haspel. Terrific talking with one of the best guys anywhere John Skoulides, and seeing friends (if only for a minute) like Dmac and old friends like Dave Miller.

Kudos to Heritage. I thought a first rate job. The auctioneers (the guy first was just an incredible pro) were amazing. Barry, Lon and Ed did a fantastic first rate job running a smooth operation (maybe they've done it before?).

I know some folks had internet problems. That's obviously an issue -- and I'm sure they'll look into it -- but of course, there's bound to be those issues from time to time -- as their connection -- and the internet, are going to have the occasional issue beyond anyone's control.

All in all, I really like the Twin Cities books. I'll give further details about the trips and books, the grading, etc. tomorrow evening.

Sweet LORD!!!

lol

(thumbs u

He just makes me laugh, as if saying "Extremely rare collectibles in A)Super High Grade or B) Perfect examples by legendary artists are going to be worth a lot of money someday" is ground breaking news.

You knew that already, I knew that, everyone in the hobby for more than 10 seconds did too, all without creating a dozen shill accounts just so we have someone to talk to.

Sure but he talked about the breakdown of the US economy and the explosion of precious metal prices, well before most "experts" saw it coming.

Thankfully I had a good friend who gave me the same advice and I listened to him so it saved my bacon as far as I'm concerned.

From a peripheral perspective, he hit a few nails on the head.

Now what sort of character he is and whether he lives what he preaches I was not aware of.