• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All-Pedigree Sale: 300+ Books from the River City Collection

148 posts in this topic

[font:Comic Sans MS]ALL-PEDIGREE SALE:

300+ Books from the River City Collection[/font]

Hi, all. Thanks for stopping by! :headbang:

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve run a non-VCC sale. Hopefully, this will be one to remember. Over the next two weeks, I’ll be listing several hundred books from the pedigreed River City Collection. As most of you know, the bulk of the River City Collection was brought to market in 1998 by Brian Peets, owner of A-1 Comics in Sacramento and Roseville. It is still regarded as one of the very best Atom Age (1950s) collections. For reference, here’s a link to the Heritage Auction Galleries archive, which provides the vital stats for nearly 100 CGC-certified specimens: River City Collection Sales History.

The River City Collection included books of nearly every genre, although it’s best known for the strength of its fantasy/horror/sci-fi and adventure/war/western components. The vast majority of the comics have bright cover inks and fresh off-white and better pages. The original owner had stored some of the books outside his home (boxed, under a covered carport and in a shed), and many of those books suffered some degree of moisture and/or termite damage. The books to be listed over the next several days will include specimens from both ends of the grade spectrum and every point in between.

The books to be listed here are fresh from the vault of A-1 Comics. They belong to A-1 Comics and have been in Brian’s possession since he acquired them from their original owner. I’ll be managing this sale on Brian’s behalf. Recently, Brian and I independently graded each book to be offered here. In most cases we agreed. In those cases where we differed, the books were assigned the lower of our two grades.

Brian and I have subdivided the books by either publisher or genre into the following thirteen sets: ACG, Atlas, CDC/Charlton, Classics/Gilberton, DC, Dell, EC, Fawcett, Fiction House, Four Color (Series II), Miscellaneous Golden Age, Pre-Code Horror, and Western. Each day, I’ll list one or two randomly selected sets. Feel free to start a stack and then add to it as the sale progresses. We’ll invoice you at the conclusion of the two-week sale (or sooner, upon request). Because Brian acquired these books directly from the original owner, your invoice will serve as proof that the comics purchased here all come from the River City Collection. All books are guaranteed to be unrestored.

All books will be shipped from A-1 Comics via fully-insured USPS Priority Mail. The exact cost of shipping will be added to your order. Bullet-proof packaging guaranteed! Payment to A-1 Comics may be by PayPal, Cashier’s Check, USPS Money Order, personal check (but please allow up to ten days for your check to clear), or cash (in-store pickup only). Payment must be received within seven calendar days of being invoiced (unless other arrangements have been agreed to via PM). Items will ship within three business days of your payment. International buyers are welcomed. Miscreants, wankers, and folks currently on probation are not. Free domestic shipping on orders totaling $1000 or more.

Post the :takeit: within the selling thread to claim your prize. Now, kick back and enjoy the show! :banana::banana:

[font:Comic Sans MS]FAWCETT (All from the River City Collection)[/font]

Fawcett Movie Comics #13. Grade = VF+. Sale price = $100.

Fawcett Movie Comics #19. Grade = VF-. Sale price = $95.

Motion Picture Comics #106. Grade = VF-. Sale price = $110.

Strange Suspense Stories #4. Grade = FN-. Sale price = $110.

Suspense Detective #3. Grade = FN+. Sale price = $150.

Vic Torry and His Flying Saucer #nn. Grade = VF/NM. Sale price = $760.

Worlds of Fear #8. Grade = FN. Sale price = $120.

th_FawcettMC-13a.jpg th_FawcettMC-13b.jpg th_FawcettMC-19a.jpg th_FawcettMC-19b.jpg th_MotionPC-106a.jpg th_MotionPC-106b.jpg

th_StrangeSS-04a.jpg th_StrangeSS-04b.jpg th_SuspenseDet-03a.jpg th_SuspenseDet-03b.jpg th_VicTorry-00a.jpg th_VicTorry-00b.jpg

th_Worlds-08a.jpg th_Worlds-08b.jpg

email.gifPM zzutak

[font:Comic Sans MS]FICTION HOUSE (All from the River City Collection)[/font]

Fight Comics #85. Grade = VF- to VF. Sale price = $150. SOLD – Thank You!

¼” chip out of spine (just above the top staple). ¼” tear at spine (back cover, about 1½” above bottom).

Firehair Comics #9. Grade = FN/VF. Sale price = $70. SOLD – Thank You!

The highest CGC graded copy is currently a FN.

Firehair Comics #10. Grade = VF. Sale price = $95. SOLD – Thank You!

Ghost #9. Grade = FN. Sale price = $110.

Ghost #9. Grade = VG/FN. Sale price = $90.

Indians #2. Grade = VF/NM. Sale price = $285. SOLD – Thank You!

Gorgeous! The highest CGC graded copy is currently a VF/NM.

th_Fight-85a.jpg th_Fight-85b.jpg th_Firehair-09a.jpg th_Firehair-09b.jpg th_Firehair-10a.jpg th_Firehair-10b.jpg

th_Ghost-9a.jpg th_Ghost-9b.jpg th_Ghost-9c.jpg th_Ghost-9d.jpg th_Indians-2a.jpg th_Indians-2b.jpg

Indians #4. Grade = VF. Sale price = $120. SOLD – Thank You!

The highest CGC graded copy is currently a VF.

Indians #6. Grade = VF-. Sale price = $110. SOLD – Thank You!

Tiny tears at staples and top/bottom of spine. The highest CGC graded copy is currently a FN/VF.

Indians #7. Grade = VF. Sale price = $110. SOLD – Thank You!

No copies are currently listed in the CGC census.

Long Bow #1. Grade = VF. Sale price = $125.

The thin white line originating from the lower edge is a scratch, not a tear.

Long Bow #2. Grade = VF-. Sale price = $60.

Long Bow #8. Grade = FN-. Sale price = $30. SOLD – Thank You!

No copies are currently listed in the CGC census.

Wings Comics #124. Grade = FN-. Sale price = $90.

th_Indians-4a.jpg th_Indians-4b.jpg th_Indians-6a.jpg th_Indians-6b.jpg th_Indians-7a.jpg th_Indians-7b.jpg

th_LongBow-1a.jpg th_LongBow-1b.jpg th_LongBow-2a.jpg th_LongBow-2b.jpg th_LongBow-8a.jpg th_LongBow-8b.jpg

th_Wings-124a.jpg th_Wings-124b.jpg

email.gifPM zzutak

Firehair Comics #9. Grade = FN/VF. Sale price = $70.

Firehair Comics #10. Grade = VF. Sale price = $95.

Indians #2. Grade = VF/NM. Sale price = $285.

Indians #4. Grade = VF. Sale price = $120.

Indians #6. Grade = VF-. Sale price = $110.

Indians #7. Grade = VF. Sale price = $110.

Long Bow #8. Grade = FN-. Sale price = $30.

:takeit:

Miscreants, wankers, and folks currently on probation are not.

Miscreants and wankers :cloud9:

Practically everyone I consider a friend through these boards fits nicely into one group or the other. lol

Perhaps I'm being too selective? (shrug)lol

High grade Atlas War please. :takeit:

Word.

Get in line boys.

Move over children.

You all better be quicker than me. I have some cash for a change. :baiting:

Word.

Get in line boys.

Move over children.

You all better be quicker than me. I have some cash for change. :baiting:

Coins ain't gonna cut it.

Word.

Get in line boys.

Move over children.

My flying fingers can flick F5 faster than any of you! I'm a fuel injected suicide machine! I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!!!

Unfortunately, this is it for today. :cry:

I'll be making the next random draw early tomorrow morning and listing the next two sets of books around 8:00 AM (Pacific). Lord, for the sake of my inbox, please let the Atlas fantasy/horror/war grouping be one of those sets "randomly" drawn.

:wishluck:hmlol

Many thanks for your interest! (thumbs u

Word.

Get in line boys.

Move over children.

My flying fingers can flick F5 faster than any of you! I'm a fuel injected suicide machine! I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!!!

I think its safe to say that the death of Atlas War and Horror in the hobby has been greatly exaggerated.

Word.

Get in line boys.

Move over children.

It's gonna be war.......huh?

lol