• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how do you decide

29 posts in this topic

If you want to risk a book that you know is a 9.8 by having it get signed by someone ?..

considering having this signed by stan lee, the writer & artist but then after all that it would most likely not come back a 9.8 now would it ?

IMG_20110430_192645.jpg

hm(shrug)

Thousands even.

I would be interested in hearing about that. That would be 300 or so a day for a 4 day show assuming an approx. 80% 9.8 conversion rate. Joe P? Care to jump into this ridiculous thread? :wishluck:

whys it ridiculous ?...Its a honest question (shrug) between the cgc guys & writers & artists touching grabbing & signing books are bound to take some damage right? (shrug)

tumblr_l284fiiTPY1qbu4cco1_400.jpg

for what i pay for a raw 9.8, grading fees, autographfees & shipping ... yes just a little cause after all that it would be nice to get a 9.8 lol

I don't think this question is any more ridiculous than all the other ones you've asked in your various SS threads :thumbsup:

It's not like people just grab a loose comic book from their backpack, shove it in front of the creator, and give it to CGC who then throws it in a longbox with all the other signed books. Books are window-bagged to protect the corners & spines, put in a mylar sleeve to ensure the signature doesn't smudge, packed securely in bubble-wrap, and throughout the entire process handled carefully by both the CAW and CGC to ensure that they retain whatever grade they had prior to being signed.

For the vast majority of signings, the books that come back lower than a 9.8 after being signed weren't 9.8s to begin with.

whys it ridiculous ?...Its a honest question (shrug) between the cgc guys & writers & artists touching grabbing & signing books are bound to take some damage right? (shrug)

By that logic there would be no 9.8s. With proper shipping, storage, preparation and handling, there is very little risk that a true 9.8 will come back anything but a 9.8.

People are cracking 9.8s all the time. That is a big part of the risk. A raw 9.8 doesn't even have the crack out risk.

Out of all the 9.8s I've ever cracked, I think only 2 came back .2 less

You consistently provided me with old label cracking grade bumps. :cloud9:

Welcome back, BTW.

By that logic there would be no 9.8s. With proper shipping, storage, preparation and handling, there is very little risk that a true 9.8 will come back anything but a 9.8.

People are cracking 9.8s all the time. That is a big part of the risk. A raw 9.8 doesn't even have the crack out risk.

forget 9.8SS for a min just look at 9.9/10.0 books their touched be meny different people

wither it's a book from a con or lcs you have the printer, packers, dimond unpackers?, diamond order fillers/packers, through the mail/UPS, comic shop owners/con table person, then god know how meny people touched the book before you grabed it.......i have a 9.9 from aspen table from philly, and a 9.9-10.0 (i forget) that was the wizard philly VIP book.......wizard does not bag & board the books and normaly the books are just sitting in a bag in a pile

at least 7-9 i can think of not counting the # that look through the pile before you

So what you guys are saying for the most part is there is no real risk here & its all just in my head ? :) Ok you guys have talked me into it :) thanks! I shall send it into dwc for a stan signing & see what happens

Out of all the 9.8s I've ever cracked, I think only 2 came back .2 less

You consistently provided me with old label cracking grade bumps. :cloud9:

Welcome back, BTW.

It was always a pleasure dealing with you, buddy! Thanks!! :cloud9: