• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Comic Book Day

19 posts in this topic

I forgot all about it until I saw a news report from Ebensburg PA. I didnt even know there was a comic shop in Ebensburg :(. The news lady said she didnt see any kids there :(

Missed it myself as I am nights and couldn't make it to any of my LCS :(

I wish I could have taken my son as he would have loved it, although it's not like he doesn't attend the LCS with me enough already.

We actually had about a dozen costumed people wandering the downtown area waving at cars. The hallway outside the store was packed and the few minutes I was there I saw plenty of young families (and middle aged dweebs like yours truly) streaming in and out of the place.

It was quite heartening. Plus, you gotta love Stormtroopers wandering around your town waving like they're on a float. I'll snag some pictures next time (this month snuck up on me).

Greatly enjoyed reading the 3 title allotment of freebies from my LCS:

1. GL origin retold :golfclap: by Geoff Johns

2. Mouse Guard square shaped comic

3. return of Richie Rich as an adventurer (shrug)

Did not see any young kids, as they must have been lining up to watch Thor on this rainy day before Mother's Day. :luhv:

The LCS, closest to me, let everyone take 1 of each FCBD books. They also had a sale that for $20 you got to fill up a shopping bag full of books from their dollar bins. I ended up with about 250 that I could get in the bag.

Another LCS I went to had some artists and I was able to score a few more copies of the FCBD books there, plus a GL Hero Clix piece.

Picked up some decent books, so, overall it was good day.

My own LCS had all of the books out on Wednesday as he wanted all of his regulars to get the books they wanted. We could take one of everything we wanted. I didn't want to be a pig, but I did take quite a few of them.

Today I stopped in at the local New England Comics. You could get two books, two other books they offered for free and two Tick books. A guy was dressed as Blade, and the art director to the Tick was there. (The other New England Comic stores in the area had other artists) They also had a trivia contest and I guessed my question so I got some Alternate cover Iron Man book for guessing the year Kryptonite was introduced.

Overall the store was busy and I did see a lot of kids. Not a bad day.

I was able to talk my nine year old daughter into going this year. Well, talk is not the correct way to describe it. I bribed her lol

She and I made a deal that she'd get 5 books and read them all. On the way she tried to talk me down to one book. lol

I held my ground, but when we got to the LCS they were only allowing 2 of the FCB books per person, so I told her to pick the other three from any of the new books. Long story short, we ended up walking out of there with a stack of books and a receipt totaling $50 and not a thing for me. She already wants to go back to see if she can find anymore of the Oz books.

For a guy with no boys, there's hope yet :wishluck:

Overall it was a nice set-up for our LCS. There was a woman dressed as Storm, the place was packed and they were running 50% off all the back issues (they have limited stuff from the 90's though).

My LCS was packed with kids...maybe 30 or so when I walked in the door. They were giving away those 90's series Marvel action figures along with the free comics and I think I saw some free heroclix too. Kids were having a great time, us adults did too. lol

Went to two of the stores in the metro Atlanta area. picked up a couple of the GL issues and Tick for my wife. Got the GL hero clix and a couple of the rings from the B.N. promo that one of the stores had leftover.

One store had .50 cent modern boxes. Did pick up a beat copy of FF 49 for real cheap.

The LCS, closest to me, let everyone take 1 of each FCBD books. They also had a sale that for $20 you got to fill up a shopping bag full of books from their dollar bins. I ended up with about 250 that I could get in the bag.

Another LCS I went to had some artists and I was able to score a few more copies of the FCBD books there, plus a GL Hero Clix piece.

What kind of shopping bags do they have that hold 250 books?!?!?!

It was a pretty big bag and I could probably have gotten another 20 in there, if I stuffed it. I was really amazed on how many fit in there.

I stopped at two stores yesterday and came away with:

The Tick (very funny)

Misadventures of Adam West (Also funny)

Bongo Comics free for all

2000 AD

Atomic Robo and Friends

Green Lantern

The wife got:

Civil War Adventure

Worlds of Aspen

Baltimore Criminal Macabre.

The one store had back issues 30-50% off (depending on the box they were in) the other had 25% off back issues and had rows of dollar books. Both places had statues for 20% off. (finally got the Supergirl statue that I wanted)

Finally the 501 made an appearance

2011-05-07_14-08-50_405.jpg.

It was a pretty big bag and I could probably have gotten another 20 in there, if I stuffed it. I was really amazed on how many fit in there.

250? That's like a long box! I bet you had to hold the bottom of the bag the whole time and rung it up like that at the register.

The bag was plastic and it had a thin board in the bottom. Once it was almost full, I could only lift it an inch or two off the floor, in case the handles broke. Good thing I was parked close to the front door. The handles came off the bag about ten feet from my truck.

Here's a pic of the haul. 246 books in all.

FCBDhaul.jpg

I didn't know it beforehand, but Tony Harris was signing at my LCS. I picked up an Ex Machina page from him. He was a really great and funny guy to talk with. (Notice what he wrote on the tombstone at the bottom of the page. Ha!)

artwork-small.jpg

Lots of kids where we went in brooklyn. Sadly, it looked like many parents were content to get freebies and not buy something too, though the owner said he had a big day