• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man one-shots set

21 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Here is a thread to suggest titles/issues to be added to this set.

So far I have:

Amazing Spider-Man Skating on Thin Ice

Amazing Spider-Man Double Trouble

Amazing Spider-Man Chaos in Calgary

Amazing Spider-Man Deadball

Amazing Spider-Man Super Special 1

Spider-Man: Brand New Day

Adventures in Reading Starring Amazing Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man All Detergent Giveaway

Amazing Spider-Man Aim Toothpaste Giveaway

Amazing Fantasy 15 reprints

Amazing Spider-Man nn

Amazing Spider-Man 50 reprint

Amazing Spider-Man 129 reprint (Lion's Gate)

Amazing Spider-Man & Power pack

Amazing Spider-Man & The Hulk

Amazing Spider-Man & the Incredible Hulk

Amazing Spider-man and the New Mutants featuring Skids nn

Amazing Spider-Man Battles Ignorance

Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk & Spider-Woman

Amazing Spider-Man Christmas in Dallas

Amazing Spider-Man Danger in Dallas

Amazing Spider-Man, Fire-Star and Ice Man at the Dallas Ballet Nutcracker

Amazing Spider-Man Riot at Robotworld

Amazing Spider-Man, Storm & Powerman

Amazing Spider-Man Swing Shift

Amazing Spider-Man vs the Hulk

Amazing Spider-Man vs the Prodigy

Spidey & the Mini Marvels

Amazing Spider-Man Ashcan Edition

Amazing Spider-Man Collected Edition

Amazing Spider-Man Parallel Lives

Amazing Spider-Man: Carnage of Campus

Amazing Spider-Man: Hit and Run

Amazing Spider-Man: Soul of the Hunter

Amazing Spider-Man: The Goblin Strikes

Amazing Spider-Man: Under Siege

I don't think "Spidey and the Mini Marvels" should be included since it has nothing to do with the ASM title, or the regular Marvel Universe continuity at all. I think that issue and the other two should go in their own separate set like the one I requested in the Additions thread.

Deadly Foes of Spider-man

Marvel Milestone: ASM 1, 3, 129, 149

Marvel Milestone: Amazing Fantasy 15

Free Comic Book Day: ASM

There's got to be a couple of hundred more out there.

• Administrator
I don't think "Spidey and the Mini Marvels" should be included since it has nothing to do with the ASM title, or the regular Marvel Universe continuity at all. I think that issue and the other two should go in their own separate set like the one I requested in the Additions thread.

OK, but then how do you really feel about the foreign variaints? You have a Mexican ASM waiting for a slot in the regular ASM set, but I thought I was making you a new set? I found Spidey and the Mini Marvels listed under ASM in the promotional section of OSPG, but if you don't want it added and only want it in your special set, that's fine.

• Administrator
Deadly Foes of Spider-man

Marvel Milestone: ASM 1, 3, 129, 149

Marvel Milestone: Amazing Fantasy 15

Free Comic Book Day: ASM

There's got to be a couple of hundred more out there.

I agree, so I'm going to wait a little while before I even start the set as I'm sure there will be many more to be added and some strong feelings about a few issues to be addressed.... :foryou:

OK, but then how do you really feel about the foreign variaints? You have a Mexican ASM waiting for a slot in the regular ASM set, but I thought I was making you a new set? I found Spidey and the Mini Marvels listed under ASM in the promotional section of OSPG, but if you don't want it added and only want it in your special set, that's fine.

Gemma,

I realize now that my request for the foreign variants to be included in the ASM set wasn't appropriate since they aren't ASM. I also realize I've been hounding you to death about it as well as my other additions, and I apologize for that.

Theoretically, the Spidey issue could go in the ASM set. I also thought at the time that I requested it that a "Mini Marvels" set that incorporated the three or four issues that comprised the Mini Marvels universe wouldn't be out of line. I know you said that all the crossover series that I was requesting weren't going to be added for a while, and that's fine, but I don't think this is one of those special sets. If it is, like I said, I'm fine with it. These are only requests, I don't mean to make these a subject of annoyance.

I also want it to be known that I don't want any special treatment over other members as far as sets go. I realize that I have pestered you a lot about the sets, so I'll tone down the pestering and understand that no means no.

I honestly never meant to request anything out of the ordinary or inappropriate. :foryou:

Also, as for the Mexican ASM waiting in the regular set, don't worry about adding that one in. It was an experiment to see if it would take it, which it didn't. (thumbs u

• Administrator

I don't think the Mini-Marvels set or the ASM foreign variants are a bad idea, but we already have titles that appear in numerous sets, so I didn't see the reason for it not to be included here as well. As I said to cheetah, I'm going to let this discussion run its course before I make any set related to this thread.

I don't think the Mini-Marvels set or the ASM foreign variants are a bad idea, but we already have titles that appear in numerous sets, so I didn't see the reason for it not to be included here as well. As I said to cheetah, I'm going to let this discussion run its course before I make any set related to this thread.

Sounds good (thumbs u

Thanks Gemma!

That list is a good start from what I recall of the odd, older issues.

Please can we leave out the little Walmart reprint of #300, to me that isn't a comic book like the rest. I'd rather see a Marvel Treasury Edition be graded into a CGC case than those little things.

IMO, I wouldn't include the Amazing Spider-Man Super Special #1 on the list because it's not really a one shot, but the first in a mini series across the core titles at the time.

I would however also add Spider-Man Special Edition (Unicef book)

Also, there were those two newspaper one shots that were giveaways back in the 90s. I don't know their proper title.

That list is a good start from what I recall of the odd, older issues.

Please can we leave out the little Walmart reprint of #300, to me that isn't a comic book like the rest. I'd rather see a Marvel Treasury Edition be graded into a CGC case than those little things.

Does the interior have comic book art? If so, I think it qualifies as a one-shot as much as anything else. It was a comic published only once and it is the only issue in the title. It is still considered a comic book, even though it's a smaller size.

Also, IIRC, Treasuries were actually part of a series... hm I may be wrong.

They are I gather a complete reprint of #300. But as I said they are tiny, nothing like a comic book, just as the treasury sized comics are huge, nothing like a normal comic. I would prefer to keep comic collecting and sets to normal sized books, and not open it up to any random size somebody published something with SM in. I realize that in the past several various sized books have been made, that's fine, but in general nothing with SM in it is an odd size except for what I mentioned.

I own a signed copy of the Spectacular Spider-Man #1(#876 for reference). But I am not expecting CGC to start grading the treasury editions, so I can then put it in some registry set. The treasury editions were a long series, but none of them were related by a story line. They were all basically one shot books, or reprints of famous/popular issues. So in theory those issues that had SM in them could be requested to go in this set here. I don't want that to happen because of the size difference, not due to the fact CGC doesn't grade those.

But back to the #300 reprint, those are a waste of anyone's time, because Marvel made a million of the real #300. Why would anyone go hunt that little not really a comic, book, when almost all comic stores will have the actual #300 in stock? That little Walmart #300 thing is about as useful as Marvel Value Stamps.

I think the one-shots and mini-series set ought to be a place for most anything ASM related that wasn't the main series title. Right now, the ASM with variants set contains a number of reprints. I think they all ought to go in the one-shot/min-series set. Every graded book deserves a place in a set somewhere. The one-shot/mini-series set should be the catch-all for these odd-ball books. It's not like anyone is going to get every single issue of every single ASM mini-series and one-shot graded with CGC anyway. And if you are obsessed enough to actually do it, then you are probably going to be obsessed enough to collect the mini-comics, too.

And then they could all come out of the main title set.

Things like the ASM 129 reprints would be appropriate for the ons-shot set.

And, FWIW, there is also a mini-comic for ASM 50. I'm not sure if any have been graded.

They are I gather a complete reprint of #300. But as I said they are tiny, nothing like a comic book, just as the treasury sized comics are huge, nothing like a normal comic. I would prefer to keep comic collecting and sets to normal sized books, and not open it up to any random size somebody published something with SM in. I realize that in the past several various sized books have been made, that's fine, but in general nothing with SM in it is an odd size except for what I mentioned.

I own a signed copy of the Spectacular Spider-Man #1(#876 for reference). But I am not expecting CGC to start grading the treasury editions, so I can then put it in some registry set. The treasury editions were a long series, but none of them were related by a story line. They were all basically one shot books, or reprints of famous/popular issues. So in theory those issues that had SM in them could be requested to go in this set here. I don't want that to happen because of the size difference, not due to the fact CGC doesn't grade those.

But back to the #300 reprint, those are a waste of anyone's time, because Marvel made a million of the real #300. Why would anyone go hunt that little not really a comic, book, when almost all comic stores will have the actual #300 in stock? That little Walmart #300 thing is about as useful as Marvel Value Stamps.

They are in no way a waste of anyone's time. There ARE people who collect these, including myself. Just because and maybe some others think they're pointless, that doesn't change the fact that it is a one-shot comic book and there are people who want it in the one-shot set. How is it not as useful as any other comic? It's just a genre you don't like, and that's perfectly fine, but that in no way makes them pointless or useless.

To answer your comment about it vs. the regular 300, there is a huge difference in price. Why pay $100 for a #300 if you just want to read it? That's why people would buy it: for a cheap reader. That, or they are completionists like me.

I think the one-shots and mini-series set ought to be a place for most anything ASM related that wasn't the main series title. Right now, the ASM with variants set contains a number of reprints. I think they all ought to go in the one-shot/min-series set. Every graded book deserves a place in a set somewhere. The one-shot/mini-series set should be the catch-all for these odd-ball books. It's not like anyone is going to get every single issue of every single ASM mini-series and one-shot graded with CGC anyway. And if you are obsessed enough to actually do it, then you are probably going to be obsessed enough to collect the mini-comics, too.

And then they could all come out of the main title set.

Things like the ASM 129 reprints would be appropriate for the ons-shot set.

And, FWIW, there is also a mini-comic for ASM 50. I'm not sure if any have been graded.

That's the right point to make, pull the odd stuff out of the main sets, and put them in this one off set. Well said.