• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Predictions?

13 posts in this topic

For those of you who golf....

Whose going to win the Masters tomorrow?

I would love to see Freddie Couples win it again! thumbsup2.gif

If not him, then I pick Phil Mickelson, he is waaay over due!!

I like rooting for the underdog and Mikelson is all that and a bag of chips...and besides...I'm not a big fan of Freddy Couples...

BTW...Mikelson is a big favorite around these parts since he won the GHO... 893applaud-thumb.gif

It looks like it could be Phil to win...if he can just hold the lead! thumbsup2.gif

Mickelson will choke like the choking dog that he is. He is only "way overdue" because there is no other golfer with his sort of ability but also with his mental softness (at least not since Greg Norman's prime, and at least Norman won 2 British Opens and got beaten out on 2 other majors by unbelievable shots). Mickelson should have 4 or 5 majors by now. My prediction is that if he is leading after the first 9 holes on Sunday, there will be an epic collapse on the back 9.

Mickelson will choke like the choking dog that he is. He is only "way overdue" because there is no other golfer with his sort of ability but also with his mental softness (at least not since Greg Norman's prime, and at least Norman won 2 British Opens and got beaten out on 2 other majors by unbelievable shots). Mickelson should have 4 or 5 majors by now. My prediction is that if he is leading after the first 9 holes on Sunday, there will be an epic collapse on the back 9.

I dont think he will choke (yes, I am stepping out on a limb here)...but I had this feeling before the tournament began that he would win. He has been trying to tone down his swing and cutting back on the risk taking which have both been his greatest downfalls. The man has 22 titles (including one this year) and has been in the top 10 in all but one of the tournaments he entered this year, so he knows how to get the job done. We will see if he does tomorrow....

My biggest surprise is Woods. I cant believe he is doing this badly. I know that he got rid of Butch Harmon (his usual coach, which was a mistake) but to go downhill this much this quick is not like him. I doubt he'll be able to come back from so many strokes down at this Masters, but I wonder if he'll turn this season around and maybe win a major (unlike last year)?

I dont think he will choke (yes, I am stepping out on a limb here)...but I had this feeling before the tournament began that he would win. He has been trying to tone down his swing and cutting back on the risk taking which have both been his greatest downfalls. The man has 22 titles (including one this year) and has been in the top 10 in all but one of the tournaments he entered this year, so he knows how to get the job done. We will see if he does tomorrow....

My biggest surprise is Woods. I cant believe he is doing this badly. I know that he got rid of Butch Harmon (his usual coach, which was a mistake) but to go downhill this much this quick is not like him. I doubt he'll be able to come back from so many strokes down at this Masters, but I wonder if he'll turn this season around and maybe win a major (unlike last year)?

I'm hoping that Mickelson won't choke either, just so the press will stop obsessing over his lack of a major. Don't get me wrong, the guy is unbelievably talented, and has every shot in the book. But I've always labeled him, Davis Love and Freddie Couples as amazing talents who are simply too "normal" or "balanced" to have the kind of all-consuming desire-bordering-on-obsession to win that you need to win multiple majors. This is why they have only 2 majors (so far) between the three of them. Each has got so much talent that it is inevitable that they'll win lots of regular tournaments, and probably at least 1 major each.

But... Phil now has had a chance to sleep on the fact that he is the leader, and watching his 4th round will be like watching a carwreck in slow motion. My picks, which means I'm probably dooming the poor guys, are Paul Casey or Ernie Els (who's in his favorite position, sneaking in under the radar).

As for Tiger, his career is eerily paralleling Nicklaus'. Nicklaus also won everything in sight his first few years, and then hit a long lull before he won his next major. Who knows why? Some columnists I've read have said that Tiger is simply becoming a more normal guy (e.g., getting engaged) and losing some of the edge that he had in his first few years. He'll be back, but it's definitely not going to start with the Masters, he's too far out of it. And I don't know if he's going to win a major this year, he's got some serious problems in his game, as you point out. He could definitely use a "Tiger-friendly" course like Pebble Beach or St Andrews to get his majors aspirations back on track.

I'm hoping that Mickelson won't choke either, just so the press will stop obsessing over his lack of a major. Don't get me wrong, the guy is unbelievably talented, and has every shot in the book. But I've always labeled him, Davis Love and Freddie Couples as amazing talents who are simply too "normal" or "balanced" to have the kind of all-consuming desire-bordering-on-obsession to win that you need to win multiple majors. This is why they have only 2 majors (so far) between the three of them. Each has got so much talent that it is inevitable that they'll win lots of regular tournaments, and probably at least 1 major each.

I never thought of it that way! It does make sense that you have to be VERY single minded (not to mention VERY talented) to win a number of majors. Nicklaus, Woods...Palmer even had that singular desire to win everything in sight. Whereas Couples, Love, Mickelson had great desire, but not to the length that the other legends had it. I guess it takes tunnel vision to the extreme to win a ton of tournaments and many majors!

Mickelson..... acclaim.gif

Damn!! Knew I shouldve put money on it!!!! 893frustrated.gif

Mickelson..... acclaim.gif

Damn!! Knew I shouldve put money on it!!!! 893frustrated.gif

Happy to have been proven wrong! Mickelson really came through in the clutch, although I was almost right with my prediction of Els. Mickelson should give me some of his prize money, it's undoubtedly my public prediction that he would choke and lose that caused him to win with a pressure packed putt. tongue.gif

So, now who is the best golfer never to have won a major? Monty? With Furyk having won last year, I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. Sergio Garcia is too young for that label to be attached to him just yet.

So, now who is the best golfer never to have won a major? Monty? With Furyk having won last year, I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. Sergio Garcia is too young for that label to be attached to him just yet.

I would say Montgomery is the one. Unlike Mickelson, who I had faith would eventually one at least one, I dont think Monty will. He is to far past his prime and I dont believe he has the mental game anymore. It is too bad, I always loved his smooth swing! thumbsup2.gif

I would say Montgomery is the one. Unlike Mickelson, who I had faith would eventually one at least one, I dont think Monty will. He is to far past his prime and I dont believe he has the mental game anymore. It is too bad, I always loved his smooth swing! thumbsup2.gif

Here's an article I just found on this very topic. And bonus points to the writer for agreeing with me about Sergio.