• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would Captain Tripps' collection be more impressive if he didn't use pedigrees?

51 posts in this topic

Human,

The Circle 8s is a collection of appx 80,000 books found by dealer Greg Bulls. A lot of the books were multiple copies of Atlas implosion era (Strange Stories of Suspense, Adventure into Mystery, Mystics, etc, etc.) of 1956-58. Multiple, multiple copies with many in very high grade.

There's also a bunch of Siver Age Circle 8s. I've owned a few (some Thors in the 130s I think) and there were some other titles. Other than that, I have no info.

As for Ohio, I was offerred the Ohio copy of AF 15 6 or so years ago (its now an 8.5 and I believe Metropolis had it for sale recently). Also, the Avengers 4 9.6 on Comiclink is from the Ohio collection (nice book, as I've seen it up close). I don't know much more about the collection after that.

Lou,

Excellent post. The reasons you state are all invariably true for one SA collector or another. Although GA books fascinate me (especially ultra high grade Mile Highs), I was never into them growing up & collecting as a kid and never got into them later on.

But I've got to admit, it would be awesome to have a run of Batmans or Detectives or Action Comics, etc. in super high grade from the Church collection. I can see that making my Pacific Coast runs seem pale in comparison! Believe me, if I could go back in time & have a shot at purchasing the Mile High runs when they first came out, I would do it. It's a piece of history that can't be denied.

Batman is much better since he's mortal but the GA books are really campy and goofy.

That's not really true. The earliest Batman stories aren't "campy and goofy." I mean, anyone who spends as much time as he did KILLING people really doesn't have all that much time for fun and games.

The goofy stuff didn't come into play until the 50s.

The Circle 8s is a collection of appx 80,000 books found by dealer Greg Bulls. A lot of the books were multiple copies of Atlas implosion era (Strange Stories of Suspense, Adventure into Mystery, Mystics, etc, etc.) of 1956-58. Multiple, multiple copies with many in very high grade.

Thanks for this info.

I collect Atlas books and have about 20 Circle 8 books (some CGC'd, some not). While you say the collection was approximately 80,000 books, and I have clearly seen a few Circle 8 copies of the same issue, there really aren't "multiple, multiple copies of these CGC'd. In most case there are no more than 3-4 CGC'd copies in 8.0 or above of any particular issue. And obviously, not all of these are Circle 8, as some could be White Mountain, Bethlehem, or even non-Pedigrees.

So two questions:

1) What year was this pedigree found?

2) How many copies of each issue do you think there are (5,10,50, etc.)

It just seems that if there were 50 copies in high-grade, a lot more than 3-4 would be CGC'd at this point.

And keep talking about Pedigrees!!!!

Thanks for this info.

I collect Atlas books and have about 20 Circle 8 books (some CGC'd, some not). While you say the collection was approximately 80,000 books, and I have clearly seen a few Circle 8 copies of the same issue, there really aren't "multiple, multiple copies of these CGC'd. In most case there are no more than 3-4 CGC'd copies in 8.0 or above of any particular issue. And obviously, not all of these are Circle 8, as some could be White Mountain, Bethlehem, or even non-Pedigrees.

So two questions:

1) What year was this pedigree found?

2) How many copies of each issue do you think there are (5,10,50, etc.)

It just seems that if there were 50 copies in high-grade, a lot more than 3-4 would be CGC'd at this point.

And keep talking about Pedigrees!!!!

Here is a Circle 8 COA that may help answer some questions.

thumbsup2.gif

Lantern, great info.

I actually own eleven Circle 8 books, yet None have a price through the circle. Several are CGC'd and the rest came from PCE so I'm pretty sure they are all Circle 8's.

For Atlas collectors, it's a really good pedigree and usually doesn't sell for the premiums that White Mountain or Bethlehem's sell for. Yet, the quality is just as nice in many cases.

I do not recall when the collection was found exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was in the early 90's. I remember reading a synopsis/semi-certificate about the finding of the collection in the back of one of the Atlas implosion books I had bought. I bought a bunch from Marnin Rosenberg in 1996 and then a bunch more from Joe Vereneault in appx 1999/2000. I do not know how many of each issue existed, but I'm sure it was at least 5-10 copies of each (again, this is only on the Atlas implosion era books).

I never had any CGC'd, but most were 8.5 or better, with a bunch of 9.2s and a few 9.4s or even 9.6. Just because there aren't that many on the pop report doesn't mean a bunch of each issue doesn't exist (I'm sure these books are sitting raw in collections). I had 3-4 copies of some issues!!

I sold all of mine before having them graded a few years ago. Great books, book I was getting out of pre-hero Atlas & other hooror books.

While you say the collection was approximately 80,000 books, and I have clearly seen a few Circle 8 copies of the same issue, there really aren't "multiple, multiple copies of these CGC'd. In most case there are no more than 3-4 CGC'd copies in 8.0 or above of any particular issue. And obviously, not all of these are Circle 8, as some could be White Mountain, Bethlehem, or even non-Pedigrees.

There were a bunch of Turok #3s in the Circle 8 pedigree. Of the 5 issues that have been graded as 9.4 by CGC, at least 3 or 4 are Circle 8. Some of the lower CGC'd copies (9.0 & 8.5) may be from that pedigree too.