• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where can I buy GA reprints?

19 posts in this topic

Most Timely's have not been reprinted anywhere. However some stories were reprinted in the Fantasy Masterpieces title Marvel put out in 1966. Since those books are also old now when you read the stories it's almost like reading a real thing.

Timely

The problem with the Fantasy Masterpieces reprints is that the reproduction is shoddy. It was years before I realized that Joe Simon didn't ink Kirby's pencils with a paint brush. Still they do smell like old comics, have cool covers, and can be bought in fairly high grade for about 20 - 25% of guide.

I recommend the TPB collections of Captain America:The Classic Years which reprint Cap 1-10,

The list price is $25 each, but I'm sure you can find them for less. Most Timely stories are pretty weak, but there are alot of cool splashes. If you really want to read a variety of Timely reprints, I suggest picking up the TPBs of Marvel's Classics of the Golden Age (The actual title escapes me, but it is something like that). There are also 1999 reprints of All-Winners 19, Human Torch 5, and some random Marvel Mystery stories that are often sold as a set on Ebay. Other Timely reprints include the Hardback Marvel Comics 1 reproduction, and an early 90s reprint of Young Men 25 with an exact repro of the original cover including the 10 cent price (technically an Atlas reprint).

Although the interiors are a somewhat muddy B/W the Alan Light flashback reprints have faithful cover reproductions and are closer in size to the GA originals than more recent reprints. Until you can afford the originals, they are a cool substitute, especially the classic cover issues - All-Select 1, Young Allies 1 and USA 1.

Timely Torch vs Subby battle story also reprinted in Marv Super-heroes #1 1966. The coloring for the cover & inside of the Marvel Comics 1 hardcover is terrible compared to the original which had a delicate shade of craft-tint/wash applied to the underwater scenes by Everett. This same technique was applied to Sub-mariner in 893applaud-thumb.gifMarvel Mystery #2.

Weren't many GA stories reprinted in the SA/BA? confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's two I've got...

Wanted: the World's Most Dangerous Villians #4 reprints All-American #61

Super Team Family #4 reprints All Star #33

[both Solomon Grundy stories. Now if I could just find reprints of the two Comic Cavalcade issues which feature GA Grundy.]

I know the origin of the GA Sandman and Starman are reprinted in Justice League #94. Also, Shazam #8 has several GA reprints.

DC did a better job of reprinting GA stuff than Marvel, and many DC reprints can be found in the 100-pagers and scattered throughout other titles (comics.org is pretty good at listing these).

I bought a copy of Marvel Super-Heroes #20 and basically got a complete Young Men #24 reprint, a story from SUB-MARINER COMICS #40, and a new Doom story. I have a couple of other reader-grade copies of MSH (19 - stories from Young Men #26 - and 12 - with a scattering of stories). Let me know if you'd want them.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

DC did a better job of reprinting GA stuff than Marvel, and many DC reprints can be found in the 100-pagers and scattered throughout other titles (comics.org is pretty good at listing these).

I wish DC had NOT done such a good job of reprinting - what with people tearing off the reprint cover and trying to pass it off as original on ebay.

Does anyone else want to see more GA reprints like the recent Marvel Milestones issue (which reprinted of FF Annual #2 (origin of Doom), GA Sub-mariner #1, and GA Captain America #1)?

I would be nice if DC would do reprint comics of classics like the first few All-American Green Lantern stories or More Fun Spectre stories. New readers could read the original stories without having to buy expensive Archive editions.

Weren't many GA stories reprinted in the SA/BA? confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's two I've got...

Wanted: the World's Most Dangerous Villians #4 reprints All-American #61

Super Team Family #4 reprints All Star #33

[both Solomon Grundy stories. Now if I could just find reprints of the two Comic Cavalcade issues which feature GA Grundy.]

I know the origin of the GA Sandman and Starman are reprinted in Justice League #94. Also, Shazam #8 has several GA reprints.

The Cavalcade stories containing the other 2 GA Grundy appearances have never been reprinted. That's what turned me in to a collector of the Comic Cavalcade series. thumbsup2.gif

I hope everybody is aware of the Millenium edition reprints DC put out 5 years ago? Besides the obvious choices of Action #1, Detective #27, All-Star #3, there were some unexpected gems like Adventure #61, More Fun #73 and #101, Detective #1 and #38, All-Star #8.

Finally, a then-comprehensive list of Golden Age reprints of JSA characters was published as the text pages to the America vs. the Justice Society mini-series of the 1980s. It might be worth your time to pick up a set of readers from eBay or the LCS.

I would be nice if DC would do reprint comics of classics like the first few All-American Green Lantern stories or More Fun Spectre stories. New readers could read the original stories without having to buy expensive Archive editions.

These are being collected....I've got Volume One of the Spectre Archives...or is that what you meant, and you're saying they should do more titles?

One can find many of the Archives on ebay for $20-$30 on ebay, even when they're brand new - not too bad for 200+ pages of comics. However I really enjoyed reading random GA stories when DC was reprinting alot of them in the early 70s - sometimes the Archive editions are too much of the same thing. I love the Jack Cole Plasticman stories, but each time I pick up an Archive edition it takes me a couple of months to get through it, as the stories do have a repetative quality.

I think DC would have been better off starting the Sandman Archives with the S&K stories - likewise I won't be interested in the GA Hawkman Archives until they get to the Kubert era. DC should also take advantage of the fan interest in Alex Toth - and do a GA compendium of his work from assorted titles - I'd buy it for sure.

As for the Timely output - sorry to say that once you get past the S&K stuff - most if pretty much sucks - Timelys are all about the cover. Though I would pick up a volume of Everett's Subby stories from the Atlas revival - his art was at it's peak then.

Other publishers are often worse - I usually make an effort to at least skim any GA book I buy - but most Nedors aren't worth the effort - they don't even have cool splash pages. Towards the late 40s some good art does show up - but not much. MLJs have great splashes - but the stories are usually pretty lame as well.

These are being collected....I've got Volume One of the Spectre Archives...or is that what you meant, and you're saying they should do more titles?

I was thinking more along the lines of a new comic series that reprints classic DC stories similar to the recent Marvel Milestone series.

I'll have to pick up a second-hand copy of Spectre Archives. wink.gif

Ahhh...gotcha. Yeah, the only cheapo version DC seems to be doing is the Batman Chronicles, and so far they've only put out volume one. Who knows if it'll be a format that lasts. I kinda doubt it.

What does Batman Chronicles reprint?

It reprints the GA bat-stories in chronological order, so it flips between Detective and Batman inan attempt to catalog all the bat-tales in the order in which they were originally published. An ambitious project, but who knows if it will last. So far, the first volume reprinted several of the 'tec tales and Batman #1. Basically, it's all stuff that's available in the archive editions, but this is a cheaper format, as it's TPB.

One can find many of the Archives on ebay for $20-$30 on ebay, even when they're brand new - not too bad for 200+ pages of comics. However I really enjoyed reading random GA stories when DC was reprinting alot of them in the early 70s - sometimes the Archive editions are too much of the same thing. I love the Jack Cole Plasticman stories, but each time I pick up an Archive edition it takes me a couple of months to get through it, as the stories do have a repetative quality.

Agreed. I've got a half read Plasticman archive on my bed stand right now that has been sitting there for months. I pick it up every few weeks, read a story and enjoy it, but if I start reading more then a couple in a row they lose their appeal. Pretty much the same with most of Archive material. Even something I really like, like early Superman has to be done in small amounts.

What I really liked enjoyed were the HCs DC put out in the late 80s before they went to the Archive series. Those were "Best of" books. Best of Superman, Best of Golden Age, Best of 50s, Best Team Ups, etc. They did a good job putting a nice variety of material in those books, and, for the most part, really picking the best material.