• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just watched "comic book villains"

24 posts in this topic

finally saw the movie comic book villains

it wasnt bad but it wasnt that great! the actor who plays the comic shop owner, mckilacutty, prob puts in the best performance- he palyed the stereotypical comic collector /shop owner pretty well

a ton of comic fadom references- white mountain,mohawk valley, winnipeg collections, pedigrees, mile high, the big table in the left in the dealers room @ the san diego con- where all the major players chill

quite entertaining overall, id give it 6 out of 10, woth watching if yourea comic collector for sure!

talk about a can of worms. This movie has been discussed many times here. Most of the people think it wasn't that good. For a low budget movie purely about comic book collectors it was entertaining.

yeah

"are u trying to patronise me??!!! do u think i am a fool??!!! NO!! sensation comics 1 is not the 1st appearance of wonderwoman.....it is allstar comics #8...." BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM...how many times did he shoot carter?

those poor comics drowned in the lake

yes, they did, u got a good memory povertyrow- u should win a no prize fro that one

i can just imagine dealers plotting/hatching/conniving/backstabbign each other over a collection like this

as bob storms says- when a new collection comes up- the sharks start circling and its like a feeding frenzy

I saw the film about a week ago. I wasn't expecting much, and as a result I came away marginally impressed as the acting/cinematography were certainly competent.

I enjoyed the film for the references etc. (and yes there were one or two errors) but it became very dark and contrived very quickly, and as (most of) the characters descended into caricature you felt that either Robinson had wanted to produce a cautionary little meller about greed and desperation or that he had lost interest.

The -script was very good for the most part. I just felt that any non-comic collector would think, after seeing this film, that all comic retailers are self-loathing sociopaths who contemptuously pour scorn on their customers and each other.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I just felt that any non-comic collector would think, after seeing this film, that all comic retailers are self-loathing sociopaths who contemptuously pour scorn on their customers and each other.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

tongue.gifcrazy.gif Just have them come visit these boards sometimes, and it'll confirm that it's all peace love and understanding.

The -script was very good for the most part. I just felt that any non-comic collector would think, after seeing this film, that all comic retailers are self-loathing sociopaths who contemptuously pour scorn on their customers and each other.

Yes, I also thought it was very realistic in terms of how the comic book dealers were portrayed. thumbsup2.gif

I just felt that any non-comic collector would think, after seeing this film, that all comic retailers are self-loathing sociopaths who contemptuously pour scorn on their customers and each other.

If comic book dealers are like coin dealers that describes them well. CHRIS

Even though the production value isn't the greatest. You should also just check out "The Specials" with Rob Lowe. It's about a group of superheros who are struggling to make it the Super-hero world. Some of the dialogue is pretty funny.

It has Thomas Hayden-Church, Jamie Kennedy, and Rob Lowe.

The Specials

I always thought that they were copies of Spawn 1, X-men 1, Spider-man 1, X-Force 1, New Universe and Valiant books with colorphoto copy wraps of the Golden Age covers stapled onto them...I guess one can slo mo the scene either in the bedroom where the books are falling on the wife or when the truck hits the lake and the books a re flying and pages are spread out?

Always wondered if they actually destroyed all those comics at the end of this movie, or if they were props.

If they had, the film's budget would have been 10x higher... about $10 million instead of $1 million wink.gif

As I've said before, it's nominally entertaining if you're a comic book fanatic, but otherwise pretty dreary and formulaic. At the same time, if you're a big comic book fan/collector, you probably look at the film's characterizations and think "that's even worse than reality!" (with some *cough Chuck cough* exceptions)

So to the extent that the movie works and appeals to comic book people, it also backfires by portraying them (us) in an exaggeratedly negative light.

Saw it last night. I'd give it an 8.0.

The look of astonishment/rapture that the comic book guy had when he first walked in to the room with the collection was dead on. I could only imagine how I would look if I opened a door onto a scene like that. shocked.gif

The look of astonishment/rapture that the comic book guy had when he first walked in to the room with the collection was dead on. I could only imagine how I would look if I opened a door onto a scene like that. shocked.gif

See, I felt this was one of the weaker aspects of the film. That room wasn't filled enough -- I thought the guy was supposed to have been collecting for fifty years or so ...? Edgar Church bought books for only half that amount of time and his entire basement was crammed with the things! I fully expected the ending to involve the kid finding the rest of the collection stacked floor to ceiling somewhere else in the house. Instead we got a cheesy deus ex machina ... but I digress.

Alan

See, I felt this was one of the weaker aspects of the film. That room wasn't filled enough -- I thought the guy was supposed to have been collecting for fifty years or so ...? Edgar Church bought books for only half that amount of time and his entire basement was crammed with the things! I fully expected the ending to involve the kid finding the rest of the collection stacked floor to ceiling somewhere else in the house. Instead we got a cheesy deus ex machina ... but I digress.

Alan

But he also collected baseball cards, not just comics.....and that closet was full of cards, id say 50 yrs worth. So dividing your life between comics and cards, that small bedroom was quite sufficent.