• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just watched "comic book villains"

24 posts in this topic

The look of astonishment/rapture that the comic book guy had when he first walked in to the room with the collection was dead on. I could only imagine how I would look if I opened a door onto a scene like that. shocked.gif

See, I felt this was one of the weaker aspects of the film. That room wasn't filled enough -- I thought the guy was supposed to have been collecting for fifty years or so ...? Edgar Church bought books for only half that amount of time and his entire basement was crammed with the things! I fully expected the ending to involve the kid finding the rest of the collection stacked floor to ceiling somewhere else in the house. Instead we got a cheesy deus ex machina ... but I digress.

Alan

But he also collected baseball cards, not just comics.....and that closet was full of cards, id say 50 yrs worth. So dividing your life between comics and cards, that small bedroom was quite sufficent.

Wasn't there a line about him having bought almost every comic during his collecting time, or am I mis-remembering? There had to be some reason I was assuming there would be a helluva lot more books present .... confused-smiley-013.gif

The look of astonishment/rapture that the comic book guy had when he first walked in to the room with the collection was dead on. I could only imagine how I would look if I opened a door onto a scene like that. shocked.gif

See, I felt this was one of the weaker aspects of the film. That room wasn't filled enough -- I thought the guy was supposed to have been collecting for fifty years or so ...? Edgar Church bought books for only half that amount of time and his entire basement was crammed with the things! I fully expected the ending to involve the kid finding the rest of the collection stacked floor to ceiling somewhere else in the house. Instead we got a cheesy deus ex machina ... but I digress.

Alan

But he also collected baseball cards, not just comics.....and that closet was full of cards, id say 50 yrs worth. So dividing your life between comics and cards, that small bedroom was quite sufficent.

Wasn't there a line about him having bought almost every comic during his collecting time, or am I mis-remembering? There had to be some reason I was assuming there would be a helluva lot more books present .... confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't remember specifically a line about him having almost every comic. I think I recall that he was supposed to be 65 when he died, so the earliest he would have started collecting would have been 1947 or so (and I think I recall his mother saying that he took up collecting later - implying he bought some of them as back issues). Say he bought 25 books a month for 20 years. That's only about 6,000 books. There were still 500 to a 1,000 books left in the house when he drove off in the truck. It looked to me like he had maybe 5,000 books in the truck. (As a plot device they needed to get most of the collection in a single pickup truck load).

Does anyone recall the number of books in the Mile High collection?