• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Under Appreciated Spotlight : Booster Gold (Vol. 1)

6 posts in this topic

Thought I’d take the opportunity to spotlight a Copper Age title that seems relatively under appreciated.

The 25th century super-hero Booster Gold was created by Dan Jurgens and made his comic book debut in Booster Gold #1 (February 1986) the first series only lasted 25 issues but the titular hero became a regularly appearing character in the DC Universe and became a member of the Justice League of America.

The plus points for this title are:

• Booster Gold was the first significant new character introduced into DC Universe continuity after the reboot of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

• Continued interest in the character as demonstrated by the current ongoing Booster Gold series.

• Booster Gold has been a significant presence in the DC universe since his debut and has made several appearances in other media projects such as the “Brave & The Bold” cartoon and more recently “Smallville”.

• IGN ranked Booster Gold as the 59th greatest comic book hero.

• As it only lasted 25 issues it shouldn’t be too difficult to put a run together

Again this is just my opinion so please feel free to shoot me down (in a nice way). Better yet if you agree with me why don’t you share the love?

Cheers

PCC

I always enjoyed the Booster Gold character when he was involved in the early Giffen books of Justice League.

What was his 1st appearance? Justice League #3 or Booster Gold #1?

I always enjoyed the Booster Gold character when he was involved in the early Giffen books of Justice League.

What was his 1st appearance? Justice League #3 or Booster Gold #1?

I'm 99% sure it was Booster Gold #1...just don't quote me on it :)

It should be Booster Gold #1; Justice League (as did Legends) both came after BG#1. I like the character, and agree he's under-appreciated.

I liked the concept for the book, but Booster Gold was just such an unlikable character I couldn't get into the series. Also, wasn't a big fan of Jurgens art work, as it seemed very generic.

I did drop the book after 4 or 5 issues so it could have improved, but nothing in the JLA series led me to believe it.

It should be Booster Gold #1; Justice League (as did Legends) both came after BG#1. I like the character, and agree he's under-appreciated.

Thanks for the clarification. And Booster did get better as he went along. It just took a little more than readers would allow.