• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many of you bring bags and boards

13 posts in this topic

My LCS loses $3-$10 worth of sales to me every week due to dinged up books on the rack (as I am not interested in setting up a file). While I don't think the average reader/buyer/collector is out there looking for 9.8s off the rack, I do think a lot of folks don't want to pay full price for a comic that has been bent in half and also take a pass. It adds up. And then the leftovers wind up in the dollar or less box where they sell with varying degrees of success, though sometimes not unil they're put in the "grab bag" of 25 cent comics.

Does he lose enough to justify the time/expense of bagging and boarding everything up on the racks? I don't know (he gives a bag/board free when you buy a comic off the rack anyway, so it's more time than anything else).

I dunno, maybe he has it figured out and it just isn't worth the bother to make another $50-$100 in sales a week, but if nothing else it would make it easier to move some of this stuff as dollar box books if kept in nice shape.

I have brought bags/boards to shows to avoid unbagged/boarded books getting damaged in transit, though I usually forget.

It's ashame how mutilated most of the books are on the racks. But alot of the damage is done when Diamond ships them. I have been at my LCS many times when hes unboxing the stuff and it amazes me anything survives in high grade. The books are just put in boxes in stacks of two side by side and then two boxes go into one larger box. No padding, bubble wrap, nothing.

I have also been there many times where people come in, grab a book or two, read the whole thing and leave without a purchase. The owner says he just let's it slide and it's not worth making a stink about. (shrug)

DR.X

My LCS gives me boards when I buy each week. I bring mylars and fullbacks along with regular modern bags and boards with me to every con I go to. Just in case. lol

I also bring bags, boards, and cardboard for sandwiching. There's just too many inconsiderate jerks at con's that will roll right over you to get to a dollar box.

DR.X

My LCS gives me boards when I buy each week. I bring mylars and fullbacks along with regular modern bags and boards with me to every con I go to. Just in case. lol

I also bring bags, boards, and cardboard for sandwiching. There's just too many inconsiderate jerks at con's that will roll right over you to get to a dollar box.

DR.X

lol Its so true...nothing like being paranoid about someone bumping into your backpack full of NM books. Plus, I'm 6'5", 265, so I take up lots of space without the backpack. lol

I don't go to my LCS, but I have started bringing them to conventions since I got tired of dinging up new comics before I could get them home.

An ebay seller used these comic holders to ship comics to me. I have used them now twice at conventions and love them. They really safe guard unboarded comics well too. I normally hit up the cheap boxes and they never seem to be boarded.

I am not sure if Hot Flips carries them or not: http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/comic-accessories/comic-book-stor-folio-1_5-inch.htm

To anwser the OP question, I purchase single board and bags at the LCS and bag them myself before they are rang up.

For shops that don't have boards and bags for single purchase, I completely look the other way while they are handling the books. I had a big greasy thumbprint on the black part of my Batman 700. So if I am getting something just for the cover now I avoid those shops.