• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metro sells Fantastic Four #1 9.4 for $300k

88 posts in this topic

High grade Marvel keys are going through the roof, tons of beautiful new pedigree books are hitting the market at record prices, great movies around the corner. Its a good time to be a comic collector. :cloud9:

I'd have to respectfully disagree.

Unless you bought your uber keys 2 years ago, you doing well. But I've a bunch of mid tier SA books in good grade that haven't moved in price for over 5 years.

Don't even ask me about the BA 9.4-9.6's doh!

I don't know if this one traded privately since the 2002 sale....but it's a stunner (based on the image). I'm not sure if I might not prefer this copy. Sorry about the small scan. Old label OW/W sometimes translates to new label white. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0005-4.jpg

I've always wondered if this was/is the Curator copy. It was supposedly sold separately than the #2-100. It has to be out there somewhere.

Interesting serial number on the 9.6

I think it may have been the first book they ever slabbed.

(thumbs u

One of the earlier ones, but not the first one.

(thumbs u

Nope.

(thumbs u

Nope.

8.5 of this, IIRC

1-1.jpg

Maybe its the scan but for me, the 9.4 is the nicer book no question.

The 9.6 looks browned out like 99.9% of every FF1 i have ever seen. That 9.4 is INSANE and looks right off the rack fresh (thumbs u

Really can't tell from scans at all...the 9.4 scan could be overly-bright.

I don't know if this one traded privately since the 2002 sale....but it's a stunner (based on the image). I'm not sure if I might not prefer this copy. Sorry about the small scan. Old label OW/W sometimes translates to new label white. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0005-4.jpg

I've always wondered if this was/is the Curator copy. It was supposedly sold separately than the #2-100. It has to be out there somewhere.

I've wondered the exact same thing--my guess is that it is the Curator copy. But it is just an educated guess because it's as nice as Curators usually are and there aren't many (or any) other copies that are nice enough to be the Curator copy, I have no way to figure that out for sure.

Do we know if the early SA Curators are as nice as the later SA Curators? As we well know (Twin Cities being the latest example), just because a pedigree has lots of fabulous books from 1963 or 1964 onwards is no guarantee that the earlier books are equally nice.

Does anyone know what`s the earliest known Curator, and what grade is it?

Do we know if the early SA Curators are as nice as the later SA Curators? As we well know (Twin Cities being the latest example), just because a pedigree has lots of fabulous books from 1963 or 1964 onwards is no guarantee that the earlier books are equally nice.

I'm definitely no expert on the curator copies but isn't there a 9.0 AF15 curator copy?

The Curators went back into the 1950s and included Marvel and DC, but none of those were slabbed as a part of the pedigree. They all got sold off before John Hauser met the original owner, who in turn sold them to Brulato who got the copies he purchased pedigreed. The original owner was a Golden Age back issue collector at this same time and had an extensive back-purchased GA collection, and I *THINK* he mostly bought Marvels and stacked them in his museum's vault for the same reason Overstreet at the time did--he knew they were popular and would be fun and/or profitable to own. I could be wrong about his intent in purchasing Marvels, I forget, but I do know he stacked them all in the vault in "bricks" of five issues crammed carefully and flatly into bags and didn't read them.

I know this because I interviewed Hauser back in 2003/2004 about the pedigree and asked extensive pre-prepared questions as well as ad hoc ones based upon his commentary. I was going to write a series of articles for CBG about Silver Age pedigrees, but I bowed on it after talking with Matt Nelson who indicated he would be writing a book about Silver Age pedigrees after he finished his first Golden Age edition.

The Curators went back into the 1950s and included Marvel and DC, but none of those were slabbed as a part of the pedigree. They all got sold off before John Hauser met the original owner, who in turn sold them to Brulato who got the copies he purchased pedigreed. The original owner was a Golden Age back issue collector at this same time and had an extensive back-purchased GA collection, and I *THINK* he mostly bought Marvels and stacked them in his museum's vault for the same reason Overstreet at the time did--he knew they were popular and would be fun and/or profitable to own. I could be wrong about his intent in purchasing Marvels, I forget, but I do know he stacked them all in the vault in "bricks" of five issues crammed carefully and flatly into bags and didn't read them.

I know this because I interviewed Hauser back in 2003/2004 about the pedigree and asked extensive pre-prepared questions as well as ad hoc ones based upon his commentary. I was going to write a series of articles for CBG about Silver Age pedigrees, but I bowed on it after talking with Matt Nelson who indicated he would be writing a book about Silver Age pedigrees after he finished his first Golden Age edition.

I know the general history of the collection, but my point is that unless we have some clear examples of some earlier SA Marvels that have been positively identified as Curators, and are in the same kinds of ultra-high grades as the well-known later copies, then it`s really just extrapolation that they`re as nice.

What I`m really looking for are books from the ever-elusive 1961-1962 time frame that have been positively ID`d as Curators and what their grades are.

If they should happen to be uber-keys (FF 1, AF 15, Hulk 1, JIM 83, TTA 27), all the better!

What I`m really looking for are books from the ever-elusive 1961-1962 time frame that have been positively ID`d as Curators and what their grades are.

If they should happen to be uber-keys (FF 1, AF 15, Hulk 1, JIM 83, TTA 27), all the better!

They don't exist as a known quantity from that time period, they're scattered to the wind--Brulato only bought the Spideys, Tales of Suspense, X-Men, and another run or two, maybe TTA and Avengers, I forget which--if copies from a run are out there and slabbed as Curator then Brulato bought them and has since upgraded from them. FF 2-100 are still owned by the same famous comic creator as far as anyone knows. However, what the OO told to Hauser that I related above indicates that all the early Marvels would be in outstanding shape.