• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ICON imprint from Marvel thoughts

4 posts in this topic

Newsarama ICON news

This ICON thing all boils down to Bendis and Mack falling out with Image. In all honesty, I think the imprint should be named BENDIS because thats the ONLY reason its happening, otherwise it would be an EPIC book.

Now, I love Bendis' stuff and its not a critique on him, but this is MARVEL taking care of its top man. Again, I love MARVEL and always will, but I cant help but feel sorry fot those guys who had thier stuff in the pipe with EPIC and then suddenly had zero. If they were one of the big guns in comics, I'm sure EPIC would still be here.

Bendis is the King of the House of Ideas - would you say no to POWERS if you were Dan Buckly and risk [!@#%^&^] off the guy responsible for a major part of MARVEL's income? I think not.

Again, I dont think its a bad thing, but I do think MARVEL short changed all the other 'creator owned' projects from 'unknows' and this ICON thing is a final kick in the teeth to those guys.

Finaly, the MARVEL PR spin of adding 'creator owned' is starting to wear thin, they have banded that term around for too long without producing the goods. Its becoming another ironic untruth... when it comes from MARVEL is means "we want to be seen as helping the little guy, but BACK OFF!!!!!! if you're not already in our bullpen".

Sad but true.. .and I am a huge MARVEL fan, don't get me wrong, I love MARVEL books, but this is almost insulting.

Humm, I think I've said my bit now...

BRIAN BENDIS

“Happy Passover, muther f****ers!! Sorry, I always wanted to start a post that way.

893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This ICON thing all boils down to Bendis and Mack falling out with Image.

I haven't read anything yet that suggests Bendis or Mack fell out with Image, although that may well have happened in the course of the Valentino-to-Larsen changeover over there. What I've read to date suggests that Marvel was able to-- or was forced to-- offer an employment package with a small creator-owned component to a selective few big name creators. And there is no bigger name than Bendis for Marvel today.

Agreed that there's no way lesser lights would ever get this kind of deal from Marvel.