• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about lighting in my comic book room

15 posts in this topic

Okay, I just installed a new light fixture for my comic book room ( track lighting) and it came with halogen 5o watt cu10 bulbs that have a UV filter 001 on them. I'll only have the lights on in the room when I'm in there--no more than an hour at a time.

Question is: Should I worry about these lights color fading my wall-displayed books? Should I use a lower output eco-friendly CFL bulb instead?

All light damages comics, but hiding them in boxes limits their enjoyment. Find the least powerful, non-direct light that will work and switch out the books every so often.

Congrats on setting up a comic room - show some pics when you are all done.

I just don't see the point in keeping my nice books in dark room hidden in boxes--only able to view them with night-vision goggles. Although, I suspect there may be a collector or two out here who does this.

I bought some LED lights claiming to be safe for artwork, so we'll see.

The Library of Congress and the National archives spend millions of dollars on preserving important documents. These documents are (for 99.99% of the items) stored in a cool, dark and dry environment. For those items that are available to view - Declaration of Independence, etc. - they are protected with elaborate and expensive systems designed to allow viewing and still preserve them.

Simply put, for any comic book worth any kind of money - it's foolish to display them in the light. Please note the word "foolish."

I just don't see the point in keeping my nice books in dark room hidden in boxes--only able to view them with night-vision goggles.

In reality, you're not viewing your comics 24x7 so your concern is a bit melodramatic. They should be kept in the dark whenever you're not looking at them, and when you are, don't use fluorescent lighting, use incandescent lighting, i.e. the same standard low-wattage light bulbs everyone uses for most everything. The other problem with display is that I rarely see people completely block out natural sunlight. Sunlight is worse than even fluorescent lighting.

Comics themselves aren't great for display either since they don't show well from across a room; they're too small to read text or see most details of the artwork. Scans that are blown up and printed on glossy, poster-sized paper are not only safer for the comic, but they present FAR better...it's just a total win-win. :acclaim:

I just don't see the point in keeping my nice books in dark room hidden in boxes--only able to view them with night-vision goggles.

In reality, you're not viewing your comics 24x7 so your concern is a bit melodramatic. They should be kept in the dark whenever you're not looking at them, and when you are, don't use fluorescent lighting, use incandescent lighting, i.e. the same standard low-wattage light bulbs everyone uses for most everything. The other problem with display is that I rarely see people completely block out natural sunlight. Sunlight is worse than even fluorescent lighting.

Comics themselves aren't great for display either since they don't show well from across a room; they're too small to read text or see most details of the artwork. Scans that are blown up and printed on glossy, poster-sized paper are not only safer for the comic, but they present FAR better...it's just a total win-win. :acclaim:

You could tell I was being sarcastic, right?

I was just interested in the best choice for artificial light, since I like having some of my books on the walls. In my opinion, posting copies and scans defeats the purpose of having nice books to show off in the first place.

I debated displaying my nicer comics in my room and decided it wasn't worth it. Now I just keep up comics that I don't mind if they fade...these are readers or non $$$ comics.

If you have expensive comics...store them away from the light and take them out when you are into looking at them.