• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Introducing myself

61 posts in this topic

Howdy all; Mark Irwin here. I've been an inker for Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc., for about 20 years now, as well as art director for Heavy Metal, WildStorm Consumer Products, and Upper Deck. You can see a lot of my work here: geddlee.deviantart.com

Looking forward to talking with folks here on the boards!

WTTB's, Mark......how's bout some anecdotes from the other side of the fence ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

......anything from the professional standpoint is always interesting....I was a wannabe, even went to the Kubert School, but I just couldn't make the cut. The stuff that comes out today boggles my mind.....to meet deadlines, these guys must do the work on Pluto ( where a week lasts 8 months, and then teleport the results home. GOD BLESS...

Ah... Well, a little background. I'm a Kubie graduate, and was lucky enough to start working in my 2nd year there, mostly as a background guy for the local inkers there in NJ, like Mark McKenna (he gave me my first work), Mike Sellers, Ken Branch, Jon Holdredge, etc. Also did a little lettering, whatever I could to pay the bills. Upon graduating, I got a job as the art director for Heavy Metal Magazine, at the time in Manhattan. I was still sending out samples to every publisher, and luckily for me, Wildstorm came calling right after I took the job at hm. Being from San Diego, it was a chance for me to come home and ink. I was there for 5 years, and was kind of the 'fast guy' internally. Whenever books needed to be rushed out or deadlines were blown, I was called in to make up for it. That almost cost me big time, as a lot of the pencilers didn't want me touching their stuff- understandably! Eventually, I figured out how to slow down and put a little more care into my work- I was being paid as the a/d for their consumer products dept., so page rate wasn't quite as important. I got to help hire major talent like Lee Bermejo, and got to ink both him and Carlos D'Anda, as their careers blossomed. I also helped out Scott Williams and Tom McWeeney, along with whatever books editorial needed, so I was really doing a lot, but at the correct pace to get better. When DC bought them out, I stayed on as an inker for a while, but $$ forced me to start looking elsewhere. I ended up taking a job at Upper Deck as a jack of all trades- eventually settling on art director for all their Entertainment properties. Working there really helped me prepare to do many other things outside of just inking. They laid off 2/3rd's of the company last March, so now I'm inking again, along with consulting for a bunch of companies, and writing my own stuff (www.jack-secret.com). For inking, I just wrapped a run on Brightest Day, and have been helping out on Green Lantern for a while now, along with pages here and there over Chris Bachalo over at Marvel. A little bit of everything! I wish we worked on Pluto, but sadly, we just stay up all night long, drink tons of coffee, and don't always realize when our kids have gone to bed...:)

Ah... Well, a little background. I'm a Kubie graduate, and was lucky enough to start working in my 2nd year there, mostly as a background guy for the local inkers there in NJ, like Mark McKenna (he gave me my first work), Mike Sellers, Ken Branch, Jon Holdredge, etc. Also did a little lettering, whatever I could to pay the bills. Upon graduating, I got a job as the art director for Heavy Metal Magazine, at the time in Manhattan. I was still sending out samples to every publisher, and luckily for me, Wildstorm came calling right after I took the job at hm. Being from San Diego, it was a chance for me to come home and ink. I was there for 5 years, and was kind of the 'fast guy' internally. Whenever books needed to be rushed out or deadlines were blown, I was called in to make up for it. That almost cost me big time, as a lot of the pencilers didn't want me touching their stuff- understandably! Eventually, I figured out how to slow down and put a little more care into my work- I was being paid as the a/d for their consumer products dept., so page rate wasn't quite as important. I got to help hire major talent like Lee Bermejo, and got to ink both him and Carlos D'Anda, as their careers blossomed. I also helped out Scott Williams and Tom McWeeney, along with whatever books editorial needed, so I was really doing a lot, but at the correct pace to get better. When DC bought them out, I stayed on as an inker for a while, but $$ forced me to start looking elsewhere. I ended up taking a job at Upper Deck as a jack of all trades- eventually settling on art director for all their Entertainment properties. Working there really helped me prepare to do many other things outside of just inking. They laid off 2/3rd's of the company last March, so now I'm inking again, along with consulting for a bunch of companies, and writing my own stuff (www.jack-secret.com). For inking, I just wrapped a run on Brightest Day, and have been helping out on Green Lantern for a while now, along with pages here and there over Chris Bachalo over at Marvel. A little bit of everything! I wish we worked on Pluto, but sadly, we just stay up all night long, drink tons of coffee, and don't always realize when our kids have gone to bed...:)

......THAT'S what I'm talking about.....GOD BLESS...