• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Introducing myself

61 posts in this topic

howdie..i know you make your living as an inker, but do you have any pencils/layouts to show us? i've always wondered what brings someone into inking ($ I presume!)....someone like terry austin, an awesome inker, was a pretty darn good illustrator too and i wonder, is it a matter of you waiting for the opportunity to do other stuff or while you can meet and beat deadlines as an inker, not so much as a penciler? (totally understandable...it could be awesome, but if it takes you a week to do a page, then you can't work in the industry)

Wow, thanks again for the welcome! I'll answer a few questions here...

Re: The Blob: I'm not a penciler for a few reasons... Too slow, and frankly, not good enough. I can draw reasonably well, but laying out pages, doing backgrounds, etc.- not really my cup of tea. Easier for me to do quick sketches at cons of headshots, that sort of thing.

Re: The Human Torch: My favorite artist? It's tough. Bernie Wrightson and John Buscema were my primary influences, but I'd add Frazetta, Wally Wood, Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, BWS, P. Craig Russell, Rudy Nebres, Mike Ploog, Dave Johnson, Scott Williams... The list goes on and on! Too many good artists to choose from. Let's just say I've always followed the art form for artists, not for characters or publishers...

At some point, I'll figure out how to post pages here. I'll post some of my own, along with some of the gems I've been lucky enough to get during my career in comics. Hopefully, it's all stuff that you guys like too!

Wow, thanks again for the welcome! I'll answer a few questions here...

Re: The Blob: I'm not a penciler for a few reasons... Too slow, and frankly, not good enough. I can draw reasonably well, but laying out pages, doing backgrounds, etc.- not really my cup of tea. Easier for me to do quick sketches at cons of headshots, that sort of thing.

Re: The Human Torch: My favorite artist? It's tough. Bernie Wrightson and John Buscema were my primary influences, but I'd add Frazetta, Wally Wood, Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, BWS, P. Craig Russell, Rudy Nebres, Mike Ploog, Dave Johnson, Scott Williams... The list goes on and on! Too many good artists to choose from. Let's just say I've always followed the art form for artists, not for characters or publishers...

At some point, I'll figure out how to post pages here. I'll post some of my own, along with some of the gems I've been lucky enough to get during my career in comics. Hopefully, it's all stuff that you guys like too!

:thumbsup: Thanks.

Howdy all; Mark Irwin here. I've been an inker for Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc., for about 20 years now, as well as art director for Heavy Metal, WildStorm Consumer Products, and Upper Deck. You can see a lot of my work here: geddlee.deviantart.com

Looking forward to talking with folks here on the boards!

:gossip:

Any good Upper Deck stories?

;)

Upper Deck stories? While I was there, I got an opportunity to work with the very best artists in the world, from Drew Struzan to Mike Mignola to Dave Johnson to Alex Ross to Adam Hughes to Phillippe Caza to Alex Horley, etc. For a while there, while the budgets were good, we really brought in the best artists in the world, and for my money, made the best art-related cards ever. It was a shame to watch that industry go the way of the dodo, but all these things are cyclical. I'm sure at some point, trading cards will come around again.