• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men: First Class is good!!!!!

48 posts in this topic

This movie kind of came out of no where?

I was a little skeptical when i 1st heard the concept and the 1st trailer did NOT look good imo. These last couple trailers have looked awesome though. The casting for Xavier and magneto looks really good. I have a feeling this will end up as my favorite comic movie so far :wishluck:

Despite the clever use of the early '60s backdrop (definitely had a classic James Bond feel to it at times), you've seen it all before.

hm

That's what appealed to me the most when I saw the (UK) trailer before Thor, the film's early 60's Cold War / missile crisis setting, which I thought would make it quite bleak in tone and closer to the early X-Men comics. (shrug)

There were visceral moments in the film, but the tone was similar to all the other X-Men flicks. The lightweight characterizations of the fledgling heroes jarred with the Cold War setting. Occasionally there were glimpses of depth, such as Magneto's origin. A good idea that lost a fair bit in execution, and the constraints of the genre. If you remove the backdrop, the look of the film and the novelty of seeing future X-Men learn about their powers, the plot was by the numbers, as was the overriding theme.

This movie kind of came out of no where?

I was a little skeptical when i 1st heard the concept and the 1st trailer did NOT look good imo. These last couple trailers have looked awesome though. The casting for Xavier and magneto looks really good. I have a feeling this will end up as my favorite comic movie so far :wishluck:

Well I really enjoyed the X-Men movies so this has a good base and history to work with. I wonder if/when Wolverine will make a cameo appearance in the next Iron Man, Hulk, etc movie.

It has worried me that there are so many trailers out there. We to see Thor again with my daughter last night and there was a different one again. I was wondering why they were putting out so much material compared with, say, Captain America.

But I still can't wait to see it -i think Mcavoy is a great actor having watched him on many TV programmes before he hit the big time.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whee:

Now,release the damn movie in America already :taptaptap:

We used to have to wait months for U.S. releases to get over here...how nice that the tables have been turned. :devil:

Could it be the rise of the British empire again?

:devil:

Read this today:

There is a scene in X-Men First Class that is so surprising, funny and quite, quite brilliant, that everyone we spoke to at the preview last night decided we should keep secret.

Sadly the British tabloid press has not regarded it as quite so sacrosanct. All we can say is try to avoid any Daily or Sunday Mirror coverage of the film, or its journalists, if you want to avoid such a spoiler. Possibly stay off Twitter too.

But since it’s out there, like the Ryan Giggs story, it’s going to get talked about. So we are going to talk about it. To avoid the spoiler, do NOT highlight the text below. We know some of you like spoiler coverage, we know most of you hate it. So. Be warned. This is as spoilery as it gets. Okay.

Half way through X-Men: First Class, as Professor X and Magneto are travelling the world looking for mutants, they come across Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman, in a bar. Before they can get a sentence out, Wolverine, without looking at them tells them to “Go F*** yourselves.” They leave.

The character’s appearance gets a laugh, his attitude and language gets a double laugh, repeating on itself, through the audience. It’s a superb scene, well played, well staged, well placed. And it’s the only moment such language is used in the entire film. We loved it.

Spoiler over. Consider yourselves warned. Please do not repeat the spoiler in the comments, or in any article, blog or tweet linking to this site. Also, do not click or hover over this link that may inform you as to when the scene was filmed.

And there is another big cameo in the movie as well, which no British newspaper has spoiled yet. Possibly because they don’t realise it was a cameo. But every single one of you will. And we’re not saying a thing about that one. Yet.

Read this today:

There is a scene in X-Men First Class that is so surprising, funny and quite, quite brilliant, that everyone we spoke to at the preview last night decided we should keep secret.

Sadly the British tabloid press has not regarded it as quite so sacrosanct. All we can say is try to avoid any Daily or Sunday Mirror coverage of the film, or its journalists, if you want to avoid such a spoiler. Possibly stay off Twitter too.

But since it’s out there, like the Ryan Giggs story, it’s going to get talked about. So we are going to talk about it. To avoid the spoiler, do NOT highlight the text below. We know some of you like spoiler coverage, we know most of you hate it. So. Be warned. This is as spoilery as it gets. Okay.

Half way through X-Men: First Class, as Professor X and Magneto are travelling the world looking for mutants, they come across Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman, in a bar. Before they can get a sentence out, Wolverine, without looking at them tells them to “Go F*** yourselves.” They leave.

The character’s appearance gets a laugh, his attitude and language gets a double laugh, repeating on itself, through the audience. It’s a superb scene, well played, well staged, well placed. And it’s the only moment such language is used in the entire film. We loved it.

Spoiler over. Consider yourselves warned. Please do not repeat the spoiler in the comments, or in any article, blog or tweet linking to this site. Also, do not click or hover over this link that may inform you as to when the scene was filmed.

And there is another big cameo in the movie as well, which no British newspaper has spoiled yet. Possibly because they don’t realise it was a cameo. But every single one of you will. And we’re not saying a thing about that one. Yet.

It was impressive when Spider-Man, the FF and the Hulk all turned up. Ooops.

is white queen nice & slutty ?

Nah.
:(

January Jones is so wooden in this film, every time she's in a scene it's like a chair's been thrown into the room. No question she looks good, but the film does raise a question mark as to her acting range.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whee:

Now,release the damn movie in America already :taptaptap:

We used to have to wait months for U.S. releases to get over here...how nice that the tables have been turned. :devil:

Could it be the rise of the British empire again?

:devil:

Err, no. meh

Nah.

January Jones is so wooden in this film, every time she's in a scene it's like a chair's been thrown into the room. No question she looks good, but the film does raise a question mark as to her acting range.

Interesting, I always thought she was rather wooden in Mad Men also but I figured maybe that was the character.

Nah.

:D You said wooden.